Dragon-guard's Firewyrm Cannon

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Dragon-guard's Firewyrm Cannon

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 pm

The dragon's which ravish our realm have taught us much over the centuries. Taught us how to fear. Taught us how to flee and seek shelter during all seasons. Taught us to survive and thrive on little so that when the time came, we would not need much to fight back. They stole our crops, our herds, our children, our men. The dragons taught us suffering.

Finally, we fight back.

It is, perhaps, ironic, that we take the dragon now as our emblem; our scourge becomes our strength. We have chosen to confront our oldest enemy, chosen to keep them closer than they realize, chosen to steal their very strength so that they might learn to fear us.

The Majistick also taught us much, lifted us out of our rustic, farm-tool rut, bringing with him geometry, chemistry, the sciences, the arts, all sorts of strange magicks that we had only dreamed of. As our militias grew in resilience against our foes, we were soon in want of greater fire-power. We desired an implement of our own to deter all comers and make those who stood against us quake in fear. The Firewyrm Cannon was born of out this desire, though was not the success we were looking for. Don't ask me how it works...only the magistick knows; the fires are hot and the concoctions it launches are deadly. All I know is we are one step closer to taming the dragon...

-- end entry

WARNING -- LDD PROTOTYPE INSIDE -- WARNING
...Turn back now if LDD turns you off...
I use LDD to prefigure some creations before I invest the cash to assemble them.

I present to you the first prototype of the Firewyrm Cannon, a concerted attempt on my part to add a siege engine with "kick" to Lucien's army. You might readily notice that the "Dragon Head" of the cannon is modeled after the T-Rex head in the Stego Creator set from Lego; I was fond of the design.

The front teeth are set on a hinge to move up or down when the cannon fires or doesn't fire. The cannon itself is manned by 4 minifigs, two of which propel the machine via the jutting poles near the rear wheels.

The opening in the back of the dragon's head will theoretically be stuffed with OT fire and the location where the cannon is "loaded." One thing I couldn't replicate in LDD is my plan to attach red gray wings to the sides just in front of the pushing-poles as a sort of archery shield for the propulsion figs.

Tentative Stats:

Size: 3 (best guess)
Structure Level: 3d10 (dragon scale armor)
Propulsion: 5" (based on two figs pushing)
Mind: n/a
Weapon: Central Cannon
Use: 5 / Range: 24" / Damage: 3d6
Squad: 4 minifigs - 1 engineer (1d6+1 skill), 2 pushers, 1 "ammo boy" or replacement if other squaddies die.
Bonus: 4 heavy weapons for use by squaddies

Whenever the 2010 rulebook is more finished, I may have one of the "propane" switches in the back toggle back and forth between cannon and flamethrower mode.

Colonel-Kermit
Officer

Post by Colonel-Kermit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 am

Very cool idea but I feel the back end needs some thing more, the dragon head will make it fall forward all the time. But still a very nice way to make your cannons look better.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 am

Colonel-Kermit wrote:Very cool idea but I feel the back end needs some thing more, the dragon head will make it fall forward all the time. But still a very nice way to make your cannons look better.
Indeed. I would advise some container to fill up with OT stuff and shovels or some other sort of weight for the back. Anyways, awesome idea

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Post by Craigallot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 am

Very cool, I only recommend changing the cannon itself to another colour, since it looks like wood, which would burn or shatter if it were used as a cannon :wink:

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 am

Bragallot wrote:Very cool, I only recommend changing the cannon itself to another colour, since it looks like wood, which would burn or shatter if it were used as a cannon :wink:
It's one of those unfortunate LDD complications where the barrels are brown only; IRL, i'll probably settle for the dark/light gray versions of the same. A shattered cannon is indeed useless.

Thanks for the input. In the first mock-up, the rear of the cannon was even lighter; i'll keep working on making it more voluminous.

Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Post by Craigallot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am

You should get a brute (Hagrid or some larger guy you build) to 'push' it. If he holds the end part and you put him on a baseplate, it'll keep the thing in balance as well. Though of course it's indeed best if it can stand by itself. Maybe a tail? Alternately, you could make the back wheels smaller / the front ones larger. Then of course it wouldn't shoot in a straight line, but I think cannons were mostly aimed up a bit. It would be awesome if the head could move, even if only slightly, and have an operator. If it's going to be shooting dragons that would even be recommended :)

All-Bricks United
Officer

Post by All-Bricks United » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 am

This thing looks great - and it'll only look better when physically put together. I can see the "lop-sided" thing, though. When you actually build it, I'm sure it won't be too hard to balance the back end. Legos aren't -too- incredibly heavy.
<a href="http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 3092">Join the ABU in our quest to overthrow the tyranny and racism that is rampant in our brick-world!</a>

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:49 am

I like the idea very much. Now do eet irl!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE