June 2017: The Vault of Walt (Disney)

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Flamer Shaftglutton
Hero

June 2017: The Vault of Walt (Disney)

Post by Flamer Shaftglutton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Five armies gather at Disneyland, eager for their cut of Walt Disney's fortune. Unable to find the hidden vault, the troops turn to taking money directly from the guests...

Unfortunately the lighting was inconsistent and awful, so the amount of pictures is much smaller this time.

The Armies:
The Necromancer from the last game returns.

Ripley from Aliens leading the Weyland-Yutani Corp.

The US Army.

The original residents of Anaheim California (where Disneyland was built) from roughly 100 years ago.

And finally, The Spider:

Their alignments to each other:
Black lines are alliances, red lines are enemies. The first player to destroy both of their enemies wins the game. Attacking an ally (even accidentally) marks you as a target, and thereafter any team that deals the killing blow to you wins the whole game.

The Setting:
Disneyland is full of guests with money practically dripping from their claws. Each team starts only with their hero and $400. They have a roster of units and abilities they can buy which spawn right by the hero. Killing an innocent bystander automatically grants you the money they were holding.

Overwatch:

Details:

Turn 1:
The Spider crawls out of the moat and crushes a few bystanders, trying to collect enough for some (expensive) robo-spiders:

The Necromancer summons some skeletons and they start slaughtering bystanders.

Ripley immediately purchases a squad of flamethrower-equipped miners. They torch some guests to start saving for another squad:

The Anaheim Sheriff builds a posse of outlaws who get automatic hits on bystanders, who immediately get to work fleecing more guests.

The Army General uses his heroic feat to shoot out the support beams of the Mos Eisley Cantina, bringing the roof down on a couple dozen guests:
His personal retinue gets to work collecting the cash.

Turn 2:
Ripley's team focuses their weapons on a single portion of the spider, dropping it to 7 legs.

The Necromancer's team collects enough money for their first Greater Demon: Kurt Cobain.

The Anaheim Sheriff uses his gatling blaster to mow down a whole line of guests, and his team mops up some more. They get a cannon and explosive squad, barely visible in this picture.

The US Army buys a tank and uses it to blast a hole in the side of the volcano. Lava drips onto the spider, inflicting some burn damage.

The Spider retaliates by charging the Army.

Turn 3:
The sheriff commandeers a dog-car that was transporting a tour group. He gets himself a couple squads of units on horseback.

The Spider finally has enough money to buy a mecha-spider to help out. I made them wildly overpriced for their stats, but it was my team so I didn't care.

Ripley buys an industrial exo-suit Powerloader and starts pinching the spider's butt:

Then her miners deal a lethal dose of fire to the Anaheim Sheriff. He attempts to red-shirt, but his posse is too far away. He is burnt to a crisp and the miners seize the car.

Kurt uses his mighty axe for a blast attack, wrecking every bystander in his cone of grunge.

Turn 4:
Ripley's mech is surprisingly good at squishing mecha-spiders.

The Spider scurries into the volcano's watery basin, attempting to get some cover. In the background, the Necromancer summons his second Greater Demon: Dave Grohl.

The cover is wasted, though. The entire US army, now swollen to huge numbers, concentrates fire on the spider. The tank does the bulk of the damage, and a few melee units get blasted into the lava by friendly fire, but it's worth it. The enormous spider implodes, millions of tiny spiders pouring from the carcass like blood.
Here you can still see the metaphorical fist of the nation smashing the creature.

The Necromancer and Anaheim residents fight amongst themselves in the back, barely noticing the death of a titan only a few feet away.

Turn 5:
The Anaheim residents take heavy losses, but finally kill Kurt Cobain and the Necromancer. That team is now reduced to Dave Grohl and a squad of lesser demons, who do their best to hold off the US Army.

Ripley uses a heroic feat to launch a squad of miners across the table, desperate for a patch of map that still has some money left. They land right by Kurt's corpse.

