How safe is my 11 year old on this game?

terraria, dwarf fortress, whatever, they're all the same damn game

Moderators: Ross_Varn, 501stCadians, dilanski

How safe is my 11 year old on this game?

Postby Warhead » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm an old fart. I'm miserable, grumpy and have no concept of anything modern. I glory in my status of Ludite Freak and If I can't make it work by kicking/punching/threatening or cutting it's food rationing then I'm out of my element. I have no understanding of this game and distrust anything to do with the net... hell, how safe can it be if I can get on it. Can anyone tell me just how safe this game is for young children to play?.. Mini-Warhead is Micro Bitching a storm about my draconian policies on Internet based games for kids... and I just could not be arsed to sit next to him and watch him play. It's bad enough when he plays Skyrim. I'm near apoplectic by the mental mayhem he gets himself into. Why can't kids take games seriously! DAMMIT!
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Re: How safe is my 11 year old on this game?

Postby Colette » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Warhead wrote:I'm an old fart. I'm miserable, grumpy and have no concept of anything modern. I glory in my status of Ludite Freak and If I can't make it work by kicking/punching/threatening or cutting it's food rationing then I'm out of my element. I have no understanding of this game and distrust anything to do with the net... hell, how safe can it be if I can get on it. Can anyone tell me just how safe this game is for young children to play?.. Mini-Warhead is Micro Bitching a storm about my draconian policies on Internet based games for kids... and I just could not be arsed to sit next to him and watch him play. It's bad enough when he plays Skyrim. I'm near apoplectic by the mental mayhem he gets himself into. Why can't kids take games seriously! DAMMIT!

You will be fine if you force him to play single-player. Maybe cut his internets connection while he plays. It's basically like LDD with green freaks that blow up your face.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby The Shadowscythe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Myself, Accio and our eldest daughter have minecraft accounts - and the game is divided into singleplayer and multiplayer elements.

Play single player - it is exactly what you get on the tin.

Play multiplayer - you actively NEED the I.P address of the server you are connecting to - most well known servers are moderated, some are not - but without actively finding and entering the I.P address for the server into the multiplayer menu for the game, you are not connecting to anything.

You only need to pay once for an account and then you can download the game too, and play on any machine.

In terms of game cotent - it is more than safe for mini-warhead to play considering we let the eldest have an account as well (she is 13) so I say give him an account, and if you see him on any form of multiplayer, just rip the privilege to play it off of him for a while until you decide otherwise.

That help ya, oh mighty Warshed?

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Warhead » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Damn, I thought Warshed would have died by now. Grr! :? :)

All good info. I read up on some of it but I have trust issues with gaming sites reviews. Ok, thanks guys!.. i may let him on line as you suggest but will see how he goes with Single player for now. I'm relieved it's a one off payment or it just wouldn't be happening. He wanted to play with his local fiends from school and stuff but tough shit, I'll just tell him daddies a dickhead so deal with it. :D
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Zupponn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Warhead wrote:I'll just tell him daddies a dickhead so deal with it. :D

A very good and wise parenting practice. :D

Otherwise, I'll have to agree with what Scythe said. Maybe you'll find yourself playing it too. :)
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Keldoclock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Minecraft is very innocent- no blood, cartoony graphics and sounds, themes of exploration and discovery- the game is basically lego digital designer with blocky skeletons and giant spiders.

It's a pretty much perfect game for someone his age. If you take the time to modify it, it would probably be pretty fun for you too!

I'd say it would also be fine to play multiplayer, this is coming from someone who played World Of Warcraft when he was eleven and was fine with it.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Apollyon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:10 pm

As a single player game Minecrat is totally okay for an 11 year old. You can have a lot of fun on your own with this game, played it that way for at least a year, every day until it grew a bit stale.
Concerning multiplayer that depends on the server and the people playing there i guess. Should be pretty safe though, just check it out on your own first before you allow multiplayer.
Basically, as long as you know and control where and what he plays with which people, everything is good. I mean, he is not allowed here (until he grows somewhat older i assume) so we know you do take correct decisions.
One more thing: the game can be very addictve and thus time consuming. And there is so much worthwhile to do at the age of 11. So both of you should agree one some sort of curfew on the Minecraft time.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Greenkey15 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm

The game is completely innocent on it's own. Letting him play with his friends, at least, won't expose him to anything seeing them in person wouldn't.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby 501stCadians » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Warhead, Minecraft is good for the kid to play. My 11 year old Little Brother plays. What you have to watch for online is smacktards- that's why you should let him play with his friends, if they do anything you like you can just smack them.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
501stCadians
Playmobil

Postby Robot Monkey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:08 pm

The only thing you have to worry about with MC, like 501st said, is smacktards. The online community refers to them as "griefers", and they find their fun in destroying people's creations. Mini should just play with his friends, or on a well-moderated server.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby knolli » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 am

Apollyon wrote:One more thing: the game can be very addictve and thus time consuming. And there is so much worthwhile to do at the age of 11. So both of you should agree one some sort of curfew on the Minecraft time.

Before you know it you have spent hours apon hours mining for diamonds or building stuff in Creative Mode. Just recently I helped a friend building a giant tree for about three or four hours before he decided that he had a major flaw in the basic design and decided to just start again from scratch. He is doing research and design studies in Superflat-Creative-Single Player since then. In the beginning he wasn't even using Creative Mode which means that he had already been harvesting wood and leafs for half a day.

If you want Mini-Warhead to have a real life outside of the virtual reality, you should keep an eye on the time he spends in front of the PC/console.

I still remember the first time my father busted me playing PC past midnight. I was about your kid's age then. Wasn't funny. :/
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.
knolli
Dimmy

Postby muffinman42 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 am

I haven't set foot on a multiplayer world since early-2011, so IDK what's normal now. But most people are nice and friendly; Though I did leave due to the number of nice people dropping.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:15 pm

The worst that could happen is that someone builds a giant cock, or says "cuntflap" online. If he's playing with his friends, he's going to hear them say the same things they'd type at school anyway.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Warhead » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:14 pm

...aw, is that all... He's more likely to mentally scar the utter crap out of everyone else then. Cool.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Brikguy0410 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 am

Honestly, that game is rated ages. +6 thereis no blood really, when you kill a monster it just falls over and dissappears in a puff of smoke.
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Next

Return to blah blah minecraft