From Scythia with love (now with moar pictures)

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Re: From Scythia with love

Postby BrickSyd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Apollyon wrote:Image

There's so much awesome in this picture.
:ftw:
BrickSyd
Minifig

Postby Maverick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:01 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:
georgyzhukov wrote:Красный сила!

I have no idea :wtc: he is saying

You don't know Russian?
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Ben-Jammin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

Maverick wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote:
georgyzhukov wrote:Красный сила!

I have no idea :wtc: he is saying

You don't know Russian?

Can I figure it out with google translate?
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Aw, you beat me to using my new smiley.

:lmgtfy:
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Apollyon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am

As promised here are better pictures of the SPECTRE:

Closeup of the laser shotgun.

And the mecha sized Nova Sword.

I am pleased with how the head turned out. I started out with the intention to use the double/inverted 2x slope piece.
The neck with the hinge is protected by that weird black scoop(?) piece that i never found useful before:

The chest armor can be opened to get access to the pilot.

Thrusters on the backpack.

As you can see here i have cheated a bit for the purpose of posing and the taking of pictures. The blue brick
holds the arm in position because the weight of the laser shotgun is way too much for the technic pin that connets
the upper arm to the shoulder. I tried to put little pieces of paper between pins and bricks to increase friction. This
works ok on the arm holding the Nova Sword but not at all on the right arm. Any tips on that?

Lack of friction is a problem in the leg joints as well. All are built using this pin Image
connecting three technic beams. I worked well enough when this mech was still just a frame (see OP) but finished body, head and arms
add so much weight that there is basically just the one pose you can see in the pictures in which the legs hold the weight.
I haven't tried the paper trick on the leg joints yet because the hips will be a pain in the ass to take apart. But that is where
the point of balance is.
In its current state the model is hardly playable which is a shame.

alphafalcon541 wrote:I hope you don't mind some critiquing but there is a couple of things that I would change.
To me the legs just don't look right, I would love to see some more articulation in them and the arms.
Also if you could break the color up a little right now its just to red, maybe throwing in a little black, possibly a digital camo pattern.

I don't mind criticizm at all.
I see no way though to add more articulation in the arms and legs without adding either ball joints or more bulky technic solutions.
Somewhat articulated hands are more realistik to add but that will increase arm weight again.
The mech was almost finished by the end of the year and nearly everyone that saw it on our New Year's Eve party suggested the same
like you, add more colours. While i like the fiery bloodred look of the SPECTRE i can understand that. Making the shoulder section
black would be easy but i do not have enough black slope pieces. Colour coordination is an area where i still have to learn a lot.
Most of my larger mocs are quite monochrome. :-)
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Re: From Scythia with love (now with moar pictures)

Postby alphafalcon541 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm actually trying my hand at a largish mech right now, pics maybe? But I understand the difficulty with the legs, I've been trying to find a decent solution without ball joints
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Re: From Scythia with love (now with moar pictures)

Postby Zahru II » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm

I like the model, however I'd suggest adding more of a secondary/accent color (more black perhaps?) to the overall look if your inventory allows that. This full red look personally makes me think of the mech as if it was carved out of meat.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Previous

Return to The Armoury