Champion 2A4 Main Battle Tank

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

Champion 2A4 Main Battle Tank

Postby militaryfreak » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm

The Champion 2 Main Battle Tank was designed by Kruttz Metalwerks in response to North Mirthan's acquisition of American M1 Abrams tanks. The Champion originally rolled out in 2002 with 50 units. In 2004 the updated Champion 2 rolled out just in time for the Rattack War, where it proved an adequate match for the North's M1 Abrams. The 2A1, 2A2, and 2A3 variants saw upgrades to electronics and weapons to combat newer M1A1 Abrams tanks. the current 2A4 has added an active protection system and improved frontal armor.The first upgraded units were put into service in 2012, with final upgraded units rolled out in 2015.

The commander sits in a cupola with 360 degree view. Using a hunter-killer system, the commander can highlight targets to the gunner via digital interface, for rapid acquisition of multiple targets. the turret is Electro-mechanically stabilized, meaning that even if the rest of the vehicle moves, the turret will always face the same way.
The rear of the turret has been extended from the original King Bear Frame. not only does it house more ammunition, but also has a mechanical assist for the loader, to make loading quicker. The magazine is also blast shielded. should an enemy shot hit the magazine, the blast will channel upward and be forced out of the vehicle through breakaway panels.

The main gun is a L55 Rheinmetal 120mm smoothbore gun made in Germany. Capable of firing fin stabalized HEAT rounds, High Explosive, or armor piercing Sabot rounds made from solid Tungsten. The gun is electro-mechanically stabilized. it will always stay at the same elevation, and always pointed at the same target.

Another key feature is the addition of side skirts to the sides. the armor is composed of composite material overlaid with ceramic and reactive armor blocks.

Unlike most tanks, the Champion 2 places its engine in front. Giving the crew a rear escape hatch which also can be used for battlefield resupply. To improve upon the Champion 1 hatch, the Champion 2's hatch is built as a movable piece of armor, thus eliminating (or significantly reducing) it as a weak spot. The front mounted engine significantly increases crew survivability. It is accessible to all crew members.

The Lower hull is shielded with the PLATE-M mine protection system. the track is reinforced steel-Titanium alloy coated in high density composite rubber to reduce noise

The Champion 2 features working suspension, 'nuff said

The Armor across the tank is much the same as the Champion 1, although thicker in most places. It contains an updated ceramic tile arrangement to absorb heavy rounds. the Laminate steel skin of the tank is resitant to the spall generated by an RPG, thus reducing its effectiveness against the vehicle. the turret and front sections are sloped to deflect incoming rounds. and new curtain of armor has been added under the turret to protect the turret Ring.

Atop the turret is the DEFENSOR system, a pair of Hard kill launchers on either side are capable of launching a charge loaded with silicate fiber shards. A charge is launched towards an incoming missile or rocket. It explodes and destroys the projectile.

In addition to hard kill launchers, DEFENSOR features a soft kill system, which uses electro magnetic discharge to interfere with guidance of incoming missiles.

The crew compartment contains 4 men. a Gunner, Driver, Loader, and Commander. The crew compartment is well defended from heavy ordnance with ceramic tiling and thick composite armor. the inside is lined with laminate steel to prevent spalling and fragmentation. This particular part of the tank has reactive armor components that explode upon impact, the shockwave forces shrapnel out, and away from the inside of the vehicle. The tank is fully sealed against Chemical and Nuclear threats.

The back of the turret holds ammunition for the main gun, away from the crew, while also accessible to the gunner
An additional magazine is in the crew compartment, it does not feature fancy safety measures, as the crew compartment is already the most protected part of the tank. Tanks assinged to light armored battalions have the magazine removed, allowing them to carry a group of up to 4 additional soldiers.
militaryfreak
Hero

Re: Champion 2A4 Main Battle Tank

Postby BriksKrieg » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm

love this
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.

sahasrahla wrote:we can always count on Tzan to offer engaging and intellectually stimulating observations on the topic at hand
BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Postby motorhead fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 am

I also love it, Could you possibly show us how the suspension works? I've been trying to figure that out for a while.

(And now for my usual question)

do you have any plans for a forum battle using your stuff?
motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Postby Omega Prime » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm

motorhead fan wrote:do you have any plans for a forum battle using your stuff?

I'm seconding this question.
gotta love knitting needles. i can make you a scarf. i can make a hat. i can stab your eyes out. i can make mittens.

What was that middle part again?

i can make a hat
Omega Prime
Cannon Fodder

Return to The Armoury