News from Dinoreich.

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

News from Dinoreich.

Postby White Nun » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 am

I've been busy which is why I haven't posted so much, but despite that I managed to do a little vehicle construction & etc.

Recently an old Austin ambulance that was parked up on bricks was taken into Itchy Dave's scrapyard and rebuilt into an armored car for the Dinoreich Militia. (Austin truck based armored cars with staggered twin turrets were used in Russia during the Revolution.  My version differs in being adapted to cope with muddy conditions by having more wheels)  Unusually for Dinoreich this armored car has an Otto cycle engine and already bets have been taken at the garrison at Despond as to how long it will be before it breaks down.
Just as a 'by the way' Bicycle troops were used in Colonial times and it was a big surprise for me when I found out.  Previously I'd been using bicycle troops in Vic Sci-Fi wargaming for ages thinking I was doing something original.  I'm going to see if I can track down some more bicycles for my Militia guys, but haven't had a lot of luck so far. (And yes I know that bicycle is missing tyres, - I need to call in at the hardware store and get some 'O' rings)

With the arrival of the Americans on Dinoreich an opportunity was taken for both the Britannian garrison and the American embassy guard to engage in friendly wargame maneuvers for training purposes.  Afterwards the American guard sergeant commented to your correspondent that it was, 'Pretty darn interesting, - but are those guys for real?'
Normally that old Armstrong-Vickers steam tank stands on the river bank near the wharf at Despond as a semi-permanent defensive blockhouse, but especially for the occasion it was steamed up and put to use during the wargames.  Mostly Corporal Scruff stood in the hatch waving his sabre while the 'borrowed' American engineer co-opted into trying to drive the thing muttered under his breath, 'Goddamn crazy limeys...,' as it clattered and clunked and lurched about.

Perhaps the most spectacular news is that the battleship HMS 'Intrepid' is being transfered to the White Sector..........

HMS Intrepid's sister ship HMS Dauntless is famous for blasting an Assyrian Cruiser instantly into drifting metallic fragments with a broadside from her gigantic ion discharge cannons at the battle of Scrapper Flow.  The fact that HMS Dauntless herself was shortly afterwards blown apart by two Assyrian Frigates because her huge ion discharge cannons were still recharging does tend to be glossed over by the writers of Britannian League history books however.

As for HMS Intrepid herself history records very little, except that not long after launching she was sent out on a voyage of discovery into an unexplored region of the galaxy and not seen or heard from again until she was found eighty years later drifting abandoned at the outer fringes of the Blue Sector by a Britannian light cruiser on patrol duties.   Not a sign of her crew was ever found anywhere on HMS Intrepid, however the tables in the mess were set out for supper and the final entry in the captain's log was brief and cryptic , 'Dash it all we've run out of tea......'

Nobody was at all surprised when HMS Intrepid was eventually towed to the Naval Dockyards at New Glasgow.  After a general check over she was given steaming trials and these were successful enough that the decision was then made to give HMS Intrepid a complete rebuild to bring her more in line with the other elderly Ironclads assigned to the White Sector.
More pictures shall follow, though I will mention a strange rumor I heard that the New Glasgow dockyard mateys have affectionately named the old battleship 'HMS Woodbines'........
White Nun
Dimmy

Postby subyrally » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am

looks like have definitely been busy. nice work and great story. :guinness:
"Warning: Small children may present a choking hazard when consumed."
TROLOLO
subyrally
Nice TRIPS

Postby Silverdream » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 am

Awesome. Loving the Austin Armoured Car.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Postby Warhead » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 pm

What can I say, the vehicles and ships all look fantastic as always. The fleet is awesome! I like the raised wheel for rough terrain, sort of reminds me of some of the WWII armoured cars used in Lybia.
Warhead
kaka pants

Postby Zupponn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:34 pm

I love the storytelling and your building.  Keep it up! :D
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:56 pm

I love the truck, it's got a great colonial feel to it.
Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Postby IX_Legion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 pm

All the vehicles are cool, but the ships...They are totally awesome! They really look like old WWI style dreadnoughts adapted for space (I assume they are starships?).
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)
IX_Legion
Minifig

Postby Hoboman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 pm

That is a great armored car. Love the eight wheels.  :wink:
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:15 am

Well done I love the turrets.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Postby RunsWithLegos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 am

Excellent story mate. Every time I see a new post from you I need to brace my self for awesome. Also if I may recommend a book series I feel that you would greatly enjoy  the 'Destroyermen' Series by Taylor Anderson.
RunsWithLegos
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby White Nun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Thank you for the wonderful comments gentlemen  :D

I have a lot of fun messing about and making equipment for the Dinoreich Britannian garrison, but I think for the present time they have enough to be going on with.  I really need to do some more work on the French and the Germans as they're a bit lacking at the moment.

Unless I get wildly inspired I won't build another Britannian Space Ironclad for a while either as I really need to build at least one French warship and one German (Prussian Hegemony) warship of some kind or another.  The little French aetheric gunboat 'Lyon' ended up being rebuilt into the Britannian gunboat 'Lion' as it really did look too much like a Britannian vessel right from the get go.

This is a late 19th Century French Ironclad battleship and hopefully I'll be able to devise a space going version if I hold my mouth right........
White Nun
Dimmy

Postby Porphyrogenitus » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 pm

You can't go wrong basing the Prussian ship on the Bismarck.

Image[/img]
0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.
Porphyrogenitus
Officer

Location: Aurora, Indiana, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Postby White Nun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 pm

A good suggestion, but maybe just a little too modern in detail.

This is the 'Nassau' a WW1 German Dreadnought which is more the kind of thing I'd like to build.

White Nun
Dimmy

Postby White Nun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 am

Further wargame maneuvers have taken place near the garrison at Despond on Dinoreich.  This time it was the turn of the treadheads in the American and Britannian forces to have a go which despite all the noise delighted the local farmers as now they don't have to plough their fields for planting.
When asked for his opinion of the Britannian steam tank the American tank commander shook his head saying, 'Never seen a critter like that in my whole life before.  It's slow, makes a god-awful noise, belches black smoke all over and it's hotter than a night in July inside that darn steel box.  Fires a big shell though, wouldn't wantta be in the way of that puppy when it comes calling....'

My Britannian Armstrong-Vickers steam tank is built on a Best-Lock underframe in case you were wondering.  It came with an APC set I purchased second hand and I could never get the thing to go together properly and look right.  Makes a far better steam tank in my opinion   :)
The green American tank is from the big COGO Army set I purchased this week.  I didn't build it exactly from the plan with regard to some of the finer details and as I go along I'll most probably modify it some more.
White Nun
Dimmy

Postby Robot Monkey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 am

That's a rather :boxy:  turret on the Brit tank, but overall nice job with the both of them!
Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Next

Return to The Armoury