Hard Science Fiction Wargame

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm

THATS AWESOME! So, daggers become hand weapons, hatchets become pole axes, and a longsword becomes a two hander.... Thats cool!
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 am

Hurray, we move in the direction of positive grumblings and grammar corrections.

I like grammar and/or physics corrections, I do them often. :roll:

So, anybody want to take a crack at this with me or what?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 pm

gah. i don't know. with work, i'd be willing to help you convert this into Brikwars units, but still... having to calculate exactly how much fuel is lost, needing to know that force = mass times acceleration (given in units of inches per turn per turn for brikwars), and knowing the force of gravity is a bit much for me. and this is someone who has a test on quantum physics on tuesday (Schrodinger is my friend. remember, this is only a HYPOTHETICAL cult he's talking about).

i'm definitely willing to tackle this and then dumb it down. but i refuse to actually PLAY vanguard.

and as for micro and nanofigs, microfigs are approx. 1/3 scale of minifigs, and nanofigs are 1/10th scale. one stud is equivalent to NINE INCHES. a squad of troopers is represented by a 1x1 pip. it's pretty intense.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:57 pm

You know what I wanna see: maxifig and megafig. That'd be totally kickass! That way when someone gets shot, you can be even more specific in what body parts they lose!

Also, nanofig is really fun, because then a normal pistol is a massive nine inch monstrous gun that can blow away swarms of units in one blast :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm trying to remember what they were called at Lego... I think the old Jack Stone figures were called "midifigs," for either "middle" or "medium" (I'm guessing), but they were useless because they didn't come apart. The big Knights Kingdom and Bionicle figures should have been called "maxifigs," but instead got the name "constraction," meaning they were about to give birth (I think).

I had a funny plan to have a KK minifig battle where we kept the maxifig versions off to the side to track armor damage and wounds etc., but no one ever really got excited enough about the idea to bother. It'd've been a lot of extra work for not a lot of extra fun.

(Kind of like all the math in Vanguard . . . . . . . . bam! You totally didn't think this post was going to turn around and be on topic! SURPRISE!)

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:25 am

Yes, I can certainly take a stab at converting rules with you, but again, we'd want to make it much simpler...

Also, as a place to start, I suggest that we say a 1x1 stud is the equivalent of a fighter/bomber type vehicle. That should provide a good starting point, in terms of measurements and such.
-=[ Visage ]=-

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:39 am

lets see that means you can get 1,000 black fighter planes of bricklink for 30 bucks (yes I checked) (3 cents each) that takes out almost all chances for creativity unless you have some uber univese destroyer mothership that holds entire fleets of universe destroyers equiped with nuculer missiles

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Well, yes, but that's why we make fighter/bomber type vehicles practically worthless. Meat shields, something to take hits for your "uber-galacto-mothership". They wouldn't be able to do much damage except to other fighter/bomber type vehicles, and they'd be cheap.
-=[ Visage ]=-

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:53 pm

piltogg wrote:lets see that means you can get 1,000 black fighter planes of bricklink for 30 bucks (yes I checked) (3 cents each) that takes out almost all chances for creativity unless you have some uber univese destroyer mothership that holds entire fleets of universe destroyers equiped with nuculer missiles
exactly. ship to ship combat in space involves so many fighters and bombers that keeping track of them is far too difficult for a normal human being. instead, you get a fleet of... oh, say 3 or 4 large ships that when converted into minifig scale would easily be at least 10 feet long. then you just duke it out with the smaller ships being meatshields with very little individual power, and fire off the massive ship guns at eachother. i actually have a small fleet of nanofig scale ships that i've made, and they have ridiculous weapons, such as a main gun being a size 27 weapon. ahhh yeah.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes, as I said, nanofig scale stuff is fun... I'll start making some ships of my own soon. As in, within the next few hours. I find it's easier to formulate rules for something if you have a couple models to look at.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Converted to brikwars... massive fleets... scales... no wonder you all think this is so freaking complex. You are putting way, way more thought into it then I ever did.

Not any of that is needed. First, why start with massive battles? Second, the mystique about newtonian physics being complex needs to end. It's pretty simple.

Calculating fuel loss for speed change is no different then calulating hit points, accuracy, and ammo. And we should probably begin with some in system gunship skirmishes over asteroids and shipping routes. Simple, easy, and we still have those wonderful fusion driven wars and explosions. Then we begin stepping it up with bigger ships and more ship varieties.

I know for a fact once you see how easy this is you will whine about it being too simple. I have alternate warhead lists and crew rules waiting to go.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 pm

too SIMPLE? please, we don't know the meaning of the word.

and i ain't worried about individual Newtonian physics stuff at all. the thing that bothers me is that in reading only a third of a page, i was bombarded with calculations, acceleration laws, and all sorts of those things of that nature. and 300 pages of this? it makes my head spin wondering what kind of other things they want us to calculate!

oh and just to counter your counter, brikwars uses neither hit points nor ammunition.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Yes it does not use hitpoints, oh silly person. But it has it's own way of them. Though you are right on the ammo.

Also, was not fingering any specific game. Just, that is something people tend to shrug off as standard and a newtonian physics calculation is slightly simpler since it uses constants without the variable of accuracy.

That .pdf is a little rough. It's only about 30 pages and, like I said, it does a weird job being more complicated then the game it tells you about. I'd have to say its creator is just a very well educated bad writer.

Again, progress in a "Hell yeah, my gunship can vape yours" direction.

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Still, no updates? I have a few gunship designs I want to try out and everything.

Must throw fusion powered beams of concentrated light at my enemies! Must unlesh the power of the sun!
:D

Boomer
Hero

Post by Boomer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 am

http://www.inetres.com/gp/anime/cj/cj02.jpg

Muffin

10,000ton warship

1250 ton Standard Binary Plasma Fusion Drive. $250,000,000
Engine can provide 0.5Gs of thrust at maximum load.

Fuel. 2500 tons D/He3.
Fuel tanks weigh 200 tons. Cost is $100,000.

Hull weight, 700tons. Can withstand 1G of thrust. $7,000,000

10 Advanced Comm Suites. 1 ton. $500,000

10 Enhanced Sensors. 10 tons. $1,000,000

Targeting Computer. V-skill = 1. 2 tons. $1,000,000

Weaponry.

22 Medium Laser Apertures. 2200 tons. $440,000,000

1 Spinal Coilgun. 3000tons. $200,000,000

2 Medium Airlocks . 4tons. $50,000

Spin Habitat. 20 tons. $150,000
Contains
20 3rd class bunks. 60 tons. $20,000
1 2nd class room. 6 tons. $25,000