Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Re: Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

Postby knolli » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Many strange visions attack his mind. Of course Nebul is confused. He has lost contact with reality for an unknown duration. I don't expect you to answer to every single vision he had. What happens or happened there is out of your control anyway.
What happens right now is that Quanire is dragging a very confused Nebul out of the crypt.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Sure, Chainmail would be better than the leather armor I wear now. If I can get some of the same high quality make, where my mobility isn't hindered and it is relatively quiet, I'm good for that. I'll take a crossbow and a quarrel of bolts. I assume I would have left my sling and quarterstaff topside in the first place but I would have grabbed something more practical when we were first gearing up. A handax and a short spear, good for tunnel fighting. If the short spear was still too long, I would have chopped a foot off the end and wrapped it for grip. If there are any healing supplies here, I'll take as much as I can reasonably carry without weighing me down.

I'll try to identify the magic item. I'll take it with me regardless, though.

I'll mostly stay behind with the boys and Mat but I want eyes on, so I'll move up a little and keep hidden to the tunnel's side.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm

The normal gear is all right, even the Defenders's mail coat. Has Kurgen any fighting experience or combat training?
If you don't have a special magic item in mind I will name one, but I wanted you to make the choice. It is a simple trinket and something a commoner could afford. It is easy to identify and easy to use since it was meant for a fool who dreamed to be an adventurer. You have seen things like that offered at the markets regularly.

Kurgen: You spy around the corner carefully after you have put down your backpack and your first aid kit. It would just hinder your movement if you get into a fight and wouldn't be of much use either as long there is fighting.
The corridor is dark and would be pitch black if a doorframe wasn't lit from within. You see human sized silhouettes there. Judging by the sound they are trying to force their way through. You hear the cracking of wood and the yells of the trapped dwarves. You see Thorin and his Defenders only because you know they must be there. They get in position to attack the humans' right flank.
Your feeling that something is wrong is getting stronger. You fear what might happen if you don't figure it out soon.
Eadmund silently appears by your side. He whispers: "What's going on? I can't see anything in this pitch black hole."
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 am

Darkvision Goggles? Seems useful for an adventurer headed down into the dark depths.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:56 am

Yes, you can have the goggles. But be aware that they may run out of power at one point. Cheap quality. Do you want to use them now?
I had hoped you might solve this small riddle without further hints.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:05 am

Sure, I'll use them now.

knolli wrote:I had hoped you might solve this small riddle without further hints.

Do you mean that I did or that I missed it?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 am

What are the bits of information that don't fit together? What do you deduct from them? What do you think is going on, not only here but on a greater level? Does Kurgen think the same? What do you think will happen next?
knolli
Dimmy

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 am

Kurgen: You put on the goggles and immediately your surroundings appear to be lit by green fire. Your field of vision is drastically narrowed and it makes you feel sick but you can see the Defenders and the humans clearly now.
Three intruders hack at a sturdy iron plated door with axes and already have punched some holes through the wood while nearly twenty more surround them loosely. But they aren't standing there as you would expect from trained fighters. Not even like bored thugs in a pub. They aren't chatting. No, they slouch there motionlessly.
Even when the first volley of bolts hits their (rather nonexistent) ranks, they don't even flinch.
Three seconds later ten of them turn as one and stare directly at the Defenders who should be safely hidden in the darkness.

The humans are armed with normal hand weapons (swords, axes, maces and the like) and shields. Many of them wear leather armor, sturdy boots and simple helmets. A few wear cloaks that hide much of their body.

Edit: As a dwarf you already have Darkvision, so I change the rules a little: a dwarf and similar creatures see better in the dark than humans but still need some light. The goggles enable you to see even in pitch black darkness without any source of visible light at all.

Maybe we should find better names for these abilities i.e. Nightvision and Darkvision.
Last edited by knolli on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:18 am

Undead?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Perhaps. How would you tell? You see no obviously lethal wounds or open bones on them. Although the bolts in the stomach must hurt like hell.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby knolli » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:34 am

Any questions or problems? Things you want me to clarify?
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:54 am

knolli wrote:Edit: As a dwarf you already have Darkvision, so I change the rules a little: a dwarf and similar creatures see better in the dark than humans but still need some light. The goggles enable you to see even in pitch black darkness without any source of visible light at all.

I wondered about this. But since it seemed like it was dark to me, I just assumed your Dwarves didn't have it. So, to be clear, then, in D&D terms, your Dwarves have Low Light Vision. The magic goggles provide true Darkvision.

knolli wrote:Any questions or problems? Things you want me to clarify?

No, not really. I don't know what's up but I can tell something is wrong, right? If I'm absolutely sure:

I charge out from the tunnel opening. "Fall back," I yell, "Something's not right!"

If I'm not sure yet:

Something feels off but I can't place my finger on it. I reach down inside and call forth my magic, opening my third eye, seeing the world through the gaze of a spellcaster. I focus that gaze through the goggles onto the groups ahead, hoping to see something hidden and maybe get a clue about what is going on here. Eadmund prods my shoulder but I hold up a hand to forestall him. "Just a moment...I'm trying to See."

