Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Postby ikensall » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:31 pm

A little ornithopter I whipped up, heavily inspired by this guy's incredible art:
Spoiler: show
ImageUntitled by Erik, on Flickr

ImageOrnithopters by Erik, on Flickr

I have more pictures and lore, and a faction to which this belongs, all of that's going to be posted eventually but I wanted to put this up 'cause I'm back to school tomorrow and otherwise it might just get left un-posted.

It's an artillery ornithopter or something, flies around then fires it's cannon at something. It has that black fin because I just can't find my fourth white piece... I think I'll call it The Frostbite

The wings are supposed to flap, I can also put a massive bomb under the tail for better anti-ground results.

Hopefully I'll add to this in the coming weeks, I'm starting a new thread because I've revamped plenty of stuff, got a new photograph setup and I'm bored of the old one.
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Re: Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Postby RedRover » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Love it!
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby stubby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I like the shaping with that minaret. I think the original artists' illustrations really suffer from a lack of surface decoration though. A couple of insignia or patterning or racing stripes or something would really help them a lot. The black fin and yellow stripes on your model help alleviate the monotone of the originals.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Bricko » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:34 pm

neat turret! very cool!!!
TROLOLO
Bricko
Champion
Champion

Postby CaptainZebra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:54 am

Reminds me of the History Of The Runestaff books by Michael Moorcock.
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)
CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Postby ikensall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:11 pm

I do quite like it when people say my stuff reminds them of something else they remember like that...

@ Stubby: I feel a little cheaty using big one-piece shapes, but the onion dome piece was really crying out for it and making curves like that are ridiculously hard otherwise. I agree with the thing about details; putting it together I felt this build didn't quite have as much to look at as some of my others. I wish I had a way to make it so there were tiger stripes running around the tail section although I'm happy enough with it as it is.
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Postby Tzan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:48 pm

I was thinking with more black and white instead of the gray and brown, you could have a killer whale look.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Return to The Armoury