[JJJ18] Unbearable Cold

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

[JJJ18] Unbearable Cold

Post by Duerer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:36 am

ImageUnbearable Cold
The Siberian wastelands are a vast, merciless, yet crucial region of the USSSR, for they serve as an imortant location for secret testing and research facilities, as well as mining sites for valuable minerals. Although a lot of adversaries of the USSSR possess highly advanced technology, none of them could possibly take on the bitter cold of Siberia. However, not all Soviet soldiers are that well adapted to these extremely low temperatures either and often are insufficiently supplied. Thus, most guards are left to hunt their own food to stay alive.

ImageUnbearable Cold
Luckily, this bunch of soldiers managed to hunt down a bear, albeit a rather weird looking one due to its more humanoid stature. None of them seems to notice or care however, as being out in the icy wastelands with next to zero food supplies doesn't really allow you to be picky about your food.

ImageUnbearable Cold
Anton doesn't really care if he gets fired or executed by his superiors for drinking on duty. As the camp fire doesn't quite do the trick for him to get properly warmed up, some homebrew should help him out instead.

ImageUnbearable Cold
Poor Viktor had to head out to the woods for more lumber to keep the camp fire lit up, while his comrades are keeping themselves all warmed up.

ImageUnbearable Cold
However, none of them seem to notice the other impending danger to their survival. The ursine natives of this land are visibly mad at the soldiers for grilling one of their fellow tribesmen. It is not unusual for Soviet patrols in the cold to fall victim to a bear tribe attack, especially after capturing one of their members as additional food supply beforehand.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Re: [JJJ18] Unbearable Cold

Post by Falk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 am

I really like the snowy roof and campfire.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Post by motorhead fan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 am

That's really nice, you could do a forum battle opposing bear tribe squads and USSSR squads sent to hunt them to extinction.

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Brikwars needs more snow.

been thinking of doing something with it, myself lately
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Building a snowman?

Kommander Ken

Post by Kommander Ken » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Style – 9/10
So much character in this build. I like the use of the brown bear mask to act as the charred meat.

Substance – 9/10
Let me just reiterate here by saying that I loved the character in this build. You can tell by the looks of the hut that the USSSR is in a harsher environment, yet there the soldiers are trying to make the best of it. Probably in vain though.

Photography – 10/10
Pretty much a perfect entry. Your use of a backdrop makes it all the better.

Theme – 1/10

Dienekes22
Cannon Fodder

Post by Dienekes22 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 pm

Style: 9/10

Substance: 9/10

Photography: 10/10
stubby wrote:Oh man, look at these guys. Beautiful units, photos in focus, appropriately cropped, white background... what if I remove all the current photos from the rulebook and just replace everything with these
Contest Badges
Show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Medivo factions - Medivo Forum Battles
Sci-Fi Factions -

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Style: 9/10
The scene feels as quaint as you would think, and the lighting makes it feel like late evening with a low sun. The bits of snow on the roof really enhance the mood.

Substance: 5/10
While the build comes together well as a whole, a lot of it could be built better. The cabin is main thing, as those log pieces would look a hundred times better mounted sideways rather than vertically. A couple things in there are nice, but since they're just slightly modified from official sets it's hard to give many points for them. Lastly, I feel like the white base should have either been extended to accommodate the car and bears, or left out. I do like the angled posts of the cooking spit, though.

Photography: 7/10
I already mentioned how the lighting helps the mood, and the shots are chosen well. There are a couple things that are slightly out of focus, and it might have been cool to get a photo from the bears' perspective, but other than that everything's solid.

Theme: 2/10

Total: 21 (2)
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.