Mass Effect 3

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Mass Effect 3

Postby RJ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 am

I never remembered seeing the release of Mass Effect, being the PS3 gamer I am. Mass Effect 2 came along and I ignored it as yet another "XBox Space Marine" franchise. And then, it came to PS3. The entire game was amazing (minus the N7 missions and the mining, but they are being toned down for the next game).

Now, moving onto the next topic. The next game. It takes place right after the new DLC, Arrival. Shepard has just destroyed an entire star system, full of racist aliens to delay the imminent invasion of the Reaper fleet (the Reapers are a race of Star Ships, they are returning, and this time, they are attracted to Shepard presence because she's fucked them up twice). She (in my case) is summoned to a trial on Earth, because the humans can't go around letting their main poster-boy (or girl) on such a loose leash. During the trial, the worst case scenario happens. The Reapers arrive and attack Earth. Shepard barely escapes with her life and leaves the planet in search of a force to take back Earth. Of course, this is pre-release stuff, so I'm working on the details I've been given.

During the game, you will traverse the Galaxy in the Normandy, your spaceship, recruiting a crew of old and new friends (if any survived the suicide mission in ME2), and avoiding Cerberus if you betrayed them last time.

Improvements to the gameplay include the removal of mining, the removal of the "vaulting-over-cover-platforming" and now certain weapon types aren't restricted by class. Oh, and Earth is actually in this one.
dilanski wrote:Have your imaginary balls exploded all over the keypad or something?
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby Olothontor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 am

This looks interesting.

I made the mistake of starting the series with ME2, so I don't have the full story, nor the relative leisure of loading a save file from the first game, so it's a little rough. I'm still pumped for ME3, though. THERE I will get to load a save, so I'm happy.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby RJ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 am

As I said, the PS3 version has an interactive backstory comic thingy. I get to create a ME save file, as well as get filled in for the story. I'm watching a Let's Play for the smaller details.
dilanski wrote:Have your imaginary balls exploded all over the keypad or something?
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby MasterEcabob » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Nothing against PS3, but you guys are missing out on SO much stuff. Even with that "comic" you only get to carry over four decisions. Sure you get to save/destroy the council and rachni queen, but other than that, you've got nothing. I mean, you guys don't even get to meet (kill) Conrad Verner. That's just tragic.

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. Nice to hear you watched a let's play, so you at least know a little about the game (seriously, not only does the comic fail to mention half of the main mission, but it flat out lies at some parts and doesn't even mention the geth. Also, flying dual wielding biotic Garrus.)
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RJ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

MasterEcabob wrote:seriously, not only does the comic fail to mention half of the main mission, but it flat out lies at some parts and doesn't even mention the geth. Also, flying dual wielding biotic Garrus.

Fair enough. At first I thought you were Complaining About Shows You Don't Watch.

I agree. A lot of the stuff in the comic made no sense before I started my second playthrough lately. I actually forgot Garrus was in the Comic before I did his recruitment mission.

Having watched the Let's Play though, I really couldn't be bothered missing out on ME1. It's a far inferior version of ME2, and the elevators are worse than PS3's uber-length loading screens.
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby Olothontor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 pm

RJ wrote:the elevators are worse than PS3's uber-length loading screens.

Hahaha. I love the elevator scenes in ME2, the conversations that take place between Garrus and Wrex are occasionally quite hilarious.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 am

Olothontor wrote:I love the elevator scenes in ME2

I take it you mean ME1.
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 am

My Imported soldier from ME1 - specced out to squad incindiary and squad disrupter ammunition, along with adrenaline and damage spec.

Combine this with Garrus and Grunt with all upgrades - I pissed my way through the final battle without a second thought, hell - I pissed my way through most of the game without much trouble.

Revenant machine gun for the fucking win.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby RJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 am

So moving on, what about Mass Effect 3.

What I want to know, is if Earth's Liberation is the Suicide Mission this time round, what will the final boss be?
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby Olothontor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:37 am

RJ wrote:
Olothontor wrote:I love the elevator scenes in ME2

I take it you mean ME1.

No, I mean ME2. Haven't played ME1, remember?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:40 am

But there aren't any elevator scenes in ME2 as far I remember.
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby Olothontor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 am

RJ wrote:But there aren't any elevator scenes in ME2 as far I remember.

There totally are. The party members have entire conversations in the elevator.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby RJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:46 am

Weird. In the PS3 version at least, there are golden technobabble schematic loading screens with pictures of a Mass Relay and the schematics of an elevator descending down the Normandy. Also, Wrex isn't a party member in ME2.
RJ
Mega Blok

Postby MasterEcabob » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Olothontor wrote:
RJ wrote:the elevators are worse than PS3's uber-length loading screens.

Hahaha. I love the elevator scenes in ME2, the conversations that take place between Garrus and Wrex are occasionally quite hilarious.

Olo, I think you are a bit confused here mate. Elevators, like the Mako, were features from ME1 that were taken out of the second game due to fanboy backlash. When said fanboys realized that Bioware would have to replace said elevator rides with gasp loading screens, there was even more raeg. Apparently Bioware did such a good job masking the loading screens in ME1 that people actually thought the long elevator sequences were part of the main game. If Arrival is any indication, the elevator rides are poised to make a return for ME3.

My Imported soldier from ME1 - specced out to squad incindiary and squad disrupter ammunition, along with adrenaline and damage spec.

Combine this with Garrus and Grunt with all upgrades - I pissed my way through the final battle without a second thought, hell - I pissed my way through most of the game without much trouble.

Revenant machine gun for the fucking win.

That's basically what my little brother did, although he hated the idea of "using dumb powers" so ignored Adrenalin Rush most of the game. When I pointed out to him that that + Widow resulted in perfect headshots, he never went back.

So moving on, what about Mass Effect 3.

What I want to know, is if Earth's Liberation is the Suicide Mission this time round, what will the final boss be?

From the GI article, it sounds like it is going to be even more epic than that, with dozens of different endings depending on which of the main powers you have on your side (Quarians, Krogans, Rachni, etc) and, oddly enough, on who you used in your main squad throughout the game. Personally, I hope there is a sacrifice the earth option, as all my colonist Sheps are far more worried about Reapers taking over the freaking Citadel than some random backwater planet.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RJ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:37 am

Actually, come to think of it, if the elevator scenes return in ME3, they better not be the same length as the loading screens. They take about a minute each. Kinda took the intensity out of the Joker mission, when I took one minute brakes every time I left to the next level.
RJ
Mega Blok

Next

Return to Lesser Games