Black Mesa + Operation: Black Mesa

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Black Mesa + Operation: Black Mesa

Post by Vami IV » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 am

Ever played or seen the original Half Life, Half Life: Opposing Force, Decay, or Blue Shift? Then this thread is probably for you.
Today, I have two articles of interest to show you: Black Mesa and Operation: Black Mesa.

These "mods" are complete and total conversions of the original game into the modern Source engine, and they are completely fan-made, with the full blessings of Valve. Unfortunately, the pic for Black Mesa is too big to post here, so just use the link/URL I have provided.

I'll split this into two sections.

Black Mesa
A work in progress, but playable conversion of the base game (Half Life: Source) into the Source engine. Once again take up the mantle of Gordon Freeman. This project opened the door into this field, and inspired Operation: Black Mesa (more on this later). This game is still in the works, and I believe it won't be free when its finished. Play it now. I highly recommend that you install this using the installation guide on their website. Do to this, you will have to download it from Game Front I did this, it's perfectly safe. Just use the links provided in the guide).
Sample photo:
http://www.blackmesasource.com/images/p ... image4.jpg

Black Mesa hompage

Operation: Black Mesa
This project is about 5 years old and is currently not playable, but it will be free-to-play (as far as I currently know). Unlike Black Mesa, which it was inspired by, it does not currently have it's own site, and is hosted on Moddb. You will news and what you need to know on their page there. Operation:Black Mesa will cover Half Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift.
Sample pic:

Operation: Black Mesa Moddb page

Vami IV

Re: Black Mesa + Operation: Black Mesa

Post by Vami IV » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 am

Quick update, Operation: Black Mesa is actually just a remake of Opposing Force, and the studio, Tripmine Studios working on this project is also working on a remake of Blue Shift called Guard Duty. Additionally, Tripmine studios is looking for animators, coders, and programmers. If you are skilled in these fields, I implore to consider these taking these openings.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 pm

I think there's a thread around here from when Black Mesa first came out...

Either way, phenomenal game. Way better than half life 2. It's about time I ran through it again, although I wish they'd hurry up with the Xen portion of the game.

Vami IV

Post by Vami IV » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I shamelessly admit that I suck at this game enough that I had to use god mode for Blast Pit when around the tentacles. But Black Mesa is a really fun game, if a little difficult at times.