Tourist
17%
Valkyrie
4%
Wizard
9%

Total votes : 23

Postby Magic Soap » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am

when I played, it didn't look like the traditional version, it had sprites. HELP!
WHAT VERSION!

When I played last time my dog tripped me and I died.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Butthurt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:51 pm

...you sir, played sprites. falcon's eye maybe. *barf* don't bother looking it up, whatever it is it was rubbish.
Arkbrik wrote:My personal opinion is that both Xbox and PS suck, and you should get a life or download Nethack.

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 pm

When you download NetHack now there are two different versions of the same game. One has sprites, the other doesn't.

When you download it you will get two files with the NetHack logo. One is NetHack, the other is NetHackW. NetHackW takes up a little more space and when you hover over it it says "Graphical Interface." This is the one with the graphics. Hover over the other one and it will say "TTY Interface." You want that one.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Magic Soap » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

Fixed. Awesome game now. I was killed by a midget.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Butthurt » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Arkbrik wrote:Stuff I've discovered that beginners might find useful:
-Drop things at altars to see if they are cursed or blessed.
-Throw a tripe or food ration at wild cults and dogs to make them your pets.
-Don't kick doors.

You can also use your pets to curse ID things. Pets won't want to step on cursed objects, and if they do and it's cursed, you'll receive a "Fido moves reluctantly" message.

Horses like apples, dogs and cults like tripe, food rations, meatballs, whatever. Good trick to know: Even if it's a food the animal doesn't like (like meat to a horse, or vegetable to a dog/cult), it will neutralize the hostile animal to peaceful. And then you can pick up the foodstuffs you threw too.

Kicking doors can exercise your strength and can be the only way to continue without a lock pick, key, wand of opening or whatever. Just exercise extreme caution when you're on a level with a shopkeeper. Kicking his door makes him a Frumpysaurus. Also, it can wake up nearby monsters, so it'd be a poor choice for say, entering a leprechaun hall.

Finally, the guy who delivered my pizza last Friday was an avid Nethack player (who ascended!). I got his number, and I still can't decide if that was really cool or really lame.
Arkbrik wrote:My personal opinion is that both Xbox and PS suck, and you should get a life or download Nethack.

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby Ross_Varn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:34 pm

SHE BE BACK

That reminds me, I need to start playing this again. Dwarf Fortress be sappin' ma Nethack.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 am

I play vulture's eye, because text based games make me cry. I got a lvl 5 valkrie and dipped my sword and got Excalibur but then died of food poisoning :(. However, Wikihack is a huge help
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Arkbrik » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 am

Ross_Varn wrote:Dwarf Fortress be sappin' ma Nethack.

I've been thinking of ways to combine the two.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby jmatthew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:15 am

Arkbrik wrote:
Ross_Varn wrote:Dwarf Fortress be sappin' ma Nethack.

I've been thinking of ways to combine the two.

Hasn't that already been accomplished to a degree?... You know... with the "adventure mode"?
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby ahp77 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

I apparently drank some liquid LSD. Will it wear off?

I dunno if potions described by color are uniform across all games, but if they are, it was "orange potion".

EDIT: I also drank a potion of enlightenment. Will the LSD affect the abilities on the list?
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Descriptions are randomized to prevent people from listing them and identifying potions over a series of games.

the lesson here- Don't fucking drink unknown potions unless you're about to die.

Also, the milky ones summon ghosts and the smokey ones sometimes summon genies in addition to whatever the potion does.

Just figure out which scroll is Identify and then find a shop that sells them. You should be fine then.

Also, Armor shops are awesome. I managed to pick up a Dwarven Mithril-chain shirt for all the gold i had on me, and would have been fine if it wasn't that everything in that shop exept the chain and a Hawian shirt i bought was a large mimic. /cry
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby naussica » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 pm

This game has interested me. I'm gonna play it tommorow.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby ahp77 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 am

booty bothered wrote:
Arkbrik wrote:Stuff I've discovered that beginners might find useful:
-Drop things at altars to see if they are cursed or blessed.
-Throw a tripe or food ration at wild cults and dogs to make them your pets.
-Don't kick doors.

Kicking doors can exercise your strength and can be the only way to continue without a lock pick, key, wand of opening or whatever. Just exercise extreme caution when you're on a level with a shopkeeper. Kicking his door makes him a Frumpysaurus. Also, it can wake up nearby monsters, so it'd be a poor choice for say, entering a leprechaun hall.

Note: The average shopkeeper has more wands than you do, with more charges. Therefore, only enter a shop if you are magic-resistant.
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Butthurt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

What? No, you can safely enter shops without pissing off the shopkeeper (given that you don't attempt to kill the shopkeeper and just want to do straight business). Destroying his door will piss him off though, as will certain attempts to steal his goods. Oddly enough, the shopkeeper doesn't get pissed by pets and their crazy antics. Must be a PETA lover. And yes, you can use this to your super advantage.

You just need to be careful with shops (especially at low levels with the mimics). If you see an item that doesn't belong, it may be a mimic. If the door is locked and it's a shop that's closed for inventory, leave it alone until you have a method to open the door.

@ <3
Butthurt
is totally an Admin!

Postby Keldoclock » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

Play Vulture's eye if you can, it's awesome.

I got the farthest I ever have just now, got a Valkrie to lvl 5 and took her up to Minetown, a housecat attacked me and on the way to the altar i got mobbed by 8 giant ants :( I would have had my first and second artifacts in a few more minutes, but.... goddamn RNG.

Although being a Valk is easy i prefer Knight. You can hop on your penis and wield your lance, and there's a chance you'll Joust the enemy for extra damage, pretty much a instawin at low levels.

Wizard is great too if you start out with nice gear.

also, also.

Drop items on to an altar to find out if they are blessed or cursed. They'll emit flashes of light.

Also also also, you can make holy water at an altar which can bless your items.just drop some potions of water on it and #pray. You'll always find the potions of water, they are always clear potions.
Keldoclock
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to blah blah minecraft