Bann154's Painting and Modelling Adventures

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

bann154
bann is the mann

Re: Bann154's Painting and Modelling Adventures

Post by bann154 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:54 pm

So i went out and got the new Dark Imperium starter box for 8th edition and i must say that the models are impressive. The captain is really cool looking the gravis armor is simply amazing in my eyes. Im not really a fan of the jetpack dudes they just look a little clumsy and not really that agile or useful. The deathguard are by far some of the best models i have ever seen they pack so much detail its incredible i have been waiting for death guard for a while now and now that they finally have some models im pretty happy with them.

As for the game itself i had a buddy come out and play a couple games and from what i have experienced so far is that it is very unbalanced. First game we played he pulled out dark angels and i decided to use my admech since i have barely used them and my kastellan robots were the first entire unit to die mostly because of psychic powers. Smite is really powerful in this edition i must say and it may even be a little broken in my opinion but thats just me i guess.

Anyway tonight i broke out my paints and worked on my first primaris marine and i must say he is probably the best marine i have ever painted.
I think these marines are honestly easier to paint than normal marines.
The other side.
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Le double post. Ok i finished up the first squad a couple days ago the bolter case turned out much better with these guys. I still haven't gotten a chance to hit up GW to pick up some death guard green and another pot of agrax earthshade yet so my death guard remain unbuilt and unpainted.
What do you guys think?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Very dope. A solid tabletop squad paintjob. The highlighting is visible, a little thick but that's okay because that kind of thing is far less noticeable in a cluster of figs. Excellent work on the chest eagles, they really pop. The guns and purity seals are also well done. They add much needed contrast and detail to the darkness of the overall armor. Shoulder trim too, and it's a clean line from this vantage, so well done on that as well. Your basing is very well done, clean and even and well colored. That said, I hate basing. Just a personal preference, though, so feel free to ignore me on that part.

On closer inspection, the eyes are really nicely highlighted and I like the roughed up leather (though I'm not usually a fan of leather on space marines, it looks good here). The drybrushed silver hands on the leader are something of a triumph but it doesn't work well on the other marines. The hand blends too easily into the color of the gun and makes it look kinda like you forgot to paint the hands. Perhaps a different shade of silver/boltgun for them?

Overall, good job, mate. Keep at it. I'd like to see your armies when they're done.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Very dope. A solid tabletop squad paintjob. The highlighting is visible, a little thick but that's okay because that kind of thing is far less noticeable in a cluster of figs. Excellent work on the chest eagles, they really pop. The guns and purity seals are also well done. They add much needed contrast and detail to the darkness of the overall armor. Shoulder trim too, and it's a clean line from this vantage, so well done on that as well. Your basing is very well done, clean and even and well colored. That said, I hate basing. Just a personal preference, though, so feel free to ignore me on that part.

On closer inspection, the eyes are really nicely highlighted and I like the roughed up leather (though I'm not usually a fan of leather on space marines, it looks good here). The drybrushed silver hands on the leader are something of a triumph but it doesn't work well on the other marines. The hand blends too easily into the color of the gun and makes it look kinda like you forgot to paint the hands. Perhaps a different shade of silver/boltgun for them?

Overall, good job, mate. Keep at it. I'd like to see your armies when they're done.
Thanks for the feedback! Honestly i never planned on basing my guys but decided to give it a shot to give a bit of contrast. To me a black model on a black base is just a little to much black. Do you think that i should maybe try a highlight on the hands rather than an entirely different color? Or just a lighter metal perhaps?

I also tried my hand at a lightning design for power weapons/force weapons and this was the result i basecoated the blade with abbadon black followed by boltgun metal and two washes of nuln oil (i should have only done one) then the lightning itself was done with runefang steel and finished off with a glaze of guilliman blue. Let me know what you guys think and if i should use this on some models.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 am

