Thinking of using LEGO for Savage Worlds...

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Thinking of using LEGO for Savage Worlds...

Postby Nitewatchman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I just picked up the Savage Worlds Deluxe rulebook for the very nice price of ten dollars, and I noticed an interesting thing when reading the rules....like Brikwars, their measurement system is in Inches. So I thought to my self, "Nitewatchman, this could be a good reason to organize your shit and play with LEGOs again. Heck, maybe even to Brikwar."

Has anyone else used LEGOs as miniatures and terrain for this system? Or perhaps any other tabletop RPG?
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Re: Thinking of using LEGO for Savage Worlds...

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I once played a game where you had to shove stuff up your ass and I used lego if that counts.
Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Postby Zupponn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 pm

That must have been painful.  I mean, stepping on Lego is brutal enough as it is.

@Nitewatchman:  I have a friend that uses Lego for some of his tabletop RPGs.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

I use Lego for many of my tabletops.  Minifigs are superior to miniatures, thanks to customization.  I remember starting with Star Wars, way back when.

Terrain doesn't work very well unless you have some kind of unavoidable encounter based on something you built, but super basic terrain is ok.  Like, baseplates and simple bricks to create outlines.  Not very cool looking, but it'll do.  I'd say use the minifigs but regular maps or dry erase.  I have a ton of Heroscape tiles that are perfect for outdoor terrain, so I tend to use those.  I also picked up some round bases from BrickArms awhile back that make keeping minifigs upright much less of a pain in the ass.  Of course, two 2x3 plates side by side works just as well (so that you have a ring of studs around the minifig's feet) but tends to overlap 1 inch squares on a grid map.  Not a problem if you're using inches and not grid or hex maps, though.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby loafofcheese » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:42 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I use Lego for many of my tabletops.  Minifigs are superior to miniatures, thanks to customization.  I remember starting with Star Wars, way back when.

Terrain doesn't work very well unless you have some kind of unavoidable encounter based on something you built, but super basic terrain is ok.  Like, baseplates and simple bricks to create outlines.  Not very cool looking, but it'll do.  I'd say use the minifigs but regular maps or dry erase.  I have a ton of Heroscape tiles that are perfect for outdoor terrain, so I tend to use those.  I also picked up some round bases from BrickArms awhile back that make keeping minifigs upright much less of a pain in the ass.  Of course, two 2x3 plates side by side works just as well (so that you have a ring of studs around the minifig's feet) but tends to overlap 1 inch squares on a grid map.  Not a problem if you're using inches and not grid or hex maps, though.

Do you think minifigs would work well for Shadowrun? I just bought 5e Shadowrun and I'm thinking of DMing a campaign.
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:10 pm

They've worked well for everything I've used them for.  Some games are geared toward miniature combat, like D&D 4e, while others are more abstract, like M&M, BESM, or FATE.  In miniature specific games, detachable equipment is a big plus.  In abstract systems, the figs are just a cool bonus.  Players can customize their characters to look how they want, given the large range of available options from both lego and clone brand sources.  They're still useful for relational positioning but no more so than a regular mini or pawn.  Especially since most of these systems don't deal with facing in any real way.

I haven't played Shadowrun 5e yet, though I own SR4 and below.  I used figs for a game I ran in SR3.  Seemed to work out alright.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Return to Lesser Games