[HH] Incursion

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Zupponn, Killer Karetsu, Moronstudios

[HH] Incursion

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 pm

The Britannian exploration fleet begins their advance into what used to be T.L.A. space...

"Jump complete, Captain. Unknown signature ahead."

[SCREAMING GEOMETRICALLY]
"Bugger all, that's an Angel! Order all fleet units to alter course."
"Just one moment, sir - more contacts on scope."

"It's the T.L.A.! How the hell did they manage to survive the Third Impact?..."

Turn 1

The light cruiser and picket ship peel off to flank the enemy, while the rest of the fleet steams full ahead.

The T.L.A. mirrors their moves, sending their beam-armed ships to intercept the flankers while the rest of their fleet advances.

The torpedo frigate flies too close to the Angel, and gets hit by a positron beam. Its heavy armor absorbs most of the damage.

Turn 2

The Britannian formation continues to advance.

The T.L.A. advances as well.

The Britannian frigate fires at the T.L.A. beam frigate and inflicts a point of damage.

The beam frigate fires back and deals two.

The Britannian torpedo frigate manages to mask its signature by shutting down most of its key systems, and so the Angel administers a perfectly geometric ass-kicking to the next closest target. The T.L.A. missile cruiser is reduced to one HP.

Turn 3
The Britannian picket ship sails past the T.L.A. vessels.

The rest of the ships continue their advance.

The missile frigate flies right in front of the armored cruiser, where the cruiser's broadside guns can't fire.

The beam frigate pulls the same maneuver on the light cruiser.

The heavies advance as well.

The torpedo frigate finally gets into range and fires.

Finishing off the missile cruiser.

The beam frigate also opens up, and does 3 points of damage to the light cruiser.

The T.L.A. missile frigate fires on the armored cruiser and does a point of damage. Then the Angel takes another shot at the Britannian torpedo frigate, and does 2 points of damage.

Turn 4
The picket ship accelerates past the T.L.A. flanks and towards the battlecruiser's rear arc.

The heavies turn broadside on to bring their guns to bear.

The missile frigate flies past the armored cruiser and makes an attack run on the Britannian battlecruiser, but does no damage.

The beam frigate and cruiser bracket the Britannian light cruiser while avoiding its fire arcs.

The picket ship does two damage to the T.L.A. battlecruiser, which can't fire back since all of its weapons are in the front arc.

The missile frigate may have avoided the battlecruiser's fire arc, but the armored cruiser caught it and inflicted 3 points of damage.

The T.L.A. beam cruiser blows up the Britannian light cruiser.

And the battlecruiser eliminates the torpedo frigate with a railgun shot.

The Angel blasts the T.L.A. beam cruiser and does two points of damage.

Turn 5
The picket ship continues to buzz annoyingly around the T.L.A. battlecruiser and whittle down its HP.

The beam frigate races back across the battlefield to intercept it, but is caught near the Angel and takes heavy damage.

Turn 6
The picket ship deals more damage to the battlecruiser, but it turns...

...and blasts it out of space with a missile salvo.

The missile frigate turns around for another pass, but the battlecruiser destroys it first.

The Angel finishes off the T.L.A. beam frigate.

Turn 7
There's a lot of maneuvering for position which leaves no one able to fire.

...except the Angel.

Turn 8
With the T.L.A. battlecruiser on its last legs from its fight with the picket ship, the armored cruiser manages to finish it off.

Meanwhile, the Britannian battlecruiser takes out the T.L.A. beam cruiser, ending the fight.

"Let's rejoin the Admiral. We need to warn him that the T.L.A. is still alive!"

[SCREAMING GEOMETRICALLY]
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: [HH] Incursion

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Rules analysis
This battle used a rule set based on QuantumSpace, but with enough changes that I consider it a distinct rule set.
Rules:
Spoiler: show
As in QuantumSpace, ships have a set pool of Energy which they can allocate to different systems: a Movement system to move or pivot, Weapons systems to inflict damage, a Defense system to resist attacks, and a Sensor system to increase weapons range. Each ship has different stats for Movement, Weapons, Defense, and Sensors which determine the maximum amount of energy that can be allocated to each system. Ships also have an HP pool, which is fixed and determines how much damage they can take. For this game, I didn't use any Crew, Strain, or Overload rules.
Ship design
Ships come in three different hull sizes:
Frigate: 4 HP, 8 Energy, 12 system points
Cruiser: 6 HP, 10 Energy, 15 system points
Battleship: 8 HP, 12 Energy, 18 system points
After choosing a hull size, allocate your system points to the Movement, Defense, and Sensor subsystems as well as any number of Weapon subsystems. No subsystem may have more than 5 points assigned to it.
Weapon types:
Turret: 1d6 damage. May fire in any direction.
Battery: 1d6+1 damage. May fire in one 90-degree arc.
Railgun: 1d10 damage. May only fire directly ahead.
Turn order:
At the start of each round, both players allocated energy to their ships' subsystems. The Britannian fleet moved first, followed by the T.L.A. fleet; then the Britannian fleet attacked first, followed by the T.L.A. fleet.
Movement:
For each point of Energy assigned to the Movement subsystem, the ship may perform one of the following actions: move forward 2", or pivot. Frigates may pivot up to 90 degrees, while cruisers and battleships may pivot by up to 45 degrees. Ships may only make one pivot per turn, and may pivot at any point in their movement.
In addition, each ship has a base move depending on its class. Frigates have a base move of 4", Cruisers 2", and Battleships 0". The base move distance is added to whatever movement the ship can perform with the Energy allocated to its Movement subsystem.
Attacking:
All ships have a base attack range of 4"; ships can increase this range by 2" for each point of Energy assigned to the Sensors subsystem. Ships can also cut power to systems in order to reduce their signature and thus the range at which they can be targeted. When targeting an enemy ship, subtract 2" from your targeting range for each point of available Energy that the target ship has not assigned to any system.
If an enemy ship is in your attack range, you may attack it with any weapons that can bear on it. Weapons make one damage roll for each point of Energy assigned to the weapon, and the target's armor value is the amount of Energy it has assigned to its Defense subsystem. For each damage roll that is greater than (not equal to) the target's armor value, the target takes 1 damage.

Observations:
Allocating energy at the very start of the turn is a terrible idea. Many times I found myself misjudging the amount of energy I needed to put into sensors and/or weapons to range on a target, and being unable to fire because of it. A better solution would be to allow players to assign energy to the Movement subsystem at the start of the round, then assign energy to Sensors, Defenses, and Weapons after movement is complete.
Sensors seem underpowered. In future games, I would change the rules to give ships 3" of range per point of Energy to sensors, and possibly give larger ships a greater base sensor range.
Firing arcs change the game drastically. The picket ship, with the weakest weapons and defenses in the game, was able to bring a battleship down to 1/4 health by getting into its blind spot and using its turrets to whittle down its health. In the future, I may increase the damage of Battery weapons to compensate for this.
Additionally, firing arcs make the game very sensitive to small changes in movement rules. If the rules had allowed multiple pivots in one turn, the T.L.A. beam frigate likely could have caught and destroyed the picket ship, which would have changed the whole outcome of the game. Admittedly, some of this was due to poor tactics on my part: a game with limited firing arc encourages tight formations and mutual support, rather than the free-for-all that happened in this game.
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: [HH] Incursion

Postby ninja_bait » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:50 pm

gameplay 5
photography 4
violence 4
writing 3
appeal 4

spooky cube
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Return to Reports From the Field