Pallas Space Skiff

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Pallas Space Skiff

Post by Natalya » Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 am

J+B suggested I make a space skiff or something so we could have epic ship-to-ship boarding action.

So I did.

Introducing the Pallas Space Skiff. It's essentially a floating space platform with engines attached to the back. This one is also armed with a double-barrel rail gun turret and two foreward-mounted laser cannons.

It also has a grappling hook and a rope so that the commandos on it can latch onto enemy ships and try to board them. The crew here is a pilot, 6 Assyrian Commandos, and 4 2nd-Type Assassin Droids (black visors) so this ship is ready to attack.

The sides and lower hull of the ship are essentially just armour plates everywhere. The ship isn't armed particularly heavily, but it's got enough armour to get close enough for the crew to assault the target.

There is also a rear deck. Down the hall is where the pilot is. The control panel on the main deck is only an auxiliary control console. It only comes online if the main one is destroyed. Or if the pilot gets killed the people up top can use it to override the lower one with a security code so that they still control the ship. There is also a boarding plank stowed in the corridor here to attack enemy ships. Since the ship is slow, the battle plan is essentially to let allied fighters distract enemy cannon fire until the skiff can get in close. Then they grapple an enemy ship and whatnot to pull in closer. Once close enough they either jump across the void or use the plank to climb onto the enemy ships hull, then they slice the crap out of it with laser blades. It's pretty straight-foreward but incredibly dangerous.

And finally, all of my Assyrian spacecraft lined up. The Pallas is 40 studs long so it's almost half a SHIP, but it's still not even 1/3 the length of the Sonks.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Fri May 08, 2009 6:27 am

that freakin' rocks. i love the railgun design, i might have to copy it. on another note, shouldn't this have been in bricks?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri May 08, 2009 6:30 am

If that's really your entire space fleet, j+b might actually have a chance.

I commented a lot about this on CS, but I'll reiterate it in a nutshell: it seems like it would be better with a more steampunkish feel to it, since it shares a lot of things with steampunk-genre vehicles. I thought about it and came up with a list of things you could do to pull this off:

-- add hand rails around the entire platform. Not necessary in space, technically, but they add to the feel of the ship.

-- Have an auxiliary gunner's seat on the rail gun turret. Even if the turret is controlled by the flight computer, having someone sit in the turret adds detail to it. And if j+b disables the main computer, you'll want to be able to fire the gun as well as steer.

-- build some more controls in the auxiliary cockpit. Make a couple of clips to hold the lead commando's weapons so that he can have his hands free to take control if the pilot dies. That way he LOOKS like he's flying the thing, even when he's not. Right now it looks like it has absolutely no pilot, and that's disconcerting.

-- A couple of fins near the back hull, like the desert skiffs in Star Wars VI. You could call them radiator fins since this is a space-only vehicle.

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 am

looks nice the armor is very similar to the armor my transports Image
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 am

I love the railings the most.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri May 08, 2009 1:20 pm

11/10

Especially the turret.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

cmetal
Nice Dubs

Post by cmetal » Fri May 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Niiice. Like the idea of ship boarding action. The belly is nicely done and the turret is great.
Still too awesome for an avatar and a real signature.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri May 08, 2009 1:39 pm

@ Black Dog:
That's the Assyrian fleet. I will probably also use the Czech fleet, but I won't have all my ground stuff on the big space platform where the AC is.
  ▲
▲ ▲

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Do you have national symbols for those nations you created?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri May 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Also: If this transport carries your regular commandos, then what carries the Star Commandos?

james+burgundy

Post by james+burgundy » Fri May 08, 2009 3:51 pm

i think they teleport or at lest i know one of or commando squads teleports

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Nice, I like how beefy it is in it's under carriage. I'd reinforce the main control panel, I just get paraniod about the pilot being hit.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri May 08, 2009 5:04 pm

No the pilot & main panel are on the lower level behind all that armour plating. I didn't get a pic of that section.
  ▲
▲ ▲

RoC77
Galidor
Galidor
Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Post by RoC77 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

NatalyaAF wrote:No the pilot & main panel are on the lower level behind all that armour plating. I didn't get a pic of that section.
If it's in the lower deck then it's more than secure.....

james+burgundy

Post by james+burgundy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 pm

yea till i chuck a nad in there