The RTS Development Thread

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:00 am

I also had that idea! But you could play bees too, and you'd have to fight all these badass giant spiders and mantises and stuff.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 am

I also had that idea... while I was playing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimAnt

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Tzan wrote:I also had that idea... while I was playing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimAnt

That one is still on my "to play" list. I only had a very brief look at it so far.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 am

New race: The Hollows (or Nothingmen), thus nicknamed for their "eyes", which are not actually eyes at all; rather, this species sees through a complex system of light-refracting photophores that transfer light onto a thinly stretched, light sensitive nerve cluster membrane. Their sense of sight is thus highly advanced, since, unlike the eyeball, this system does not require the being to focus on a particular point, but can rather absorb everything within its field of vision at once.

I don't have any details beyond that, but that vision (hurr hurr bad pun) came to me just now and I figured I'd throw it out there.

Their ships would probably be very dull-colored and there wouldn't be lots of lights and flashy bits, but what they lose in color, they'll make up for in detail (visually, that is). As for tech level, they would use lots of sonic weaponry, due to its relative invisibility on the normal spectrum of light.

Their homeworld would be generally very dull as well, but oddly bright to humanoid eyes. Very bloomed. Their form would be very white and lanky, with long arms and a freakishly quiet step. Inbetween their 'eyes' would be a more complex series of photophores that would transmit light, much like the skin of a cuttlefish, and this is how they communicate.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder
Location: Checking back in between animations for Warhead's follow up to ZZD

Post by ForlornCreature » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?oesa8q3sp89x3yi

I'm now working on an ant game. I guess this is version 0.01?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 am

>:/

Get that outta my game development thread.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 am

Hey, if we're all makin RTS's we might as well compare notes. I'm no good at sprites, and my game is more like a tiny demo right now, it's not like I'm gonna steal your thunder or anything

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 am

Fair enough, I'll change the thread title to a more... all-purpose name.
-=[ Visage ]=-

thade
Cannon Fodder

Post by thade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Olothontor wrote:New race: The Hollows (or Nothingmen), thus nicknamed for their "eyes", which are not actually eyes at all; rather, this species sees through a complex system of light-refracting photophores that transfer light onto a thinly stretched, light sensitive nerve cluster membrane. Their sense of sight is thus highly advanced, since, unlike the eyeball, this system does not require the being to focus on a particular point, but can rather absorb everything within its field of vision at once.

I don't have any details beyond that, but that vision (hurr hurr bad pun) came to me just now and I figured I'd throw it out there.

Their ships would probably be very dull-colored and there wouldn't be lots of lights and flashy bits, but what they lose in color, they'll make up for in detail (visually, that is). As for tech level, they would use lots of sonic weaponry, due to its relative invisibility on the normal spectrum of light.

Their homeworld would be generally very dull as well, but oddly bright to humanoid eyes. Very bloomed. Their form would be very white and lanky, with long arms and a freakishly quiet step. Inbetween their 'eyes' would be a more complex series of photophores that would transmit light, much like the skin of a cuttlefish, and this is how they communicate.
and again with the awesomeness.
I don't level the playing field, I level the playing field.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Thade wrote:and again with the awesomeness.
Glad I'm going in the right direction here.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Two different RTSs with two different approaches so far...you guys are all about the planning of the factions and all that, mine will be a lot simpler and I'm focusing on the game mechanics.

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Silverdream wrote:Will this be available for Mac?
:godwin:

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:29 pm

It's all about the story for me, because we have NO mechanical twists so far. It's just an average RTS, so something has to stand out.

I'm starting with faction development, and then taking that to the next level by seeing how each of them would interact. Then take that to a larger, universal scale and add in random events and disasters and such, and see how the 'verse develops from there.

From that should spring a multitude of plots and themes, which we can pick and choose from to use for the campaign of the game itself, as well as the pre-history of each of the races and former events.

THEN we can work out most of the actual mechanics and gameplay, and if any twists or interesting ideas develop then, all the better (P.S. What you're doing [or were doing] is/was fine, Thade, because it was just skeleton code for building on later, and having a framework built up now, during planning, will simplify our job later on).
-=[ Visage ]=-

ForlornCreature
Cannon Fodder

Post by ForlornCreature » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 am

If you're still interested in making pocket dungeon with construct, take a look a these:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7028
(even if you're not interested just run this one it looks awesome when it generates the room)

or a less in-depth but similar file:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... tor#p63041

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 am

The first one is quite good, I think that could fairly easily be made into a computerized PD version.

Edit: Plus, Construct has Online play modules available on the forums for plugging into your games, which means that as long as you have a server to plug it into, we could all have some Dungeon exploration time between us if/when this all actually gets put together.

You know what? I'll start working on it in Music Tech today (after I finish the paper due next class). Let's see how far I manage to get before I crash indefinitely.

Edit again: ... That being: not very far. I haven't opened Construct in a long while and I still have to relearn most of the functions and etc.
-=[ Visage ]=-