DnD

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Re: DnD

Postby Keldoclock » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:08 am

Vami IV wrote:why don't we put together a forum DnD?

the onlygame this forum would play wellbest is Paranoia. And that's not as good online as it is in person.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:36 am

Allen Varney, author of the modern edition of Paranoia, describes BrikWars as a "standout LEGO tabletop effort" on the Escapist. Conspiracy confirmed; Paranoia is a thinly-veiled ripoff of the BrikWars forum itself
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby RedRover » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 am

Play as if you were drunk (many players will not need to fake this)

Seems fairly accurate
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby L-Man » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Maybe a bit out-of-topic (not so much, actually):

Have any of you tried out D&D 5.0? Is it any good? I played one 1st-level campaign, and well, we all died before progressing our characters any further.
But the system simply doesn't look... DECENT enough. Your thoughts?
"Friends are like trees. If you hit them with an axe, they die."
L-Man
Officer

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:59 pm

I like 5E a lot, especially after the nonsense that was 4E.

I'm super old so I've played all the previous editions. If I was still in school and had long chunks of time to get super invested in details, 3.5E would be my favorite. But I've got a job and kids to feed and I can't sink that kind of time and attention anymore. So for a more immediately accessible version that still does a good job of capturing the feel and flavor of D&D, I like 5E a whole lot.
stubby

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I don't want to agree with this but I kinda do.

I'm also getting on in years, have been entrenched in tabletop games since childhood, and have a rapidly decreasing tolerance for bullshit.  I've always thought of each edition of D&D being better than the last.  Though, I've also always thought that D&D has never had what I'd call a "great" system.  Gets more complex toward modern day, though.  3.5 was the better system for roleplaying but 4e was just plain more honest.  Not a great RPG but a pretty excellent Fantasy Combat Simulator.  Which is all D&D, to me, ever really seemed meant for.  (I don't have a problem with this, there are plenty of games to choose from and each should suit a particular playstyle)  Pathfinder blows them both out of the water, though.  Even though it was initially a copy/paste of 3.5, it has grown in options and sophistication over the past few years.

There's a lot to be said for the way 5e eases you right into the action, though.  Though lacking in the sheer customisability of a system like 3.5, there are still enough options to cater to a wide audience looking for a joyful romp through swords and sorcery land.  If I have the time and energy to spare, I'm finding that these kind of templated games save me a lot of time and headache and usually provide the same experience anyway (except, you know, more of it because I didn't spend four thousand hours navigating something like 3.5's absolutely horrid skill system during character creation).
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:28 pm

L-Man wrote:I played one 1st-level campaign, and well, we all died before progressing our characters any further.

If you're playing the beginner campaign, I had the same issue - until I realized it's balanced for four heroes rather than the three we were running. Once I cut 25% of the opponents it was perfect.
stubby

Postby L-Man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Skill system in 3.5 horrid? Hell no. One of my friends loves meddling with skills. Most of our guys make either a big tank, a DPS monster or an Einstein-level-INT mage...
He, on the other hand, always makes a skill-monkey. Heck, he often takes a human just for the extra skillpoint/level...

Coming back to 5e - yeah, I guess you are right. Maybe it's good for a Saturday night of beer and RPGs with characters made in twenty minutes. But since most of my players tend to spend lots of time and passion planning and developing their charcters, I doubt we will play it again anytime soon...

And stubby - it was a campaign custom-made by our DM (I wasn't DM-ing then, for a change) and it wasn't too difficult. We just fucked up really hard :D
L-Man
Officer

Postby Kalvinator » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:05 am

I've only ever played 3.5.
5 sounded intriguing when it first came out, but I haven't gotten a chance to try.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby lordintype » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 pm

stubby wrote:
L-Man wrote:I played one 1st-level campaign, and well, we all died before progressing our characters any further.

If you're playing the beginner campaign, I had the same issue - until I realized it's balanced for four heroes rather than the three we were running. Once I cut 25% of the opponents it was perfect.

I'm currently playing it with a transition between 3-4 players(one of us is unreliable). My friend almost died until we realised he levelled up a while back and didn't get more HP. Soon his character got drunk and worthless for ages.
Spoiler: show
Sloths are notoriously good at disguises
lordintype
something different

Postby L-Man » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Well, I DM'd a small 3-player game a few days ago. Horror/mystery, low levels, grimdark as f**k.

After an epic finale, one of the players (who was presumed to be dead) rushed in and, at the last moment, saved the party from being buried alive by a madman.
What did he do after that? Well, of course, he buried them alive... After taking all their money. Priceless moment :D

And yes, 5e is not so bad after all.
L-Man
Officer

Previous

Return to Lesser Games