Forum Battles Thread (NEW RULE #5) (defunct)

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:23 am

im makeing a base and afew forces i might make it a forum one.
if i do im going to be in control of repair units and the truck that has the special cargo that has to cross from the outpost to the base.
i might just do it solo since its not big and i want a stealth unit.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:46 am

Actually, I'm thinking about stealth rules for forum wars too. My next battle has one.

If you took an Overwatch shot of the field, centered on the stealth unit, with a ruler on the side for scale, then the player with the stealth unit could use MS Paint to plot his movements. He wouldn't even have to report them to the host, just keep the pictures so he has a record of his movements. Then, when he's ready to come out of stealth and attack, he just PMs the location to the host.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:59 am

That invites blatant lying if the player is dishonest. He could get his stealth troops out of any bad situation that pops up after he moved them.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:32 pm

There's a lot of restraints on my rules for stealth troops. For one thing, they can only move within an 18X18 square -- if they leave that square they need to become visible. For another, they need to use an Action to enter or maintain stealth, so they have to become visible to attack. The stealth ability has a UR of 3, meaning that each time the stealth trooper uses it he has a 1/3 chance of being detected. I'll roll the dice for stealth ability at the end of the previous round, so the player knows ahead of time whether or not he can disappear into stealth next turn.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 pm

i guess you could have it they can't beaimed at and if the person attacks the ground near the steath unit then the gun altomaticly blows up and the steath unit gets to go to eney where withing 20inchs since everyones forcoused on the explostion
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 am

I had an idea for stealth at one point, based on particle physics - the idea was that it didn't matter where the stealth unit was until the player decided to use it for something. At that point, as long as there was some way that the stealth unit could have gotten to its new position from its last known position, it was assumed that it had taken that path.

It was pretty powerful in that the longer your stealth unit was invisible, the more of the battlefield it could potentially cover before finally choosing a place to appear. But this was balanced by the fact that it couldn't do anything useful on the turns it was invisible, so you were losing a whole bunch of turns' worth of potential actions while you were saving up for your big arrival.

And of course, the Scouts' ability to detect stealth units also hampered them quite a bit as well.

Now back to the subject of forum battles - I've noticed that the turn-by-turn writeups really kind of drag out too long to be interesting if you're not one of the players. What do you guys think about picking a few highlight photos from each turn, and posting them in the battle's top thread with a kind of abbreviated turn summary for the spectators?

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am

Rayhawk wrote:Now back to the subject of forum battles - I've noticed that the turn-by-turn writeups really kind of drag out too long to be interesting if you're not one of the players. What do you guys think about picking a few highlight photos from each turn, and posting them in the battle's top thread with a kind of abbreviated turn summary for the spectators?
Capital idea!
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 am

I had first turn, which prevent unfairness, and I made my moves right after a day was finished, when no orders were in, although first turn was based off a dice roll.
Oh, and my battle is done, please update your first post, pes.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 am

I like that idea of posting the highlights. It wouldn't be that hard, just choose the most awesome pictures.
everyone < massam

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Rayhawk wrote:I had an idea for stealth at one point, based on particle physics
Schrodinger's Spy? Quantum Espionage? Agent Heisenberg?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Bonn-o-Tron wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:Now back to the subject of forum battles - I've noticed that the turn-by-turn writeups really kind of drag out too long to be interesting if you're not one of the players. What do you guys think about picking a few highlight photos from each turn, and posting them in the battle's top thread with a kind of abbreviated turn summary for the spectators?
Capital idea!
I dunno...

I had an idea for the next battle...which is in the thread.

Oh, by the way, I added a new award.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:13 pm

I added another award: The Best Picture.

Aaaaand I'm doing the awards thread right now. Votings have closed!
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm

OK, the awards thread is up. Congratulations everyone!

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Yay, I got completely beaten!
Although I did deserve it, I guess. I know that I got 3 votes for best host, which means that all of the TBD players voted for me -- that's good enough.

Nitpicky details: Since Silvadream was banned, I move that we remove Project Unoriginal from the 2nd generation list. He's never going to finish it now.

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Very true.
Also, in said project, I got killed in the first 2 turns! 1 step closer to Dimmyhood!

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."