Did someone say MOBA?

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Re: Did someone say MOBA?

Postby Bad Wolf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:28 pm

mgb519 wrote:Maybe I'll finally get around to trying Dota this weekend or something.

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. DotA is the type of game that's best to start by playing with others who have at least some experience with it. I don't know about the other guys, but I'd be perfectly willing to show you the ropes. We could always get some group custom games going to get you and anyone else interested in trying started. If you have any experience with other MOBAs that will certainly help too.
"You can't kill a dragon with four wizards!" -Random Guy on the Street

Bad Wolf
Champion
Champion

Postby Zupponn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:30 am

Bad Wolf wrote:
Zupponn wrote:Which one?  My Steam one?

Yes. Totally was not expecting it. :lol:

Well, I do have over 100 games with Earthshaker.

Also, if I'm ever on Steam and someone wants to play, just message me.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Bad Wolf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 am

Zupponn wrote:Also, if I'm ever on Steam and someone wants to play, just message me.

Yeah I actually saw you on yesterday, unfortunately I had homework to attend to. That commercial wasn't gonna write itself on its own  :roll:

Bad Wolf
Champion
Champion

Postby SnakeMittens » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 am

I apologize, but I ignored your friend invite. I forgot I even posted in this thread, I've been so inactive on this forum...

So if you want, resend that invite.
SnakeMittens
Dimmy

Postby Bad Wolf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 pm

For once I don't think I have much going on this weekend. Any of you guys gonna be available to play? I'm thinking we could get a group game going.

Bad Wolf
Champion
Champion

Postby Zupponn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm going to be in Minneapolis for a MTG tournament, so I won't be around.
Zupponn

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Zupponn wrote:I'm going to be in Minneapolis for a MTG tournament, so I won't be around.

Good luck. Running that Black and Green deck?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:13 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Zupponn wrote:I'm going to be in Minneapolis for a MTG tournament, so I won't be around.

Good luck. Running that Black and Green deck?

No.  It didn't hold up in the current meta, so I'll either be on Mono Black Devotion or Mono Red Aggro.
Zupponn

Postby Nimja » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 am

I'm up for a game of DOTA 2  or two on the weekends.Playing Pugna and Timbersaw. Not very well.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Zupponn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Nimja wrote:I'm up for a game of DOTA 2  or two on the weekends.Playing Pugna and Timbersaw. Not very well.

Well, those are 2 higher skilled heroes to master.  Timber is especially tough, but if you can get good at him, you can totally be a force in games.

One thing that you might not know is that Pugna is a pusher.  His Nether Blast does massive damage to towers if you hit them with it.  You also have to be very careful with him as he's super squishy.

If you're looking to learn something easier to just get basic mechanics down, Witch Doctor and Earthshaker are decent supports that are not too difficult to play well, while Drow Ranger and Sniper are decent Carries that you can use to practice last hitting.

No matter what you do, I would recommend sticking with 1-3 heroes to start and play them almost exclusively.  Make sure that you enjoy playing those heroes as well, as they will probably become your main fallback option later on when you don't know what you want to pick.  Also, knowing exactly what your abilities do lets you focus on the other things in the game like stacking, farming, positioning, warding, counterwarding, etc.

For example, I started with Tusk and played about 10-20 games with him until I found Earthshaker, which I played almost exclusively for a few months.  Now Earthshaker is my fallback option when I don't know what to pick, but I can play most of the heroes in the game decently.  These days, almost a year and a half later, I would consider him to be my second best hero behind Dark Seer.
Zupponn

Postby Bad Wolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:02 am

Yeah those are some great options. Sand King is another great hero to learn initiators. Blink Dagger + his Ultimate wrecks teamfights.

EDIT - Earth Shaker and Sand King were my original fall back heroes. They're nice since they require at least some skill to use while still being easy to understand. Plus, who doesn't like big, hulking beast dudes?

Bad Wolf
Champion
Champion

Postby mgb519 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 am

I'm going to try Dota 2 for the first time today.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 am

mgb519 wrote:I'm going to try Dota 2 for the first time today.

Good Luck!
Zupponn

Postby KirdyKing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 am

Bad Wolf wrote:So I'm just curious if there are any League of Legends or DotA 2 players around these parts (I know there are some, I've noticed through sigs and the like). I'm not sure how often I'd be able to play, but it would be fun to get a game together sometime. And hey, if we got enough people together, perhaps a Brik Wars DotA clan could be in order (...unless there already is one???), or a team in either game (in my experience those don't tend to last long though, even with people I personally know). Anyways just thought I'd post this, since I didn't notice anything about it on here. As always, stay classy  8)

PS. In case anyone asks, yes I have played Smite and DawnGate, and nearly every other decent MOBA since the ol' WarCraft 3 days, I just haven't been able to stick with them like LoL and DotA.

PSS. Also in case anyone asks, yes Heroes of the Storm looks awesome, and yes I will be playing it. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, go here: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/ Looks awesome doesn't it? You're welcome  :wink:

I play smite.
KirdyKing
Champion
Champion

Postby Nimja » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Zupponn wrote:
Nimja wrote:I'm up for a game of DOTA 2  or two on the weekends.Playing Pugna and Timbersaw. Not very well.

Well, those are 2 higher skilled heroes to master.  Timber is especially tough, but if you can get good at him, you can totally be a force in games.

That's the reason I like him. I played about 5 games, and got a good startphase for most, and its so fun just tossing chakrams everywhere. Especially when my friend was playing Natures Prophet.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games