Help Me With My RPG Campaign

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

bann154
bann is the mann

Help Me With My RPG Campaign

Post by bann154 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Ok so im working on an actual campaign that is meant to take some time to go through and i need some help from people who actually know what the hell they are doing. Sp far i have the main idea of the campaign it is not yet finished i have a plan for the party to end up in hell for a short period of time to fight a high demon. But anyway this is what i have.
Spoiler
Show
This plot line continues after the quest “The Catacombs” The main plan for this quest line is to travel to Greyfall and retrieve a sealed and stamped parchment and take it to the king who reins from Bexley. However what they do not know is the parchment is actually a scroll with explosive runes so that when opened it will explode onto whoever opened it hopefully killing it. However this is for a good cause due to the king being corrupted and consorting with an Arch Demon and the religious leader of Greyfall wishes to eliminate him before the Arch Demon he is consorting with brings all of his plans to bear.

Now this quest line will most likely deviate due to random encounters or people in the towns that they visit.
The beginning:
As you sit in the musty old tavern in the town of Millstone discussing your recent success in stopping the murderous priest who was hiding in the sewers. When you are approached by a clergy man who seems rather on edge he quickly whispers to you all “Do you wish to make some hefty coin?” “I am Symond and the church of Greyfall needs some adventurers like you to run an errand for us however we must not talk here meet me at Ecrin I will be in the chapel there and I can detail you the mission I have for you from there.”
As the party continues to wards Ecrin they must roll on the following random encounter table.
Roll: Encounter:
1 You are ambushed by a wandering Sorcerer and his Golem

Sorcerer: Attacks with a D10 hit on a 6+ uses magic with a D8 and knows Lightening D8 has a staff D6 and has 10HP moves 5 tiles D8 coins
Golem: Attacks with a D10 hit on a 6+ 2 fists D8 takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons has D6 armor and 12HP moves 5 tiles

