Updated armies

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Re: Updated armies

Postby NapalmKing » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

If you look at HBO on demand they have things about the places where the show was filmed I haven't found time to watch them but everywhere from Croatia to Iceland was mentioned.
The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses(according to a friend from the UK) so it kinda should look like northern Europe but I definitely wouldn't describe KL as middle eastern.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Updated armies

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:11 pm

it was a vague feeling of desertness, my MURICAN mind drew the connections.
User avatar
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2842
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Updated armies

Postby Bragallot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm

NapalmKing wrote:The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses


Not aiming this at you, but this is something I hear a lot, like I hear people say 'Lotr was based on WW I' as well. I just don't see it.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
User avatar
Bragallot
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5380
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Gloating over my driver's license

Re: Updated armies

Postby NapalmKing » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Idk who your aiming it at I repeated it because she was British and a fan so I figured she would know.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Updated armies

Postby Silverdream » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Bragallot wrote:
NapalmKing wrote:The thing is the books are very closely tied to the British war of the Roses


Not aiming this at you, but this is something I hear a lot, like I hear people say 'Lotr was based on WW I' as well. I just don't see it.


I thought it was a metaphor for the WW2 on the Piltogg's side. You have men and aryan super warriors allying to destroy their enemies from the West and East, while fighting jewish corruption(wormtongue).

Plus, everybody knows that George Martin took a bunch of kingdoms from real life and applied them to his universe. Starks=Scots, Dothraki=Mongolians, Lannisters=Roman Empire.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Updated armies

Postby Bragallot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Well, the Lannisters being the Romans doesn't support the whole War Of The Roses thing though. I'd see them more as Englishmen who crossbred (rather than inbred, har har) with the Dutch, really. I mean, I can understand people see certain influences like the War of the Roses or WW I (or II), it just seems to me often people exxagerate this influence. Some guy I know likes to say 'Lotr is wholly based off WW I!' Yeah, WW I had orcs, trolls, castle sieges and magic, of course, how did I forget. And of course Lotre had trenches.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
User avatar
Bragallot
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5380
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Gloating over my driver's license

Re: Updated armies

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:11 pm

The Goldcloaks in the show honestly look kind of Byzantine to me.
User avatar
Alex
Dimmy
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 11:31 am
Location: South Korea

Re: Updated armies

Postby NapalmKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Huh I rationalized it as lannisters being Roman Northmen being Brits and Wildmen being scots whatev though.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Updated armies

Postby Silverdream » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

NapalmKing wrote:Huh I rationalized it as lannisters being Roman Northmen being Brits and Wildmen being scots whatev though.


Yeah, but the North are the GOOD GUYS. I mean, the English invented concentration camps, subjugated China with opium and committed genocide and slavery on a daily basis. Scotland has always been the underdog that does the right(if sometimes misguided) thing.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Updated armies

Postby NapalmKing » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

General rule in history nobody is ever the 'goodguys' I meant the statement in terms of organization and culture.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Updated armies

Postby Silverdream » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm

NapalmKing wrote:General rule in history nobody is ever the 'goodguys' I meant the statement in terms of organization and culture.


Except Poland, Finland, Switzerland and Hungary. Those four countries have always done the right thing.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Updated armies

Postby Zupponn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Piltogg: I won't invade you if you give me money.

Switzerland: Okay.

Piltogg: And by the way, I'm slaughtering Jews.

Switzerland: Not our problem.
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny
 
Posts: 5617
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: Updated armies

Postby Zahru II » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 am

We should make a GoT general for this thing in Thunderdumb. :rtfm:
User avatar
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Hüngäry

Re: Updated armies

Postby NapalmKing » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 am

In the case of finland and poland they were too weak to do jack
Switzerland not only was neutral against the nazis but the actually took the gold that was pulled out of dead jews and sold it to allied nations bought war materials and sold it back to germany.
Hungary hasnt done much but they were part of austria hungary who didn't have a great track record.
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.
TROLOLO
NapalmKing
Dimmy
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Updated armies

Postby Silverdream » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 am

NapalmKing wrote:In the case of finland and poland they were too weak to do jack
Switzerland not only was neutral against the nazis but the actually took the gold that was pulled out of dead jews and sold it to allied nations bought war materials and sold it back to germany.
Hungary hasnt done much but they were part of austria hungary who didn't have a great track record.


Finland and Poland were too weak? In the case of Finland, I present you the Talvisota, in which they were able to force peace after a brutal war with the USSR where they were outnumbered 3 to one in infantry and thousands to one in tanks and aircraft. There is a case where a Finnish soldier stopped a tank with a crowbar.

As for Poland, they were totally destroyed by the nazis(and the USSR to a lesser extent). But they stood very bravely, and continued to fight. With Zahru. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(soldier_bear)

Hungary has been on the wrong side of every war in the last century. You do have to give them respect for rising up against both the Nazis and the USSR though.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Armoury

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests