Fallout 3

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Fallout 3

Postby Vami IV » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Disclaimer, aka me shooting down arguments against this thread
I did my homework, in the form of a search of this forum. yes, a thread for this game is late and maybe unnecessary. I digress, as Fallout 3 is probably one of the best games ever made (at least, by Bethesda).

Subject Matter, aka Fallout 3
Fallout 3, as we know it, was released in 2008. It "started" as a Black Isle project set in the Hoover Dam - Las Vegas area (as seen in New Vegas) called "Van Buren." But, this idea went out the window when Black Isle became bankrupt, and sold the rights and wielded it's work on the game to Bethesda. Bethesda threw Black Isle's work in the dumpster, and began building Fallout 3 from the ground up, and it became the first, uhh, first (or third, if you're weird) person 3D game in the entire series. However, a game you might remember called The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion took priority, and Fallout 3 vanished into a place we gamers call Half life 3 Development Hell, and failed to reappear until about 4-5 years later.

But, fortunately, it was released in 2008, and took the gaming world by storm. It received the Game of The Year award, and became a instant hit with modders. Shortly thereafter, 4 equally-awesome DLC add-ons were released, adding even more awesome characters, weapons, storylines, and locations.

Now, I said this was on of the most awesome games ever. I will list my reasoning(s) on this decision.
-Soundtrack is very consistent with the setting, and is extensive enough to not become repetitive. Believe me, the Soundtrack is a complete pearl. I'll never think of "I Don't Want to Set The World on Fire" the same way again.
-Characters are all interesting and diverse. You'll find enjoyable characters such as Three Dog, to shady characters like Burke in Megaton. The mix of characters and personalities in this game is amusing and never tiring.
-Same goes for armor. weaker armors will always be abundant and reliable, and better things like Power Armor is extremely tough and reliable, but rare and exspensive, requiring a perk to use / wear in the first place.
-Gameplay is fucking fantastic. From the level up sound / music to fighting a running battle with street thugs or hordes of Super Mutants with the Brotherhood of Steel, you will almost (if ever) tire of the gameplay. You will feel terror, you feel inspired, you will feel as though you were fighting alongside an army of Viking badasses against an unending horde of Ghouls and Super Mutants (I may or may not be exaggerating).
-Voice acting is always enjoyable and of the highest quality.
-Quests are plentiful and enjoyable. Fight mutants, explore a ruined city area, rescue stranded Mercs from a mutant-infested chunk of post-apocalyptic Washington D.C., and much much more.
-Locations are plentiful and cleverly woven into the lore. Some are dangerous, some are "safe," others are merely ruined shells of a world that ended 200 years ago.
-Finally, the DLCs, Operation: Alaska, Point Lookout, The Pitt, Broken Steel, and Mothership Zeta. All as good as the base game, adding EVEN MORE QUALITY to the base game, and just as enjoyable.
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Long range missiles and drone strikes? Son, I'm Semaj Nagirrac. 'Nuff said.
Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Zupponn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 pm

So, what's the point of this thread?
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby The Shadowscythe » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:13 am

I didn't like Fallout 3 at all, it just didn't feel "finished" to me in its original incarnation. That and it felt as if even your lowest level equivalent foes where on some kind of massive jump in power when compared to yourself at the start of the game, it just drove me off from the start.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Duerer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 am

It was pretty decent, but way inferior to its predecessors in terms of story, NPCs and overall possibilities.
Duerer
Minifig

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Fallout 3 is a pretty good game, but it's still probably the weakest fallout in the series. That says a lot about what good games the other three are (fuck tactics).

Anyways, I hated pretty much all of the DLC, barring point lookout and broken steel. I don't like that they force you to go to another area, and mothership zeta doesn't even let you go home until you finish!

One of my biggest gripes with the new fallouts is how damn easy they are, unfortunately. Run into trouble? No worries, just pause the game real quick and eat all of your food so you're back up to full health. That really breaks the immersion for me. Of course, that never stopped me from beating both games about 7 times back to back.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Tzan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:16 pm

I liked Fallout Tactics.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Maverick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 am

Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Diarrhoea Forever
Diarrhoea Forever

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Vami IV » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 am

Maverick wrote:I liked http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(video_game)
Too hipster for you

Fun fact:
Wasteland and Fallout 1-2 were all developed by Black Isle Studios.

