Page 3 of 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 pm
by Silent Mobius
DarkWolf wrote:
Silent Mobius wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Right now I'm addicted to Warhawk (first MMO for a console, and a PS3 exclusive no less!) and Halo 3, but I've stopped there for a short while, A) I don't have XBL, and B) I'm on one of the flood levels and I've run out of ammo (not a spoiler because you'd have to be an idiot not to expect Flood in the final Halo game) so I'm down to meleeing these huge arsed bastards that can kill me in one hit :/

... I'm pretty sure thats not the first Massive Mutiplayer Online (am I right ) game on a console... I know for a fact Monster Hunter came out as an MMo for the PS2 not to mention Fantasy Star series and Final Fantasy 11 for the 360.

Edit: Sorry for the double post but he neds to get his facts straight (don't worry though, don't take this too seriously)


Meh, sorry about that. I really don't pay attention to things as stupid and pointless as facts.


Well I don't take them too seriously just remember:
Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 am
by Carrnevil9
Silent Mobius wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:
Silent Mobius wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Right now I'm addicted to Warhawk (first MMO for a console, and a PS3 exclusive no less!) and Halo 3, but I've stopped there for a short while, A) I don't have XBL, and B) I'm on one of the flood levels and I've run out of ammo (not a spoiler because you'd have to be an idiot not to expect Flood in the final Halo game) so I'm down to meleeing these huge arsed bastards that can kill me in one hit :/

... I'm pretty sure thats not the first Massive Mutiplayer Online (am I right ) game on a console... I know for a fact Monster Hunter came out as an MMo for the PS2 not to mention Fantasy Star series and Final Fantasy 11 for the 360.

Edit: Sorry for the double post but he neds to get his facts straight (don't worry though, don't take this too seriously)


Meh, sorry about that. I really don't pay attention to things as stupid and pointless as facts.


Well I don't take them too seriously just remember:
Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

You may call me a stingy bastard, perhaps even a 'x-bot' or 'nintendo fanboi', but I have a tough time calling 32 players a MMO.  I'll give it the title of a customizable shooter, but MMO ( I am able to make distinctions between MMOs and MMORPGs) seems rather... foolish.  Phantasy Star, while far closer to MMO conventions, still seems to stray pretty far from that category (3 member party?  How is that massive?)  You may try checking out "The Agency" when that releases.  Or Sony's much touted "Home."  

Also, I extend my condolences to DarkWolf, and must inquire what difficulty he is playing on.  Word from those who see themselves as wise: never, ever, melee the flood with anything shy of a gravity hammer or an energy sword.  Start the level over, aim for the center of mass, not the head, and stop using plasma weapons.  I will also add that the flamethrower can become a liability both at higher difficulty settings and in co-op.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 am
by Silent Mobius
Carrnevil9 wrote:
Silent Mobius wrote:
Well I don't take them too seriously just remember:
Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

You may call me a stingy bastard, perhaps even a 'x-bot' or 'nintendo fanboi', but I have a tough time calling 32 players a MMO.  I'll give it the title of a customizable shooter, but MMO ( I am able to make distinctions between MMOs and MMORPGs) seems rather... foolish.  Phantasy Star, while far closer to MMO conventions, still seems to stray pretty far from that category (3 member party?  How is that massive?)  You may try checking out "The Agency" when that releases.  Or Sony's much touted "Home."  

Also, I extend my condolences to DarkWolf, and must inquire what difficulty he is playing on.  Word from those who see themselves as wise: never, ever, melee the flood with anything shy of a gravity hammer or an energy sword.  Start the level over, aim for the center of mass, not the head, and stop using plasma weapons.  I will also add that the flamethrower can become a liability both at higher difficulty settings and in co-op.

I don't consider that an MMo either but I know in japan the sales BOOMED but in the U.S they were pretty small. That and the fact the game is lik 69 years old is probably why there are only 32 players.  
However I was refering to the fantasy star universe-line but as with monster hunter it didnt go over well in the U.S

Also on the secod part, I too send you my condolances. Those last levels with the flood were kinda challenging even on easy. (Although I have beaten it on every mode.) It took me a good while on Legendary though.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:09 am
by Carrnevil9
Ah, this is the price I pay for not being completely specific.  Warhawk has 32 players, I'm not certain on how many could be held in any given Phantasy Star lobby.  For a while there I thought you were trying to tell me Warhawk had been out for sixty-nine years and despite trying my hardest I could not find any information backing this (note to self: abuse self for not reading the context and not giving other context to read.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:48 am
by Silent Mobius
Carrnevil9 wrote:Ah, this is the price I pay for not being completely specific.  Warhawk has 32 players, I'm not certain on how many could be held in any given Phantasy Star lobby.  For a while there I thought you were trying to tell me Warhawk had been out for sixty-nine years and despite trying my hardest I could not find any information backing this (note to self: abuse self for not reading the context and not giving other context to read.)
Ah so thats what you meant. I have no Idea about Warhawk so I wouldnt have a clue. The only Warhawk I play is the actual tabletop version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:25 pm
by Commander Evil
i been screwing around with Gmod lately.
Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:40 pm
by EvilTobbacconist
Heh, it looks like the guys with white helmets are doing flying kicks. Also looks pretty kick-ass (I wish my computer could run G-Mod/HL2)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:43 pm
by Captain Nomouth
Not to completely change the subject, but please tell me that I'm not the only one here who has played classics like Commander Keen, Cosmo, Duke Nukem, and Escape From Monkey Island.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:31 am
by piltogg
well i haven't

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:40 am
by Captain Nomouth
have you at least heard of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:50 am
by IVhorseman
Captain Nomouth wrote:have you at least heard of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? :(


YES!!!!!!

and i did also play duke nukem. but mostly duke nukem 3D. in fact, my signature is a duke nukem quote.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 am
by Captain Nomouth
At long last!!! :D  I am not alone in the world anymore.

I salute you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:06 am
by Carrnevil9
Eh, the only classic Lucasart game I played was Tie Fighter.  Here's to hoping the Tie Defender that Eurobricks had assed isn't a fabrication.  That isn't to say it's the first game I played, that honor goes to Descent and Descent 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:01 am
by Moronstudios
Captain Nomouth wrote:have you at least heard of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? :(

What is that, some sort of Indiana comic?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 pm
by Captain Nomouth
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the greatest game ever made in the all-but-extinct "Graphic Adventure" genre. This link explains more about it:

http://www.theraider.net/information/games/fateofatlantis_adventure.php