Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated October 23rd

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated August-9th

Postby ikensall » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

It's somewhat reassuring that at least one person read at least half-way down the crappy backstory paragraph. I too quite like the warrior vibe of Shogun2, and the paddy hats I gave them are similar to the ashigaru units therein. All of which makes it seem obligatory for them to have the stereotypical "pissed off commander" Japanese accent, albeit in a good way.

In other news, I finished another tank a few days ago, after discovering a missing wheel from my Lego City 7284 digger's tracks. It's quite big and very yellow - imagine a KV2 turret* on a B1 chassis**. In yellow.

Spoiler: show
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated September 6th

Postby ikensall » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I finally found time for taking some pictures of the new tank, the lighting is better than the last update but still not ideal (nimbostratus problems), despite turning on ALL THE LIGHTS. All two of them. So, I hereby present the "Citadel" heavy tank, commissioned for the Yellow Kingdom's armoured force after the king decided he wanted "Something big, yellow and scary." (I've already shown this too one or two people in brikwiki-chat, but not nearly as extensively...)

Picture spam:
Note the secondary gun on the hull sponson.

My excuse for this crappy picture is that I was focusing the camera on the wall. :?

Every armoured killing machine is better with a backpack strapped on somewhere. (Makes the detail clusterfuck 20% cooler.)

The lighting begins to worsen here :cry: . The doors you can just about see on the engine deck (they're actually horizontal shutters) open, but there's nothing much inside; I could try making an interior in the hull (but not in the turret) but I prefer having it filled with cross-bar pieces for strength and durability.

Crappy picture to show how the commander can sit on the turret with the hatch wedged between his back and the plate 1 stud behind him (as with the pugilist). Oh, and I count the gun as equivalent to 6", because it's 2" long, but it would just feel wrong to have a gun that fires projectiles (almost) as wide as a minifig's leg is long which was classed as a 2" weapon.

Minifig for scale; the Citadel isn't particularly long, but it is high (about 2.5-3 figs on top of each other).

More mifig for more scale.

ImageRawr! by ikensall, on Flickr
Look busy, Jesus The Citadel is coming!

C&C welcome, as always.

EDIT: It's all in the OP now.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zahru II » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Looks nice and metal sluggish!
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby BFenix » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Zahru II wrote:Looks nice and metal sluggish!
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Legofighter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 pm

So, good job on that steer-able motorcycle.
The field guns are nice (like everything else) and the howitzer looks great.
That plane landing gear isn't as bad as you think it is.
Last edited by Legofighter on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.
Legofighter
Minifig

Postby ikensall » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:25 am

BFenix wrote:
Zahru II wrote:Looks nice and metal sluggish!

Thanks guys, one day I'll have to look up this metal slug thing that I seem to be unintentionally parodying, and it's nice that people like legofighter are discovering this thread through the updates.

Also; D-town-cracka (the guy behind the bunny-operated Shilka and the "Apple Cart") approves of the Citadel tank, which is nice.

ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Bluefog » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:38 pm

You are a greebling master. The tank is glorious.
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
Bluefog
Minifig

Postby ikensall » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Bluefog wrote:You are a greebling master. The tank is glorious.

Thanks, but to be honest, I just slap on the "greeble" pieces wherever I don't have a flat plate that I would normally put there, although at the same time it's all about having as many SNOTty surfaces as possible, rather than just having the flat sides of bricks everywhere, which just looks a bit plain. The greeble clusterfuck is actually quite useful for gameplay, because when the tank takes some damage, you can represent it on the model by messing up/ removing the "greebles", which is a lot easier than removing some structurally integral bricks to create a hole.

Bluefog wrote:The tank is glorious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs
I haven't decided yet if it's a capitalist or a communist tank.... I guess it looks a bit like a KV2, so it's glorious in that respect.
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Phred » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:27 pm

ikensall wrote:It's somewhat reassuring that at least one person read at least half-way down the crappy backstory paragraph.

I totally have been ogling over your MOCs and have not read a bit of your back stories. :oops: I haven't had the time, yet.

