Battlecruiser BASCOM

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Battlecruiser BASCOM

Post by Atomsk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:16 pm

I finally built a true 100 stud+ SHIP, with SNOT techniques and huge guns and all that pretentious stuff we all love. I even finally managed to work in those solar panels that have been sitting in my bins for years.

The BASCOM is a 32"-long Battlecruiser armed with five 3" guns and a single 1" point defense gun. The 2x6 missile pods I used on the DESMOND HUME make another appearance. I was influenced strongly by the TEC capital ships from Sins of a Solar Empire while building the BASCOM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rstill/473 ... 370456126/

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Silverdream wrote:Is the long nose only for decoration or does it serve a purpose?
So he can say it's a 100+ stud SHIP.

The scale on this thing seems a bit wierd. I want to imagine a human to fill up about half a stud but it doesn't make sense when you have huge sections of your bridge made entirely of glass. The guns also seem too flimsy and out of proportion as well. The SNOT is good but you could break the plain boxyness with greebles. And what is the purpose of the bubble dome tower? It seems unnecessary.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 pm

don't you think that the sensors array/boom should be a ramming thing? That would be total win! 8)
Rest is really great!

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:15 pm

MicVash wrote:The scale on this thing seems a bit wierd. I want to imagine a human to fill up about half a stud but it doesn't make sense when you have huge sections of your bridge made entirely of glass. The guns also seem too flimsy and out of proportion as well. The SNOT is good but you could break the plain boxyness with greebles. And what is the purpose of the bubble dome tower? It seems unnecessary.
I was going for a retro theme with the smooth hull. The bridge in the middle is based off WW2 battleships, which if you've ever been in you'll know are rather thin. There is a floor between the two levels, and you can fit three minifigs total in there. The bubble on the rear tower is based off the TEC capital ships from Sins of a Solar Empire, which are studded with bubbles like that. I was going to put one on the front section as well, but didn't have room with all of the turrets.

MicVash
Officer

Post by MicVash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Atomsk wrote:
I was going for a retro theme with the smooth hull. The bridge in the middle is based off WW2 battleships, which if you've ever been in you'll know are rather thin. There is a floor between the two levels, and you can fit three minifigs total in there. The bubble on the rear tower is based off the TEC capital ships from Sins of a Solar Empire, which are studded with bubbles like that. I was going to put one on the front section as well, but didn't have room with all of the turrets.
Well I don't think you're old enough or salty enough to have been on a WWII battleship. I don't care about thickness. I was talking about scale. So if the bridge is three levels, don't you think it's wierd than an entire room is transparent: all walls? And I was asking about the function of the bubble tower. If a bunch of bubble towers were on a ship, I'd assume they were miniature colonies, ecosystems.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Museum ships, dude. They're awesome.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 pm

I happen to like the bubble tower in the back. I do nto think you need to explaign everything one can see on a ship that is a fictional creation.

I do think the turrets look too thin but that is just my opinion. :wink:

Overall I like the ship.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Jbgarrison
Minifig

Post by Jbgarrison » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I like it. The bubble on the back makes me think of an off-duty recreation/observation space for crew not normally allowed on the bridge.

I tend to agree that the main bridge might have some solid blocks backing the "glass" blocks so that it doesn't appear the structure is entirely made of transparent blocks supporting heavier materials by themselves, however, it's actually just as good as is it is if you can just "imagine" central structural core holding it up from the center or something.

I personally like the Sensor projection in the front, and agree that it makes sense with EM interference.

The gunnery looks good, but I wasn't able to spot the lone point defense system you were referring to. The main guns remind me of beam weapons.

I don't see the value of ramming with a sloop/frigate sized ship (or this possibly even being a corvette as you mention number of minifigs fitting on bridge as very limited)... so the sensor boom makes perfect sense to me.

IMO, good job!