2 You are attacked by some roaming giant wolves

3 Giant Wolves: Attacks with a D6 hit on a 2+ bite D6 8HP moves 4 tiles

3 You encounter some goblins!

4 Goblins: Attack with a D6 hit on a 2+ axe D8 8HP moves 4 tiles

4 You find a group of orcs!
3 Orcs: Attack with a D8 hit on a 4+ sword D6 shield D6 10HP moves 5 tiles

5 You encounter a traveling merchant with Medium Market Size

6 You pass through without a hitch

As you arrive in Ecrin you see that it is a larger town with many homes made of wood and stone with paved streets of cobblestone and as you set foot in the town you can smell the rank stench of waste.
Inn:
As you enter the tavern you are greeted by the smell of unwashed bodies and the scent of roasted meat.
Bartender: Sven a round gent with mutton chops and a devoted worshipper of the gods.
Market:
The market is a very busy place with a few stalls not to many and not what you would expect to see in a town of this size.
Chapel:
The chapel is a large and highly decorated building it is clear that the town takes pride in this building above all else.
There are priests that can heal a party member D4 HP for 5 gold. This cannot be done by a player that is evil or has done heinous deeds previously.
As you enter the chapel you are greeted by Symond the man who had talked to you in Millstone he greets you with a smile and outstretched arms “Welcome lads please do come in and I can explain to you our need for men like yourselves” He then leads you to a side room of the chapel where he beckons you all to sit and pours each of you a glass full of wine. “Well gentlemen the mission I have for you must be completed quickly we have a letter from Greyfall from the high priest himself that he needs taken to the King Eadulf however there are those that do not want this information to make it to the king as such we need you to take this parchment to the king in Bexley you must not open it for it is for the kings eyes only” We can offer half of the payment now and half upon completion what do you say?” He gives the party 250 gold and the parchment sealed with the High Priests ring stamp.
As the party makes their way towards Bexley (roll Explorer check 8. If successful the players that succeed see the ambush coming and do not lose initiative) they are ambushed by a groupd of men who quickly attack (knocking out anyone who failed the check and fight those that succeeded the check. If none succeeded skip this combat)
5 Soldiers: Attack with a D8 hit on a 4+ club D6 Shield D6 10HP move 5 tiles
When reduced to 5HP players are knocked unconscious.
If the party succeeded in fighting them off they may continue their journey otherwise continue to “Captured”
Captured:
As you all awake you see that you have been stripped of your gear and are being held in an old mossy cell most likely underground standing at the cell door is a hooded man who speaks “Who is this parchment for? Who sent you?”
If players reveal that it was Symond he will be found dead just outside of Bexley
If players do not reveal that it was Symond the man will leave frustrated.
The Cell:
The cell is empty and old made of stone it was probably used for criminals in an age long past the door is made of metal however it looks old but still strong enough to keep people in.
The door is locked with an Explorer 4+ the lock can be picked.
Room 1:
As you enter the room you see a man sitting at a desk smoking his pipe and in the far left corner you can see a weapons rack and a chest.
If they do not sneak past the Guard (Explorer 6+) then he will call for help summoning the 2 Guards from the Hallway.
The chest and the weapons rack carries all the players gear.
1 Soldier: Attack with a D8 hit on a 4+ club D4 Shield D6 10HP move 5 tiles.
Hallway:
As you peer down the hallway you see 2 Guards standing there chatting with each other.
The doors are not locked and when you enter the room the Guards will flee in terror of seeing the party.
Room 2:
Here there is 3 Guards as well as the 2 Guards from the hallway all ready for a brawl!
5 Soldiers: Attack with a D8 hit on a 4+ club D4 Shield D6 10HP move 5 tiles
One body has D4 gold and another carries a now bloodstained not that reads:
“I want you to find what these people know of the plan *unreadable covered in blood* I will await your report in the Cresthill tavern remember the black hood.
As you lay low the last of your captors you are finally free to continue on your journey.
As you exit the area where you were kept you see in the distance a familiar town that looks like Millstone.
If the party goes to Cresthill they will find the following places.
Market:
The market is busy and bustling it is filled with life and a variety of different vendors.
Anyone who wishes to go to the market must roll on the following table to see if the lost anything while in the market.
Roll: Result:
1-2 Looks like you were not paying attention and someone stole 20 gold
3-6 You made it through the market without incident
Chapel:
The chapel is quite small consisting of one room with a few shrines dotted around.
There are priests that can heal a party member D4 HP for 5 gold. This cannot be done by a player that is evil or has done heinous deeds previously.
Inn:
The in looks to be rather new with the rock and wood it is made out of looks finely made. As you push the door open you see a variety of patrons around the inn however one catches your eye a figure with a black hood sitting in the corner of the room.
If he is interacted with he will dismiss the group unless they bring up the report.
“What do you want? I have no time for the likes of you”
When they bring up the report he will ask them:
“Who sent those couriers and who is the parchment for?”
If the pass an Explorer 8 check he will reveal the following information he has gathered.
“As far as I’ve heard they were sent to assassinate the King but I do not yet know how we must capture them and prevent them from interfering with the king’s plans.”
He will not attack and will leave the night the party enters the tavern.
Bexley:
As you enter Bexley you are quickly surrounded by Guards their captain steps forward and says “The king requests your presence follow us and be quick about it.”
If the party refuses the guards move in and knock them all out.
As you come before the king you see his magnificent throne room with a high vaulted ceiling and magnificently made furniture made by the best craftsmen of the land. The king stands from his thrown and says “where is the parchment you were sent with?”
If the party hands over the scroll:
As the king takes the parchment and breaks open the seal he slowly unrolls it and as he does so it explodes in a fiery blast that engulfs him and throws him backwards the guards quickly rush forth and surround you all. As they do so the king quickly stands barely harmed by the explosive runes hidden in the parchment he calls to his Guards “leave them this is not their fault how could they have know this was an assignation attempt when it was sealed by the high priest.” The guards slowly back away. The king then looks to the party and addresses them “This meagre attempt at my life is appalling I now need you all in my service. Will you confront the High Priest and bring him to me?” “You will all be compensated for your efforts rather handsomely.”
Greyfall:
As you land upon the docks of Greyfall you are greeted by a priest and a small band of paladins. The priest speaks “Have you delivered the message? Come quickly you must speak to the high priest of this news.”
Honestly rip it apart give me some feedback this is going to be more of guidlines for me rather than a script so to speak.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Re: Help Me With My RPG Campaign

Post by mgb519 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 am

Why would the king assume the party was uninvolved with the message? It seems unnatural for him to blow up like that and be all chill about it. And while that may have been what you were aiming for it's kinda distracting.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

mgb519 wrote:Why would the king assume the party was uninvolved with the message? It seems unnatural for him to blow up like that and be all chill about it. And while that may have been what you were aiming for it's kinda distracting.
Well it is supposed to be a slight hint about the kings current meddling with the Arch Demon. However i think you are right and i may have to change that section up a bit have him interrogate the party first to see who sent it.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm

This is DnD?

I can't really help you with planning because that's my weakness when it comes to being a GM but a good method for working out the kinks is to think "how can I break this?" from a player's perspective.