Forum-based TCG+dice game in need of feedback

Design and development of games, Brik-related or otherwise. Includes BrikWaRPGS.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Forum-based TCG+dice game in need of feedback

Post by stubby » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Olothontor's got some thread up about a forum-gased TCG, and I hate when I'm not the center of attention! So here's my COMPETING idea.
stubby's 3pm ego wrote:So, here are my thoughts. Instead of being the standard toss down summons and enchantments type of TCG game, it'll be a toss down minifigs and building elements and roll a bunch of dice game. Cards will be of the following types:

7. Minifigs of various types. These come out for free, but are subject to minifigs' usual limitations. If put out without weapons they're pretty useless, Heroes have ego issues when put down in multiples, etc.
  • examples: Minifig, Gunner, Hero, Mechanik
8. Weapons of various types. Size 1 Weapons can be placed on minifigs, or Size 2 if the minifig is a Heavy. All weapons can be placed on a Structure if the Structure is big enough.
  • examples: Sword, Shield, Crossbow, OTC, Size 5 Death Laser
9. Armor can be placed on a minifig or on a Structure card (1 per structure, up to 5 armor) within a Creation, adding one Armor Level.
  • examples: Armor, Shiny Armor, Purple Armor
10. Equipment is the special stuff that can be attached to Minifigs or Structures to grant specific special abilities.
  • examples: Briefcase, Self-Destruct Device, Teleporter, Bulldozer Blade
4. Structure cards add +1" of Size to any Creation, along with any other abilities they may add (propulsion systems, for instance).
  • examples: Castle Gate, Boat Hull, Racecar Wheels, Mech Arms
The fun part of the game is in combining Structure and other cards to build Creations. The cards that make up a single Creation have to be played all at once, although Mechaniks have an ability to assemble parts on the field, as do other Minifigs to a much lesser degree. When a Creation is destroyed, half the cards are returned to the owner's deck, and the other hand are left on the field as debris to be stolen by any player's minifigs.

The object of the game would be something like building a SHIP or some structure too large for any player to ever build it out of a single hand. If players have a hand of five cards, for instance, then the goal would be to build a structure of size 10.
So what do you think of THAT!

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:17 pm

I like it.

I designed a card game that used a board, no summoning.
You just play the card on the row closest to you and moved it in later turns.
I had resource cards like grain and oats, for bonus moves for infantry and cavalry. Weapon cards could be played for bonus attacks.
Combat is die rolls.

Terrain cards could be played that modified movement or combat.

It was set up as a traditional wargame.
Each card had only one specific use.
I made the cards, board and tested it a few times with people.

----
Your idea is well suited to brikwars, cards can be combined in several ways to make odd stuff.

Were you thinking of a board or like Magic?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

It could work.

The only problem I see is some loss of creativity that's part of the reason that makes Brikwars so fun.

More about how the game would be played would be nice to know too.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Looks kinda like a game a played somewhere once... I think they called it "Brikwars"...
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

GeneralOfDeath wrote:Looks kinda like a game a played somewhere once... I think they called it "Brikwars"...
Never heard of it.

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:45 pm

And so the card wars began...

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Zupponn wrote:More about how the game would be played would be nice to know too.
What! How dare you ask me to make real gameplay out of this superficial plot to fuck with olothontor.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Well sorry if I thought it had potential.

*sniffle* :cry:

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 am

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:10 am

SETUP

Shuffle the Deck and place it, face-down, within reach of all players.

Each player draws a card from the Deck; the player whose card has the fewest icons goes first. In the event of a tie, players continue drawing cards until the tie is broken. They keep these cards for their initial hand.

Deal out five cards for the Draft, face-up, next to the Deck. Each player chooses one card from the Draft, adds it to his Hand, and deals out another card from the Deck to bring the Draft back up to five cards. Players take turns taking cards from the Draft, one by one, until each players has five cards in his beginning Hand.

Player turns proceed as follows.

6. ACTIVATE MINIFIGS.
For any Minifigs who used up their Action on the previous turn, their Action is now restored.

7. THE DRAFT.
If the active player has fewer than five cards in his Hand, he must take cards from the Draft to bring his Hand up to five cards.

If there are fewer than five cards in the Draft, deal out cards from the Deck to bring the Draft back up to five cards.

8. SCAVENGING.
Any Minifigs not inside Structures may now attempt to Scavenge cards in the Pile of corpses and debris. A Medik can Scavenge a dead Minifig or Creature on a successful roll of 4+; these are immediately activated and placed next to the Medik. A Mechanik can Scavenge 1d6 non-Minifig, non-Creature cards; these are placed in the player's Hand. All other types of Minifigs can Scavenge one non-Minifig, non-Creature card, which is placed in the player's Hand. Scavenging uses up a Minifig's Action for the turn.

9. STRUCTURE BUILDING.
The player may use the cards in his Hand to create one or more Structures and lay them on the table. If he has an active Mechanik on the table, the Mechanik may use up his Action to add any number of cards from the player's Hand to an existing Structure. If he has any other active Minifigs on the table, the Minifigs may each use up their Action to add exactly one card from the player's Hand to an existing Structure. Minifigs and Mechaniks that are inside a Structure may only build onto that Structure.

10. RECRUITING AND LOGISTICS.
When the Structure-building is finished, the player may lay any Minifig and Creature cards from his hand onto the table, and may give Equipment cards to Minifigs either from his own hand or by transferring them from other Minifigs under his control. He may also move Minifigs into and out of Structures at this time.

11. ATTACKING.
A unit is able to attack if it is Mobile, has one or more Weapons, and still has an Action remaining. The player may attack with any or all of his able units, according to the combat rules.

12. END OF TURN.
Minifigs and Creatures killed in the fighting, and pieces of Structures broken off, are removed and placed in the Pile of corpses and debris. Play passes to the next player.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:18 am

What do you have to do to win the game? Are there several modes with different objectives?

All players get their cards from the same deck. Is it still a TCG?
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:08 am

Man, this could become a really confusing game, since the cards are incredibly dependent on where they are on the table in relation to another card/group of cards. You'll need a TON of space to play this.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 am

Olothontor wrote:Man, this could become a really confusing game, since the cards are incredibly dependent on where they are on the table in relation to another card/group of cards. You'll need a TON of space to play this.
Not much worse than Illuinaty. Or Brikwars.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 am

Nice. :D

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 am

knolli wrote: All players get their cards from the same deck. Is it still a TCG?
Looks like its not TCG. Also they go to the same corpse pile, you don't want all your cards mixed in.

Deck Themes
The basic deck could be all time periods. Then additional decks could be made for other times.

Medieval
Imperial
WWII
Modern
Zombie apoc
Space bronises

The backs of each deck would have a unique image to keep them sorted.
You could mix any cards into the main deck before play.

Each themed deck could have boosters for weapons, effects, races.

So you could sell cards forever.