If the second scenario, do I see any hidden magical connections. Like, perhaps, a mind control spell or a necromantic animating spell? Or even just some boosters that might explain the lack of reaction to pain?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:57 pm

We decided long ago that we don't want to stick to the list of spells from the Dungeon Slayer rulebook, or the level requirements. Can you post a list of the spells you think your character should be able to cast, a list of spells you would like him to know and a list of spells you would have him learn in the future?
What we will not change is the way magic is handled: Casters don't have a mana pool and thus don't need to keep track of their spell points. You simply channel the mana that surrounds you. How much you can channel at a time depends on your talent and training (and maybe on your surroundings and other factors), but you can throw around low level spells nearly infinitely.

For some reason I thought there were more squires with you, about five or six, but when I reread the first part of the story today, I realized that there are only three. Since I said that there are about as much Defenders with you as there are humans, that would make also be three. I already called five by name... And when I stated the number of treasure hunters, I thought you were about 15 men strong, not 9... Well what's done is done. So three squires, one Mat, five Defenders plus Thorin, and unknown number of dwarves trapped behind the door versus 23 treasure hunters. Good luck.

Kurgen: You open your magic senses and your fears come true. The treasure hunters are definitely under the influence of a spell. A sinister one. You feel the taint of blood magic. But you can't identify the exact spell, its school or its full effects other than the obvious. Mind control seems very plausible. The way they act like one mind, the ability to ignore pain. Considering how powerful that spell is, the caster or at least a magic focus or relay must be nearby. And yes, there: Three of the cloaked guys seem to be linked in a circle to enhance their magic powers.

By now the ten fighters have marched at the line of Defenders and the fight is about to begin. Eadmund is staying at your side impatiently and waiting for you to answer his question.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:26 am

knolli wrote:We decided long ago that we don't want to stick to the list of spells from the Dungeon Slayer rulebook

Did we? I missed that. I've just been running off the assumption that I can cast a healing spell. I remember reading something in those rules about casters being able to sense and detect magic, so I've also been using that. Other than that, I'd guess that most of my spells would be focused on physiology. Various and sundry healing spells (both personal and AoE), physical boosters to toughness, agility, strength, spells to alter or expand the five senses, as well as the usual countermagics. I wouldn't go learning dark magic (like spells that debuff and weaken or kill) but I'd want to be familiar enough with it that I could counter it with my healing magics.

"Blood and Thunder! It looks like they might be mind controlled." I turn around and hiss down the tunnel, "Mat! Mat, come here!" Mattrim stomps up, hunched over, looking unhappy.

"What is it? I'm not your dog to be..."

"Shush. Listen." I hand him the goggles. "Put these on like Bonn-o-Tron. You see the fight about to start?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Just beyond it, you see that circle of men? They're mind controlling the humans there, I think. I noticed you took some useful items...can you use them now to disrupt their casting?" I can hear the combat beginning in earnest.

"Yeah, but why would I want to? Those guys were ready to kill us a moment ago, remember? Besides, they look like they have things well in hand."

I try not to sigh. "Normally, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But whatever spell they're using is dark magic. It must be blocking their pain receptors. Eventually, the humans will win through." I hold up a hand to forestall him because, even though I can't really see him well now, I know it's coming. "And when they win through, they will find us and these boys. They seem to have no compunction about robbing the wills of their own kind." I can kind of see him nodding along now. "If you can disrupt them, and maybe cover our charge, the boys and I can make a run for the casters while the dwarves keep their puppets busy. Sound like a plan?"
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby knolli » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:46 am

The decision was more implicit than anything else when I allowed Nebul to use a modified Weaken spell to disguise himself.
So you want to stick to the classic White Mage archetype (heal, support and antimagic)? Maybe the use of protective sigils or runes?

Kurgen: "I can't say I like the idea but... to hell with it." Mat vanishes into the darkness just when the 'puppets' meet the Defenders. You can't see clearly what is going on, but it sounds horrible. Even more so since the humans fight without the usual yelling and screaming.
Seconds later the situation changes drastically. The sound of steel on steel is replaced by tearing flesh and breaking bones. Men cry in pain. You guess that Mat succeeded.
"Now!" you order the three squires. Once again Eadmund proves to be a quick thinker as two lanterns flare up and shine directly into the enemies' eyes, blinding them while you charge.
The four of you finish of the casters swiftly. But there are still nearly ten humans there at the door to the library. Their confusion turns into bloodlust when they see that you attacked them.
"Together!", Eadmund commands and he and Dustin take positions at your side. You struggle to fight off the enraged treasure hunters and your line is pressed hard when the door to the library openes and more dwarfs attack them from behind.
It is no glorious battle. It is a massacre in the dark. But even when it is obvious that they have lost the humans won't surrender. You shout: " Step down! Surrender!" again and again but to no avail. In the end you are forced to kill nearly all of them and injure the rest so severely that they are unable to fight on like Bonn-o-Tron.
After the short but brutal bloodbath the time has come to fulfill your role as a healer. While Thorin reports to the leader of the group of dwarfs you have rescued, you treat your wounded. To your surprise you have no losses and no one is seriously hurt. The Defenders were saved by their experience and sturdy armor, the squires and you had the moment of surprise at first and were then distracting your opponents from the dwarfs in their back. All in all a nearly perfect tactic.
knolli
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games