I do have to say though, I really like your MOCs you've shared so far. I really like this diesel punk theme you've been creating. :overwatch:
Pirates don't hunt for treasure. They bury it- I mean we bury it. - Captain Kirk

Phred
Champion
Champion

Postby Honore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:33 pm

ikensall wrote:
Bluefog wrote:You are a greebling master. The tank is glorious.

Thanks, but to be honest, I just slap on the "greeble" pieces wherever I don't have a flat plate that I would normally put there, although at the same time it's all about having as many SNOTty surfaces as possible, rather than just having the flat sides of bricks everywhere, which just looks a bit plain. The greeble clusterfuck is actually quite useful for gameplay, because when the tank takes some damage, you can represent it on the model by messing up/ removing the "greebles", which is a lot easier than removing some structurally integral bricks to create a hole.

Bluefog wrote:The tank is glorious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs
I haven't decided yet if it's a capitalist or a communist tank.... I guess it looks a bit like a KV2, so it's glorious in that respect.

What's wrong with a tank that looks like:
"Psychiatrists are just not smart enough to be psychics."
Honore
pry my ass from my cold dead hands

Postby ikensall » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Phred wrote:
ikensall wrote:It's somewhat reassuring that at least one person read at least half-way down the crappy backstory paragraph.

I totally have been ogling over your MOCs and have not read a bit of your back stories. :oops: I haven't had the time, yet.

I do have to say though, I really like your MOCs you've shared so far. I really like this diesel punk theme you've been creating. :overwatch:

Don't worry, if everyone who came into this thread decided to read the crappy backstory then most of them would give up before scrolling down to the builds. Oh and thanks, I tried to make them a bit more original by building in a slightly more exotic theme (I honestly doubt if I could build anything decent in a space theme any more, but whatever, I don't go in for all that mainstream stuff).

HonoreBalzac wrote:What's wrong with a tank that looks like:

I tried to think of a reason for tanks requiring a certain degree of colour scheme, but really I think we all know we're kidding ourselves by trying to avoid a :j+b: in our builds. This has, is and always will be the true colour scheme of a pure and righteous Lego Death machine. But for now, yellow will have to do. (I thought I'd give you a reply that's as clear-put and relevant as your original post was...)
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:37 pm

This is some fantastic work chap, Keep it up
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby ikensall » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:11 pm

I haven't much hope of building anything for a while, but it's nice to know I managed to coax a post out of you, Runs, you little Lurker!
ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Postby ikensall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:15 pm

So, I'm out of prison school for a two-week half term, and I thought I'd get the compulsory lego build out of the way so I could do some work with a clear conscience.

The Lancet Armed Logistics Shuttle, lifted by gas, with capacious cargo hold and curves designed to impress, fit for all your pizza delivery needs in dangerous theatres of combat. I wanted another floating air-platform, similar to the Floating Fancy, and this is what I ended up with...

This is the longest thing I've built so far, it's not like my pilots need to compensate, it's just that I prefer them to feel well equipped.

Here you can see the cargo hold, there's a deceptive amount of room in the interior of the craft, I could probably fit 3 extra figs in there, with space left over.
The fact that I went for castle wall corner pieces to make the bottom of the hull means that there's a smooth surface inside, so less space is wasted.

]Image
I did two takes of this picture, this one is pretty dark, but the other one is almost painfully bright (the sun came out).

This one is just dark. The Lancet gets two forward facing cannons, I'd probably put guys with guns on the deck for better protection, but I like the aesthetics fine without some kind of rear facing structural emplacement.

Because gas is used to lift the craft, rather than vertical props, propellers are only required for horizontal motion and so are smaller than usual. :twss:

This build is actually pretty stable, all the different parts are connected to each other with solid links, so you tend to get not all that many bits and pieces just dropping off in your hands.

As ever the Lancet comes with the compulsory flag, never build anything that cannot mount a flag, aircraft or not.

There's a lot of flat deck space on this thing, perfect for stowing your cargo of milk churns, or doing a slow flyover with some machine gun teams on top.

ikensall
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated October 23rd

Postby Duerer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

That shuttle looks superb. Favorite bit would be the crates, stacked up on (?) it's rear.
Duerer
Minifig

PreviousNext

Return to The Armoury