bann154 wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Honestly i never planned on basing my guys but decided to give it a shot to give a bit of contrast. To me a black model on a black base is just a little to much black. Do you think that i should maybe try a highlight on the hands rather than an entirely different color? Or just a lighter metal perhaps?
No problem. And you're right, black base might have been too much. If you want the hands to be metal, I'd go with a much different color to the boltgun. Lighter will be tricky, so maybe just gradually mix with white until you find the right contrast but before you make them too bright. Still a better idea than darker, though. Use highlights if you want the hands to be uniformly black with the armor but want them to pop against the gun and add definition.
bann154 wrote:I also tried my hand at a lightning design for power weapons/force weapons and this was the result
This is a solid design. Just some thoughts: In this case, since we're talking about a weapon sparkling with visible energy, I'd flip the script and say go for brightness and deep contrast. Perhaps give the blade a drybrush of steel to create the illusion of sharpness via directional strokes and to give definition to the center ridgeline of the blade. For the lightning itself, you might try your hand at a simple gradation. 3 shades of the same color works really well for a simple effect. Lay down the thickness of your line with your darkest blue, perhaps something darker than guilliman. Fade that blue out around the edges, lay a thinner line of Guil blue over that, a skyblue or sky blue/white mix over that, and a very thin white line through the middle. I've seen that done in reverse as well, with white on the outside edge, darkening toward the center. If you want to try to get a little fancier with it, buy some blending medium and mix just a touch of it into the individual colors you want to blend. The paint (I'm assuming acrylic here, Citadel paints are acrylic) will take longer to dry and you can push the colors into one another to create a truer gradient instead of the striated gradient I just went over. Takes practice though. Hope that helps.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Spoiler
Show
Quantumsurfer wrote:
bann154 wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Honestly i never planned on basing my guys but decided to give it a shot to give a bit of contrast. To me a black model on a black base is just a little to much black. Do you think that i should maybe try a highlight on the hands rather than an entirely different color? Or just a lighter metal perhaps?
No problem. And you're right, black base might have been too much. If you want the hands to be metal, I'd go with a much different color to the boltgun. Lighter will be tricky, so maybe just gradually mix with white until you find the right contrast but before you make them too bright. Still a better idea than darker, though. Use highlights if you want the hands to be uniformly black with the armor but want them to pop against the gun and add definition.
bann154 wrote:I also tried my hand at a lightning design for power weapons/force weapons and this was the result
This is a solid design. Just some thoughts: In this case, since we're talking about a weapon sparkling with visible energy, I'd flip the script and say go for brightness and deep contrast. Perhaps give the blade a drybrush of steel to create the illusion of sharpness via directional strokes and to give definition to the center ridgeline of the blade. For the lightning itself, you might try your hand at a simple gradation. 3 shades of the same color works really well for a simple effect. Lay down the thickness of your line with your darkest blue, perhaps something darker than guilliman. Fade that blue out around the edges, lay a thinner line of Guil blue over that, a skyblue or sky blue/white mix over that, and a very thin white line through the middle. I've seen that done in reverse as well, with white on the outside edge, darkening toward the center. If you want to try to get a little fancier with it, buy some blending medium and mix just a touch of it into the individual colors you want to blend. The paint (I'm assuming acrylic here, Citadel paints are acrylic) will take longer to dry and you can push the colors into one another to create a truer gradient instead of the striated gradient I just went over. Takes practice though. Hope that helps.
This is something i may have to try.

Today i picked up the new Know No Fear starter set to bolster my deathguard and iron hands and i painted up my first deathguard not sure how to base it it will need to be a gray street style base concrete maybe or a broken earth kind maybe even a patchy flocked base let me know what you think would be better.

I never really realized how much smaller the older plastic minis are compared to the newer ones. the newer ones are far bulkier and less oddly proportioned.

Darthnox129
Officer

Post by Darthnox129 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Well also the new Death Guard are similar to Primaris marines in that they are meant to be "bulkier" (aka GW selling models to truescale collectors) than normal marines, I agree that they look awesome. I get what you mean about the Inceptor jet packs, GW was like, well Starcraft stole our marines, our badass space elves, and our swarms of hive mind aliens, let's go back and steal their stuff. And thus the Inceptor and Reiver miniatures were added to the Primaris space marine range, which when combined look exactly like a jump pack marine from Starcraft.

Besides that, your models look awesome. I may just be derping out, but I'm assuming that's a custom Space Marine chapter? (EDIT: Just read the words Iron Hands and started screaming at my own idiocy) I like the boltgun color, and the armor looks nice as well. I have painted some space marines for a deathwatch force to fight my tau, and I found the armor highlights very annoying, and ended up trying to draw attention away by adding small flecks of leadbelcher as weathering. Also, I think Primaris are easier to paint because they have larger flat surfaces and the weapons only cover the torso instead of the hips as well.
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.

Yeah, I play Tau in 40k. What? Of course I have friends, why would you think I didn't?

Darthnox129
Officer

Post by Darthnox129 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:25 pm

bann154 wrote:
Captain-Camper wrote:How's 8th edition is it any good?
Not out yet (17th if i recall) im just going off of the previews posted on warhammer community
8th is out now and despite how some people complain that they brought Age of Sigmar to 40k, it is FAR more balanced than 7th edition was, what with certain armies being completely better than others thank to special detachments and formations, shooting armies being better than assault armies, and certain factions just having advantageous special rules which, when compounded, made Tau, Necrons, Eldar, and Space Marines almost universally better than Orks, non-Forge World daemons, etc. 8th edition makes close combat much better with the ability to tie up other units with pile in moves, charge past units, and other similar cqc shenanigans. Also, all factions were updated at once, balancing factions, and the release schedule for codices looks like it will see every army get chapter tactic style rules (including custom SM chapters, IG regiments, Tau septs, Eldar craftworlds, Ork klans, EVERYTHING :o ). Thus, 8th edition balanced both the game rules and the faction rules.
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.

Yeah, I play Tau in 40k. What? Of course I have friends, why would you think I didn't?

