Growling

Since the dawn of time, one genre of music has dominated and ruled with an iron fist

Moderators: Apollyon, BFenix

Growling

Postby Duerer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:40 am

Is there anyone of you, who ever attempted to achieve growling vocals? I always wondered, if and how it is possible to train a harsh yet somewhat comprehensive vocals, in some sort of way.
These are some examples of what I thought about aiming for:

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Re: Growling

Postby BFenix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:24 am

In the pseudo project band I'm in with my buds, I'm training myself for both growling and clean vocals.

Clean vocals just take time and it's pretty easy not to suck at IMHO. Growling is a whole different world and getting to a point where you're comfortable and aware of your vocal capabilities can be tiresome.

Also I must make use of the time when the house is for myself, because vomiting really loud while trying to sing some lyrics can be pretty weird to others, to say the least.

From what I can tell from personal experience (and this highly varies from person to person) I need to warm up my throat for at least some 15-20 minutes while singing cleanly along to other songs or doing warm-up exercises and once I feel like I'm not ripping my insides apart, I start growling. The more you do it the least you'll need to warm-up, although it's probably something important to always dedicate sometimes to. Your voice will get a bit deeper and lower and eventually you'll be able to growl naturally.

But even so, when that's out of the way, for me, the biggest challenge (apart from synchronizing singing with guitar playing) is breathing. Breathing is pretty much critical and from practicing it I gained alot of respect for many of my favorite vocalists and figured out that the characteristics I like about their style come mainly from how they time their breath intakes while growling. Because believe me, if you don't do this right, you'll get a nasty headache real fast along with not being able to sing to longer and more demanding lyrics.

Yet again, this is different to everyone. I know folks from other bands that basically growl on command and could spend the whole freakin' day speaking as if some abyssal hell-spawn. I can only wish, ahah :666:

This is taking into consideration the examples you showed of course, which are more Death oriented.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Duerer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 am

Nice to hear, that you already have some experience with it. Thanks for sharing.
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 am

Be very careful with growling.  If you don't do it right you can hurt your throat.

Of the breathing that Fenix mentioned, I play saxophone so I'm very practiced in what is known as a belly breath where you breath from the stomach instead of the upper chest.  It lets you take in more air quicker as well as providing you with warmer air to give you better pitch.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Return to The Metal