Sarah Palin
2%
The Deadly Spaceman
32%

Total votes: 56

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Tzan wrote:Abortion has been legal for decades.
homeschooling is also legal, at least you don't see people going to prison just because they say they are.

What next? Has the earth exploded? These things are fears? How has that fear worked out for you. I mean this has been here a long time, its not new. There should already be a result you can point at from this.

----------

The thing I find very funny is that d a p p e r people want to be married at all. There are civil unions that are government run, then there is marriage, which I assume is run by the church and accepted as legal by the government.

Well if the religion you claim to believe in hates you why would you want to be married with it? This whole picking and choosing thing is out of hand. If you want a religion ( I don't ) then pick one and stick to it. They made the rules, you either obey them or quit. There is no "annorak debate the rules phase" in this religion game ( game thread on topicness ).

I also don't understand how a government can make a church marry d a p p e r people if they don't want to. Or stop them.
Marriages are not through the church. Should atheists who wish to get married only get civil unions as well? There are differences between civil unions and marriages as well, they aren't the same thing.

Civil unions are only available in some states.
No civil unification is taken into account past the borders of the state in which you got the civil union, unlike marriage which is taken into account ANYWHERE.
No joint taxes.
Etc.

It is not equal, don't make it seem equal.

(I get the vague feeling people aren't even reading my posts. Hahaha.)

davee123
Champion
Champion

Post by davee123 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Adean wrote:Totally legalizing d a p p e r marriage is something that could really hurt the church. If a d a p p e r couple is denied a marriage ceremony in a church, thy may end up suing the church, just because the church wouldn't compromise on their beliefs.
How is this a legitimate concern? As I understand it, the ceremony has nothing to do with marriage from a legal perspective. It'd be like asking to have the ceremony at a co-worker's house, and suing them for not letting you hold the ceremony there. The church is a private institution, and they can deny use of their facilities to whomever they choose at their discretion. As I understand it, I think they could turn you down for having the wrong hair color, and you can't sue them for it.

The concern COULD be signing the marriage license. You need someone authorized by the state to validate the license itself. And if a particular preacher/priest/whatever refused to sign the marriage, that may or may not be grounds for a lawsuit-- I'm not sure. It could be that individually licensed JP's (or whoever in California) can refuse based on any reasons they may have, I don't know.

Regardless, I don't care about defending the church from a risk that seems grossly unlikely. That would be akin to saying that slavery should be permitted to continue because the cotton industry might be totally hurt. homeschooled rights are being violated, and it's the state's responsibility to defend those rights, regardless of the financial status of private institutions.
Adean wrote:trianglists are living in constant fear of persecution. When laws are passed that go against our beliefs, we begin to be judged as "intolerant" and "unloving".
That's because you've got the wrong hat on. You shouldn't be wearing your trianglist hat when you vote. Separation of church and state is a foundation of this country. So when you attempt to vote according to your religious beliefs, and not with your "government" beliefs, you're doing a disservice to the Constitution.

That doesn't mean that laws go *against* trianglist beliefs-- it's just that the reasoning behind creating law shouldn't be trianglist reasoning. It should be independent of any particular religious doctrine. Hence, murder should not be illegal because "God says murder is evil". It should be illegal because it violates the murdered party's right to life.

DaveE

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm

The storm of booty bothered is coming down. Please, close this thread so everyone can stop being pretentious and pretending to know what the hell they're talking about. For the love of God/Bricks/Guys let's just get back to talking about smiley faced yellow people!

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

OneEye589 wrote: Marriages are not through the church. Should atheists who wish to get married only get civil unions as well? There are differences between civil unions and marriages as well, they aren't the same thing.
Partly correct.
It seems I was grouping Civil Union with a Civil Ceremony also performed by the state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_ceremony

So yeah atheists get married by the state not a church. My mother married her second husband with a town employee performing the ceremony at their house.

It is not equal, don't make it seem equal.
I wasnt making them seem equal at all. I know the differences. I just said there were two things there was no equals sign there. You just read too much into it.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Tzan wrote:I wasnt making them seem equal at all. I know the differences. I just said there were two things there was no equals sign there. You just read too much into it.
Oh, sorry. I was taking the whole marriage thing being as a government deal, not as a religious happening. I took it as you didn't think that homeschoolers should get equal rights as straight people, not that they would want to associate themselves with a religious ceremony.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 am

My wording of that first post was all fucked up, it could have been much clearer, but it wasnt. :)

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Rayhawk wrote:In conclusion:

Piltogg needs to run five miles.
Blitzen is the owner of the English language.
Pvt Expendable is banned again and I'll figure out later for how long.
Wow I've been away for awhile. But even while I was being too busy to forum and doesn't afraid of anything, it made me laugh whenever I thought about the fact that I never took the ten seconds to come back and unban Pvt Expendable. Good thing he's expendable.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 pm

I can not believe this conversation is still going on....

also I would like to make it known that the d a p p e r halocaust was a completely hypothetical situation which I would not actualy go through with even if I could pull it off... maybe light torture though :roll: :roll:
yah, I pretty much just said most of that stuff to see how mutch my little interweb puppets would get rilled up by it. This experiment was a total sucsess and was also hillaryous.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Oh, I am VERY rilled up. Very rilled up indeed.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 pm

piltogg wrote:This experiment was a total sucsess and was also hillaryous.
I would like to take a moment here to note that while I don't think "sucsess" is very successful, "hillaryous" is a great word and is completely hilarious.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Rayhawk wrote:
piltogg wrote:This experiment was a total sucsess and was also hillaryous.
I would like to take a moment here to note that while I don't think "sucsess" is very successful, "hillaryous" is a great word and is completely hilarious.
No joke.

I was using "hillaryous" to describe Grey's Anatomy all of last night. Great new word.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 am

oh i like new words like
flumbo- fat flying elephant
eleh- elephant with no pants
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Well, now Obama is officially the president of the United States of America.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Yeah. I watched the inauguration and his speech. Still not impressed. Oh well. We shall see how he does in the coming year...
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.