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Darthnox129 wrote:Well also the new Death Guard are similar to Primaris marines in that they are meant to be "bulkier" (aka GW selling models to truescale collectors) than normal marines, I agree that they look awesome. I get what you mean about the Inceptor jet packs, GW was like, well Starcraft stole our marines, our badass space elves, and our swarms of hive mind aliens, let's go back and steal their stuff. And thus the Inceptor and Reiver miniatures were added to the Primaris space marine range, which when combined look exactly like a jump pack marine from Starcraft.

Besides that, your models look awesome. I may just be derping out, but I'm assuming that's a custom Space Marine chapter? (EDIT: Just read the words Iron Hands and started screaming at my own idiocy) I like the boltgun color, and the armor looks nice as well. I have painted some space marines for a deathwatch force to fight my tau, and I found the armor highlights very annoying, and ended up trying to draw attention away by adding small flecks of leadbelcher as weathering. Also, I think Primaris are easier to paint because they have larger flat surfaces and the weapons only cover the torso instead of the hips as well.
So true they are pretty much starcraft jump marines. However thats not the biggest thing that irks me about them its their weapons. They are pretty much less useful flying devastator marines i honestly think they as a unit are odd and don't really have a place in my army.

Im glad you like them. Honestly i never thought of adding weathering to normal marines only vehicles you should post some pictures id love to see them. Yet again another good point they are significantly larger making them even easier to paint than normal marines.
Darthnox129 wrote:
bann154 wrote:
Captain-Camper wrote:How's 8th edition is it any good?
Not out yet (17th if i recall) im just going off of the previews posted on warhammer community
8th is out now and despite how some people complain that they brought Age of Sigmar to 40k, it is FAR more balanced than 7th edition was, what with certain armies being completely better than others thank to special detachments and formations, shooting armies being better than assault armies, and certain factions just having advantageous special rules which, when compounded, made Tau, Necrons, Eldar, and Space Marines almost universally better than Orks, non-Forge World daemons, etc. 8th edition makes close combat much better with the ability to tie up other units with pile in moves, charge past units, and other similar cqc shenanigans. Also, all factions were updated at once, balancing factions, and the release schedule for codices looks like it will see every army get chapter tactic style rules (including custom SM chapters, IG regiments, Tau septs, Eldar craftworlds, Ork klans, EVERYTHING :o ). Thus, 8th edition balanced both the game rules and the faction rules.
I personally don't mind some of the changes brought in 8th simplifying WS and BS does make the games go faster as well as having the rules only a few pages makes the task of learning it far less formidable. However i just cannot agree with 8th being more balanced most of the games i have played have been very one sided in one game i played admech whilst my opponent played Dark Angels . His apothecary simply revived his terminators every time they fell and one of his psykers instant killed a kastellan with smite. While in another game i played admech against Eldar and simply annihilated the opposing forces. However im just speaking from my personal experience.

Anyway back to some stuff I've got done.
I got a Redemptor Dread and i must say that it is impressive i really like how it looks i honestly don't have any gripes except for the rules. I really don't know why they would mount an anti air missile launcher on a dreadnought as well as the lack of underslung weapon options and the two arm options i would have preferred a second close combat version version honestly.

I also finished up my squad of plague marines just 10 more to go.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Well done, mate.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:41 pm

So its been a while now and i have a few newer things. I recently decided to take my old horrendously painted chaos models and form them into a World Eaters army since i wont be needing them for Death Guard.
This is the color scheme i want to try for the one on the right was a test model and i need to repaint the bolter to match the final scheme. However the models will not be quite as dark as the left one i ended up spilling my pot of shade on it :(
I also decided to finally do something with the Dark Vengeance Helbrutes i have had lying around for ages. I never really liked the model the faceplate they come stock with is horrendous and all the horns and tentacles don't really add much so i did some trimming and raided the bitz box and removed the multi melta replaced it with a shitty duel heavy bolter did a head swap and added a few cosmetic bitz.
Also continued my work on my Primaris Iron Hands and did up a Hellblaster squad i still have to do the sarges head and base them.
I also picked up an Ironclad Dreadnought and i must say it preforms really well on the tabletop im thinking about getting a second not sure yet however.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

So nurgle has been getting a few new kits and i must say out of these is the Blightlord terminators i picked up a box and was disappointed that it came with only 3 axes/swords so you need two boxes for a full squad with axes/swords. Anyway i decided to magnatise the combi weapons for these guys i haven't finished painting the entire squad or painted the combi weapons but this is the first one that is mostly done.
I also played around with some photo editing lemme know what you guys think. Really not a fan at this point of how it turned out but thats life i suppose.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I finished basing my two painted Blightlord terminators. The last 3 of them simply need their arms and bases done. Honestly im real close to saying fuck it and building a light box.
I also built up some khorne berserkers and painted my first test model using this scheme. I think i need a lighter or warmer gold for all the trim.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:34 pm

First unit of Berserkers is finally done. Just two more eight man units to go.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Bloody well done.

Yes, do the lightbox/white balance in photo editing software.