[PSM] The Traffic Light of Justice

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Zupponn, Killer Karetsu, Moronstudios

[PSM] The Traffic Light of Justice

Postby bluebright » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 am

Write up: http://www.portablespacemuseum.com/brik ... f-justice/

This battle consists of new rules, I know how much you guys just LOVE new rules.

So instead of just killing each other (which is still great), everyone is given a random set of objectives to reach at the start of the game. Each card has a point value assigned to it and the game ends when a team dies and whoeve has the highest amount of points wins. It was pretty fun, I think we'll play like that again.

Also reddit link for those who use that too: http://www.reddit.com/r/brikwars/commen ... f_justice/

To those who are interested in the cards:

The blue are defense (you only get one of these), green are fetch quests and red are killing cards. You get 6 at the start of the game and the first team to get wiped out ends the game. Everyone counts up their points then.
Image Image Image
Last edited by bluebright on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebright
Officer

Re: [PSM] The Traffic Light of Justice

Postby Zupponn » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I was rooting for the Woodland Friends the whole time.  He made some of the best moves.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:36 pm

I like what you've done with the objective cards.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:17 am

Me too. I wonder if it could be generalized...

Obviously not all objective cards would apply to all battles ("burn down 3 trees" doesn't work in a battle without trees, etc.). So you couldn't pass them out randomly and still expect them to work (although creating themed decks like "Medivo Battle Deck" could help with this). But what if it was a bidding system? Imagine the following.

Players take the deck of objective cards and deals out five random objectives, face up. Some apply to the battle, some might not, but that's okay. Maybe some look like they don't apply, but a clever player could find a way to create trees where there were none or something. Anyway.

There are five cards dealt. Put a point marker on each (probably a brick).

The first player takes a card, deals out a new card to replace it. Put another point marker on each card. The new card has one point marker on it, the four left behind now have two point markers each.

Continue until all players have picked an objective, then do it again in reverse order. Now all players have two objective cards with different numbers of point markers. Whoever earns the most point markers wins.

Bonus rule: some (or all) objective cards have a fail state. E.g., you fail the "redshirt two minifigs" objective if your hero dies first. If another player kills your hero, they get the points markers instead of you.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby bluebright » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:25 am

stubby wrote:Me too. I wonder if it could be generalized...

Obviously not all objective cards would apply to all battles ("burn down 3 trees" doesn't work in a battle without trees, etc.). So you couldn't pass them out randomly and still expect them to work (although creating themed decks like "Medivo Battle Deck" could help with this). But what if it was a bidding system? Imagine the following.

Players take the deck of objective cards and deals out five random objectives, face up. Some apply to the battle, some might not, but that's okay. Maybe some look like they don't apply, but a clever player could find a way to create trees where there were none or something. Anyway.

There are five cards dealt. Put a point marker on each (probably a brick).

The first player takes a card, deals out a new card to replace it. Put another point marker on each card. The new card has one point marker on it, the four left behind now have two point markers each.

Continue until all players have picked an objective, then do it again in reverse order. Now all players have two objective cards with different numbers of point markers. Whoever earns the most point markers wins.

Bonus rule: some (or all) objective cards have a fail state. E.g., you fail the "redshirt two minifigs" objective if your hero dies first. If another player kills your hero, they get the points markers instead of you.

These are exactly some of the problems we had to figure out before I made the cards. Pretty much, I had to make sure that each game we played all possible objectives could be met. I'll upload them here in a sec so you can see the ones we played with...which I'm changing again after more play testing.

BUT in short, all regular brikwars players should consider this type of game mode as it is very satisfying when you win and keeps the game interesting.
Last edited by bluebright on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
bluebright
Officer

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 am

I made a quick example graphic, for people who haven't played this type of bidding game before:

The idea is that cards get more valuable the longer they go unselected. A card that seems difficult to achieve will sit around until the number of markers on it becomes irresistible. This is a pretty common trick in Eurogames (see Agricola, Small World, etc.); it's great for lazy game designers because the system balances itself through normal market forces.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby bluebright » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:50 am

stubby wrote:I made a quick example graphic, for people who haven't played this type of bidding game before:

The idea is that cards get more valuable the longer they go unselected. A card that seems difficult to achieve will sit around until the number of markers on it becomes irresistible. This is a pretty common trick in Eurogames (see Agricola, Small World, etc.); it's great for lazy game designers because the system balances itself through normal market forces.

Hey really like that bidding thing. That would solve probably hardest part of balancing the cards, which is the points system. That might solve it then.

Here are my cards:

The blue are defense (you only get one of these), green are fetch quests and red are killing cards. You get 6 at the start of the game and the first team to get wiped out ends the game. Everyone counts up their points then.
Image Image Image
bluebright
Officer

Postby Tzan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am

I suppose the only downside of bidding is that everyone knows what you need to do.
Unless you don't mind.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby bluebright » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Tzan wrote:I suppose the only downside of bidding is that everyone knows what you need to do.
Unless you don't mind.

That's true, half the fun of our last few games is no one knew what you were doing.

My wife won the last game we played because she had the card "Don't kill anyone".

No one noticed she wasn't killing anyone until it was too late, she was really good at hiding it too. Like with "Oh boy, I'm so crap at this game haha." Yeah right.
bluebright
Officer

Postby Sir Sporktimus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 pm

stubby wrote:I made a quick example graphic, for people who haven't played this type of bidding game before:

I'm going to have to try this, I think. Could make games pretty interesting.
Tzan wrote:Violence is a renewable resource.

Natalya wrote:Overwatch died. Put this in your profile if you miss Overwatch.
Sir Sporktimus
Minifig

Return to Reports From the Field