Bipedal Attack Droid/Artificial Squad System

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Bipedal Attack Droid/Artificial Squad System

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Just got back from vacation and found the parts I bricklinked before I left. I spent basically the whole day building these battle droids, inspired by this.
The T.L.A. Bipedal Attack Droid/Artificial Squad System (B.A.D./A.S.S.) was an attempt to bridge the gap between vulnerable foot soldiers and expensive, heavy mech units with a small, cheap, and fast robotic weapons platform. The program called for several Bipedal Attack Droids to be combined under the control of a single AI, creating a perfectly-coordinated squad. In the end it was only a mixed success; while B.A.D./A.S.S. units were extremely destructive on the battlefield, they moved too slowly to keep up with T.L.A. formations on foot and were too large to be loaded into battlefield transport vehicles, which prevented them from being effective in offensive operations. However, they have enjoyed great success in urban combat and as counter-attackers, inflicting casualties on enemy strike forces in support of T.L.A. defensive positions.

The Anti-Infantry B.A.D. is equipped with two arm-mounted miniguns giving it a full 360-degree field of fire.

Each B.A.D. has a large integral backpack containing power cells. This pack is the robot's primary weakness; a direct hit could cause unpredictable power surges, effectively doing additional damage to the robot or even resulting in an uncontrolled shutdown. Overall, though, the robots are as well-armored as most T.L.A. vehicles.

A shot without the head and chest plate, showing how the torso fits together.

The anti-vehicle B.A.D. is armed with a shoulder-fired Mk.IV rail gun. Together with its massive recoil buffer the gun weighs as much as both of the Anti-Infantry version's weapons put together.

Other side of the railgun.

The Recon B.A.D. carries a plasma burst cannon and moves faster than the other variants. It can also be equipped with extra sensors to provide targeting data to allied forces, but this slows it down unless it is fitted with a lighter weapons load as well.

Side view.

The Artillery B.A.D. is only rarely seen on battlefields. Equipped with a Bombardment Cannon, it cooperates with the Recon unit to lay down a lethal barrage of indirect fire. Its heavy frontal armor plate protects the vulnerable ammo magazines and power cells inside.

Rear view. Note the radio dish mounted on the cannon.

Initial tests of urban combat with B.A.D.A.S.S. units revealed that while they were lethal in street fighting, they were vulnerable to ambushes set by troops hidden inside buildings, which they themselves could not enter. The Infiltration B.A.D. is designed to solve that problem. No taller than a normal minifig, the Infiltration unit can easily fit through a doorway and mow down enemies inside with its minigun.

Working with the same leg and arm design, I also constructed Irony Man, a T.L.A. hero. (Iron Man 2 was playing on the flight back to the U.S.)

Side view giving a better look at his rail gun. In performance terms it's identical to the Rail B.A.D.'s but slightly more compact, allowing him to fit a light machine gun on each arm. Unfortunately, due to limited energy requirements he can't fire both the arm guns and his back mounted weapon at the same time.
A cut-away view of the interior structure. Although his arms are the same as the B.A.D.s' his body is built very differently. This photo also shows his shoulder weapon in the retracted position.

He can also carry a flamethrower, though it's nowhere near as cool.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Very powerful, but not invincible, I like that. Nice look, Approved. now go make an army of these :D

Clockwork Orange
Champion
Champion

Post by Clockwork Orange » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:59 pm

I love it. I am so making a few of these guys...
thanks for posting!

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 am

I feels more like a terran firebat than iron man, but great job!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:25 am

Nice work. They are great.

I do like the Anti-Infantry one the best, but they all are nice.

I do like how the legs were made.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 am

Question: has 'irony' man got the tony stark colonial trooper face?!

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am

Don't think so, no. The face was just a random one I happened to have.

I'm thinking about disassembling him and using his joints for another B.A.D., but I don't know how it would be equipped. I think I've gone through all of the useful equipment configurations already. Ideas?

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 am

Theblackdog wrote:
I'm thinking about disassembling him and using his joints for another B.A.D., but I don't know how it would be equipped. I think I've gone through all of the useful equipment configurations already. Ideas?
Maybe some kind of missile box and use it as artillery?

Or dish and antennas and call it command and control support?
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 pm

At first I thought Freddie had taken you over (very nice Bots btw) and then I saw the Irony Man and was blown away, I'll maybe be using some of this myself, thanks! 8)

Clockwork Orange
Champion
Champion

Post by Clockwork Orange » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 pm

I've made a few of these fine little guys and they look exceptionally cool. however- you have me stumped at how the arms connect with the body. would you mind posting a pic of the torso without the pack? if you could, that would be awesome.
again, very cool. thanks for posting.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm

▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

@Daniel:
The artillery idea sounds cool; I didn't put missiles on any of them because there wouldn't be room for very much ammo, but I could make a larger variant with a bombardment cannon. Thanks.

@Warhead: yeah, the scout in particular looks exactly like something Freddie would build.

@Clockwork orange: Check the picture with the Anti-Personnel unit's chest plate removed and you'll get it. Also look at the original inspiration which I linked to at the top of the page; he built the backpacks differently in a way that gives a clearer view of how it all goes together. The shoulder joints are taps like the ones used in the hips and ankles.

Clockwork Orange
Champion
Champion

Post by Clockwork Orange » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Theblackdog wrote: @Clockwork orange: Check the picture with the Anti-Personnel unit's chest plate removed and you'll get it. Also look at the original inspiration which I linked to at the top of the page; he built the backpacks differently in a way that gives a clearer view of how it all goes together. The shoulder joints are taps like the ones used in the hips and ankles.
Thanks, I figured it out. It turns out I just needed a certain piece I quite frankly forgot excised. lol these guys are so badass... they remind me of Terran Marines.... wanna piece of me, boy?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Awesome. Please, please post them.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Ok. Make an army of these and pit them against Fredde's, or no cookies for you. Great job.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.