If it weren't for EA, Fallout would likely still be called Wasetland.
Tzan wrote:

Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Long range missiles and drone strikes? Son, I'm Semaj Nagirrac. 'Nuff said.
Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Battlegrinder » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm very much of two minds as to how I feel about 3. A lot of the plot felt recycled from 2, and it dredged up a lot of elements of the setting that I really hated (FEV and the Enclave being the big two), and the constant need to climb through the sewers and subways anytime you went through the DC ruins got on my nerves, and I really missed the larger parties from earlier games. On the other hand, I liked the weapons and armor selection, the environments/exploration, and the companion system (I really hated having to deal with the companion quest system in NV, at least the way it was implemented).

NV fixed a lot of the issues I had with 3, though it also introduced a few of its own. The changes to the various perks were nice (jury rigging FTW!), as were the new armors, weapon mods, and weapons (though the lack of automatic weaponry was annoying), and I liked how the DLCs were better integrated into the main story than they were in 3. I was also so happy that you could fully repair weapons to 100% without having to max out your repair skill, which was something that drove me insane in 3 (now, if only they could do something similar about lockpicking/hacking). The main issues I had with it were the difficultly in finding medium/heavy armor for repairs, the fact that you can't play past the endgame (you'd have thought they'd learn not to do that after the fiasco with 3), and the increased cost of everything. This last point was the worst, since it's a lot harder too find caps, and I'm an obsessive collector (that last point is also why I dislike the fact that many weapons can only be crafted if you take certain perks). The last thing that bugged me was the fact that of all the weapons and armor that got ported to NV from 3, the Metal Blaster (my absolute favorite weapon from 3), didn't. :fu:
"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Vami IV » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:I'm very much of two minds as to how I feel about 3. A lot of the plot felt recycled from 2, and it dredged up a lot of elements of the setting that I really hated (FEV and the Enclave being the big two), and the constant need to climb through the sewers and subways anytime you went through the DC ruins got on my nerves, and I really missed the larger parties from earlier games. On the other hand, I liked the weapons and armor selection, the environments/exploration, and the companion system (I really hated having to deal with the companion quest system in NV, at least the way it was implemented).

NV fixed a lot of the issues I had with 3, though it also introduced a few of its own. The changes to the various perks were nice (jury rigging FTW!), as were the new armors, weapon mods, and weapons (though the lack of automatic weaponry was annoying), and I liked how the DLCs were better integrated into the main story than they were in 3. I was also so happy that you could fully repair weapons to 100% without having to max out your repair skill, which was something that drove me insane in 3 (now, if only they could do something similar about lockpicking/hacking). The main issues I had with it were the difficultly in finding medium/heavy armor for repairs, the fact that you can't play past the endgame (you'd have thought they'd learn not to do that after the fiasco with 3), and the increased cost of everything. This last point was the worst, since it's a lot harder too find caps, and I'm an obsessive collector (that last point is also why I dislike the fact that many weapons can only be crafted if you take certain perks). The last thing that bugged me was the fact that of all the weapons and armor that got ported to NV from 3, the Metal Blaster (my absolute favorite weapon from 3), didn't. :fu:

This is pretty much my view of Fallout 3, save for the subway bits. That was a mainstream for an mid-game me, as the raiders and other shit down there provided ammo and xp.

I thought it only added to the adventure (except for those fucking loading screens) and they saved my life more than once. Plus, the Fat Man in the White House was more than worth it (to me, at least).
Tzan wrote:

Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:49 am

My favorite part about Fallout 3 was wandering aimlessly. There so much random shit to stumble upon.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby mgb519 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:48 am

Yeah, I found that made the world seem really alive. Didn't get that so much from NV.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:54 pm

I liked Fallout 3.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Vami IV » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Tzan wrote:I liked Fallout 3.

What were your thoughts on New Vegas?
Tzan wrote:

Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Tzan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm

I should have gotten the DLC, but I never did.
To many other games to play.
Tzan
Blockguy

Next

Return to Lesser Games