M122 "Assailant" Mk. 2 Main Battle Tank

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

M122 "Assailant" Mk. 2 Main Battle Tank

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

The M122 Mk.1 was an excellent general purpose MBT, excelling at eliminating armor of it's size or smaller with ease. The issue quickly became that fact that armor larger than it would merely shrug off it's comparatively puny 95mm main cannon. The tank chassis was large enough to able to support larger cannons, yet it was not actually equipped with them.

Pictured: A M122 Mk.1.

Following the ancient universal law of "More Dakka = More Victory", Engineers at Unitar Fleet Systems devised a new, frightening upgrade to the venerable M122 chassis.

Featuring the identical chassis of the original, the Mk,2 capitalizes not only on the existing manufacturing lines for the Mk.1, but also on the ease of retrofit to older units. The Mk.2 features all the same weapons of the Mk.1, that being a turreted 12.7x99mm machine gun, 5 anti-tank missiles, a 25mm autocannon, and 95mm anti-tank gun, but also adds a massive 205mm artillery piece, or, as colloquially referred to, the "anti-everything" cannon. The turret has been elongated and upsized, and armor plating thickened.

These infer a significant number of advantages but also some disadvantages. First, the protection of the unit is vastly increased. Second, the 205mm cannon vastly extends the effective kill distance of the unit to beyond line of sight engagements. This also expands it's tactical repertoire, allowing it to act in a number of roles, from frontline combatant to long-range howitzer. The number of targets vulnerable to the M122 has also expanded, to now include Super Heavy Tanks. While 1 M122 would be no match for a single hostile Super Heavy Tank, the M122 is significantly cheaper than an SHT, and multiple M122s can be fielded to roughly equal or even superior capabilities of one SHT.

The downside of the Mk.2 is the obvious increase in weight. This leads to a slightly reduced speed. Additionally, it is highly unrecommended to fire the 205mm cannon while moving.

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Re: M122 "Assailant" Mk. 2 Main Battle Tank

Post by motorhead fan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 am

That looks very good, but it also looks like it could fall over at any moment, personally, I'd try and make the main part a little longer to balance it out a bit, but it is still a very nice tank.

razgriz 25th inf.
Dimmy

Re: M122 "Assailant" Mk. 2 Main Battle Tank

Post by razgriz 25th inf. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 pm

motorhead fan wrote:That looks very good, but it also looks like it could fall over at any moment, personally, I'd try and make the main part a little longer to balance it out a bit, but it is still a very nice tank.
I actually haven't had any balance issues. The gun is large, but comparatively light, and the turret base is all the way at the rear of the main body. The only notable balance issue is with turret rotation, since a lot of the weight has been redistributed and slightly de-centralized, but even that's not too big of a deal.

Nonetheless, i have given thought to expanding the length of the tank. Only thing is, the tread you see is the only tread i own, so that's the base i have to work with.