My Army Plan

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

My Army Plan

Postby MaxRCG » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 am

so guys, here is a plan for an army that will be quite large and expensive, and i'll probably make it much smaller as time goes by. (if the image doesn't work, right click and then open image in new tab)

I currently have THESE:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14pc-Army-Military-SWAT-WWII-Soldier-Custom-Minifigure-FREE-LEGO-BRICK-UK-/112444276806 on their way, so i really already have enough for a small army.

Any further ideas for it are widely appreciated.

~Max
MaxRCG
Champion
Champion

Location: OH ITS SCOTLAND ALL YA ENGLISH SHI... Oh sorry, that went a bit far.

Re: My Army Plan

Postby dilanski » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm actually gobsmacked at the pricing on those. Honestly thought they must be knock-offs until I looked closer.

So, modern armies are actually pretty uncommon in Brikwars, but you have a few good example armies to go off of, Including Valiant who has produced the top tier of modern armoured vehicles for Brikwars.

Anyway, my thoughts are as follows. SWAT aren't really part of any modern military, sure they can pop up in Brikwars, but if you are aiming for realism (which IMO is the draw of a modern army), then they'd make sense as part of a separate army, or as another part of a larger nation if you are going down that route of fleshing out from just an army to a full on fictional/real country.

Most militaries have ditched Jeep's for HMMWV's, ditched HMMWV's for MRAP's, and are ditching MRAP's for a yet to be built replacement. Hence why your local friendly state police has a freaking mine resistant truck that can fit a dozen guys in the back, and shrug off RPG hits like it is doing the school run in Uganda, the DoD sold of their MRAPs on the cheap. So my suggestion would be to replace your planned Jeeps for MRAPs, or something based upon one of the planned replacements.

I'd also suggest ditching Truck's for IFV's, which give you the flexibility of a troop transport alongside the ability to hold their own against other armoured vehicles. Now you could say that Jeep's and Truck's are rear echelon, and all modern day militaries keep them around in some form or another. But I'd argue for brikwars purposes, a vehicle that lacks firepower is just a liability and a waste of points. Even if you aren't aiming for realism, you'll still get more out of the cannon toting IFV than just a truck.

Now if you have the Money/Bricks, then obviously build everything. But if you are limited, which I'm going to guess you are, then prioritise for what will give you the most options on the battlefield. If it hasn't got a gun strapped to it, or it doesn't fit a specific niche, then it probably isn't worth prioritising building it.

And if you aren't sure as to what any of these Acronyms mean, Wikipedia is a friend here, they also have nicely laid out pages of all the toys in every major armies arsenal. Dig around and you'll find some really cool vehicles you probably haven't seen before. It'll give plenty of inspiration as to what to build and bring to the table.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby Captain-Camper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I always like the M113 as APCs go being arguably the easiest to build and has been used in other sci fi settings (rhino/MEHTAL BAWKSES).
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby Zahru II » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 am

Honestly thought they must be knock-offs until I looked closer.

One remains skeptical upon seeing "works with leading brands" in the description.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby MaxRCG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 am

SWAT aren't really part of any modern military, sure they can pop up in Brikwars, but if you are aiming for realism (which IMO is the draw of a modern army), then they'd make sense as part of a separate army, or as another part of a larger nation if you are going down that route of fleshing out from just an army to a full on fictional/real country.

Yeah, i see what you mean. I used to play scenario in 2011 a lot, and i would send in units as i needed them from a kind of 'Spawn Point' and then move them into battle. SWAT were always first out, as i used them as a Police-Military partnership. they would go assault a building, and then once it was cleaned out, the military would take it and use it as a fall-back point. The aim was to destroy or overwhelm the enemy spawn, or eliminate all their team. (I still wasn't that good then, i really only followed the basic rules and the armies page. Only recently have i started to use other rules, however i only have my brother to play, and he's a dick about the game sometimes, hence my post looking for scottish people in battle organisation )

Now if you have the Money/Bricks, then obviously build everything. But if you are limited, which I'm going to guess you are, then prioritise for what will give you the most options on the battlefield. If it hasn't got a gun strapped to it, or it doesn't fit a specific niche, then it probably isn't worth prioritising building it.

I actually have a LOT of lego, its just all in a massive wooden trunk, unsorted, so it takes AGES to make anything.
Last edited by MaxRCG on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxRCG
Champion
Champion

Postby Hiremas Alkerith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 am

Same here, mine's all in one large box (Not anywhere near as ossum as a wooden trunk) but I started sorting it out into drawers a little at the end of last year.
By the way, this looks like a great plan!
AnnoyedZebra wrote: why is the dork knights groin shiny?

Stubby wrote:It's a dork in shining armor. Really, if you're going to be a dork knight, the dork has to be the shiniest part.
Hiremas Alkerith
Cannon Fodder

Postby MaxRCG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:02 am

Whelp, they arrived! And the figures are... Cheap ass.
The guns are great however. The minifigures in camo fall apart easily, and they look OK, but unideal for battling.

Images soon.
MaxRCG
Champion
Champion

Postby dilanski » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:I always like the M113 as APCs go being arguably the easiest to build and has been used in other sci fi settings (rhino/MEHTAL BAWKSES).

Nah man, you want IFV's

Only difference for brikwars is pointwise the cost of the gun, and the presumably extra crew. In return you get a vehicle that can actually support your troops. You also have wheeled examples to go off of:

This latter example is actually modular, as holy tactics batman. Imagine having a few chassis with the ability to swap roles as needed.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby MaxRCG » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:20 am

holy tactics batman

Coop772 reference?
MaxRCG
Champion
Champion

Postby Kastrenzo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:29 pm

I feel like there's scam written all over that ebay page

something isn't right
Faction Index
Last week I put liquid paper on a bee. And it died
Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage

Postby AZKAMAT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 pm

A cheap but really effective weapon loadout for light vehicles is to just put 2 to 4 rocket tubes on turntables then plan for the pilot to fire them nonstop, and also have space to carry 4 or more infantrymen. IME, light vehicles normally get destroyed/crippled after combat starts within 3 turns of continuous combat unless everything within threat distance dies in that time. If you want spare ammo, a solution I use is 1 or 2 logistics 4-wheelers with nothing but clips or slots to hold extra rockets.

Mk. II rockets work best IME for this role.

Also, plan what you want to do with all those 4 crew in your tank. Building a compartment that properly fits 4 seated figs at controls is WAY more parts greedy than building one for two crewmen. Mine work fine with 2+Automated Reloader, so if if you took more than that on a normal tank you're getting Assisted Gunnery bonuses or insurance if somebody gets killed somehow. Although, IMO&E if your tank crew are getting killed you've got bigger problems than having spare crew in the vehicle.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image
AZKAMAT
Minifig

Return to The Armoury