A single mecha-spider remains, and attempts to get revenge:

The US Army continues their disgustingly patriotic domination.

Turn 6:
The remaining Anaheim residents all gang on up Ripley, destroying her Mech. She stands bravely against them, but is struck down too.

The Weyland-Yutani player considers her options. The spider team is down to one mecha-spider about to be killed by the US Army. The Anaheim residents, her other enemy, are all gathered in one spot. If she can kill them, the game would almost certainly be hers. The last squad of miners gather up just enough money for Weyland-Yutani's ultimate weapon: an orbital nuke, capable of glassing a quarter of the map. She weeps as she reads the text more carefully: "Create a size 12D10 explosion anywhere within Ripley's line of sight." With Ripley recently deceased, she cannot order the orbital bombardment.

The spider mech fights valiantly, but the US army destroys it anyway. Emboldened by a player being eliminated, the tank and remaining soldiers turn their sights on the Necromancer's team. The soldiers wipe out the last troupe of lesser demons and the tank punches a hole through Dave Grohls chest, ending the game. The tank rolls forward to start its victory lap.

Aftermath:

Recap:
In case you didn't see my last game, I play Brikwars twice each year with the same group of 4 other people. I make the setting and armies since most of them don't have any LEGO. Once again I waited until the last minute to build the terrain, but I think it turned out pretty decent.

This was a penultimate game that I had been thinking about for a long time. In the past games we faced three problems with Brikwars:
1. Bystanders and terrain are often destroyed, but not to my level of satisfaction.
2. Players felt disheartened towards the middle of other games when their cool units were killed, or they were clearly outclassed by another army.
3. Some players were happy to start mayhem, but others wanted a clear place to start. In the past I did a rock-paper-scissors wheel where you just had to kill off one specific enemy to win, and people liked that.

The alignment pentagram solved a couple of those problems: you now had clear goals, and if you were mostly wiped out you could still win by leaning on your allies.

The RTS-style unit purchasing with (essentially) the bystanders as resources solved the other problems: utter destruction and players always felt like they had a chance to win, so long as they could live long enough to scrape together some more cash.

This was definitely the best game of Brikwars I've played. Unfortunately our apartment had terrible lighting, so most of the pictures were blurry. We've since moved and have a dedicated Brikwars room with excellent lighting, so the next game should be great.

Last time people said that the Greater Demon looked 'metal', so I took it to the extreme this time:
As I had to keep repeating at the event, I am well aware that Dave Grohl is still alive.

References:
Mecha-spiders
Big spider
Tank by Duerer
Ripley
Powerloader
Last edited by Flamer Shaftglutton on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motorhead fan wrote:I hope for more butt stuff in the future!
Duerer wrote:Jump onto the locust demon ahead of me and eat its ass for more power.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Re: June 2017: The Vault of Walt (Disney)

Post by Duerer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

dang, these levers on that spider surely are a nice touch. And I didn't notice you based your arty tank off my design at first. You even managed to make its turret rotate, sweet!
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Post by sahasrahla » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:43 am

fukkin beautiful, man

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 am

Wow! :shock:

As you mentioned in the recap, those rules additions are really perfect.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:10 pm

That battle was actually pretty amazing.

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

that B-Movie spider is making me uncomfortable.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Flamer Shaftglutton
Hero

Post by Flamer Shaftglutton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

That was intentional since one of the players has mild arachnophobia. He ended up being one of my allies, but he was still uncomfortable enough to stay on the opposite side of the table all the time.

I think it's the hairs.
motorhead fan wrote:I hope for more butt stuff in the future!
Duerer wrote:Jump onto the locust demon ahead of me and eat its ass for more power.

Captain Hollister
Champion
Champion

Post by Captain Hollister » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Saying that the terrain is 'pretty decent' is a bit of an understatement, it really looks for phenomenal for something that was apparently last minute. And that giant spider...