For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Russian roulette.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby jmatthew » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:34 pm

I found parts of Silent Hill 4 to scare me like nothing else. Although, the first time I played it, I would only play it alone, at night, with all the lights off in order to get the full horrific effect.
Also, I still scream every time I fall onto a goddamn spike trap in Spelunky, especially when I'm really deep and have tons of items, and there's no good fucking reason for me to have died.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby Pwnerade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Left 4 Dead can be scary when the Hunters jump at you out of nowhere.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby morganm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Never played any of the Silent Hill games. Maybe have to check those out.

I just played Left 4 Dead for over an hour.... am I missing something here or is it really boring? Wasn't freaked or scared in the slightest bit and the entire plot is akin to Doom except you don't have to find the key.... just kill everything....open the next door.... repeat.

Maybe F.E.A.R 2 has desensitized me.... :?
morganm
Dimmy

Postby mgb519 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Zork.

Only if you're talking about nemesis.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I've never played them, but the Penumbra games are definitely the scariest games IMO.

The scariest game I've played has to be Dead Space, though.
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby jmatthew » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 pm

morganm wrote:Never played any of the Silent Hill games. Maybe have to check those out.

I just played Left 4 Dead for over an hour.... am I missing something here or is it really boring? Wasn't freaked or scared in the slightest bit and the entire plot is akin to Doom except you don't have to find the key.... just kill everything....open the next door.... repeat.

Maybe F.E.A.R 2 has desensitized me.... :?

No, left for dead left me wanting for more after about an hour. I can't believe it's such a successful franchise. It's only shining moment is multiplayer, which can actually be pretty fun, but it's hard to get scared when you're in a room or on a headset with a bunch of friends going "Oh SHIT! Look out bro! Oh dude! Fuck!"
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby mgb519 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 am

L4D was never meant to be truly scary. It's just a different type of game altogether.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 am

Not really that scary, but Metro 2033 (the Game). I gotta say though, its seriously underrated; a truly awesome game. I highly recommend it.

When your fighting bandits or Nazis, there isn't much to worry about. But when your sprinting down a pitch-black metro tunnel with 30 nosalises or lurkers chasing you and screaming all the way it can be pretty frightening.
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby morganm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 am

mgb519 wrote:L4D was never meant to be truly scary. It's just a different type of game altogether.

I kinda expected a zombie apocalypse game to be a little scary. That's fine; it doesn't have to be scary.... it's still boring.

It's entertaining from the stand point of "fuck yeah! blast some meat sacks!" After an hour I'm left wanting something with a little more substance in the plot.

I'm also unimpressed by the sound and graphics. Overall design is lackluster. Texture maps are simple, flat, and repetitive. The sounds are cheesy; for example the gun shots sound like toy guns. There was little thought given to why things are where they are. Be it weapons like pipe bombs and molotov coctails sitting in an office or just randomly splattered gore.

Where as games like FEAR 1 & 2 (and DOOM 3 to a lesser degree) leverage cinematic techniques. The sounds in FEAR 2 are realistic and high quality. The texture maps are rich and actually have texture. Everything is put somewhere for a reason; it's more akin to set design than just building another level. It's actually more difficult to use cinematic techniques and rather amazing they pull them off successfully because the designers don't have full control of the camera... the player does.

The use of lighting to cast a moving shadow out of the corner of your screen... was it a monster or was it just a shadow? You'll find out soon enough...

You clearly see a monster on the other side of a barrier and it behaves like a caged animal trying to get at you... then it runs off, out of sight, in the same general direction you need to go. Will you come up on it soon or will it find a way around and come up on you? Should you hold tight and wait for it or move up and hope it doesn't surprise you?

The blood streak leads down the hall and around the corner because some freak iced that fool, drug him around the corner, and now you came up on it eating the suckers face! It's not just random gore thrown around.

When you drop out of an air duct into a room the music changes sharply to build the suspense... what's going to happen?! You don't plainly see why it changed but your senses tell you it changed for a reason.... you'll find out!

With games like Half-Life 1 & 2 and FEAR 1 & 2 you are immersed in the plot. You don't know the entire story before you start.... like so many cheesy games that give you an intro which basically tells the whole story and the rest of the "plot" is you killing everything until you "win".

In HL and FEAR the plot unfolds in front of you. Your character is somehow interwoven into the story. My favorite example would be the original Half-Life where it was the first game that I had played that didn't need to tell the story with cut scenes (or like so many other games just neglect any real plot).... you were IN the story and it was happening all around you!

OK.... I'm done blathering... sorry I just started typing and couldn't stop... :roll:
morganm
Dimmy

Postby benkim123 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:19 am

I suggest you play Silent Hill if you're looking for some fright. It scares me, in a disturbing way :D , that's why it's successful. Dead Space freaks me out too And Resident Evil and L4D are not scary at all. The sounds at the menu of L4D2 are scarier than most horror games I know. (Those sounds are fuckin scary!)
benkim123
Jaw-Jaw

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Dead Space 2. You start the game in a straightjacket running away from alien zombies. You also have dementia, and you see visions of your dead girlfriend haunting you. She's bloody and has light coming out of her eyes and mouth. There's one part where you're walking through a morgue, and you never know which bodies are going to jump out and try to kill you.

The sounds are also really good, and make the game about 10 times scarier.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby jmatthew » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth actually had a few pretty scary moments, but wasn't overall as scary a game as it should have been.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby naussica » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

The end of Earthbound. If you've played it, you know what I'm talking about. :wink:

But from an actual horror game, I'd say Resident Evil 4, those chainsaw guys pop out of nowhere!
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby OneEye589 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 pm

mgb519 wrote:
OneEye589 wrote:Zork.

Only if you're talking about nemesis.

No, I'm talking about Zork.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork
OneEye589
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games