The Escape from Dubai

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Killer Karetsu, Zupponn, Moronstudios

The Escape from Dubai

Postby Atomsk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:58 am

So I have a lot of posts on this forum, and I realized after my return that I had contributed very little other than walls of text.

I'm going to remedy that by supplying you with a wall of pictures. If you want to visit my flickr stream, here's a link to all of the pictures, http://flickr.com/photos/35301231@N05/.

These were taken last fall at a 6-player Brikwars game entitled "The Escape from Dubai". After several rigorous minutes of research on wikipedia, I painstakenly recreated the city of Dubai, complete with high-rise towers, colonial forts, open-air markets, and an indoor ski slope.

This is an overview of the entire 14-sq panel battlefield, viewed along Sheikh Zayed Road (yeah I wiki'd it). At the bottom of the image, next to the pile of dice, is the 501st Legion. I don't really have a backstory for them, but it was the only army Josh had.

The two guys in the previous picture were playing The Knights Templar (seen here scaling the purple skyscraper, again without backstory), and the OPEC Terminator, which actually has a deeply-rooted story in this setting.

The 501st Legion begins their assault next to the Jumeirah Mosque, with Ski Dubai in the foreground.

My own army, Blackwater Security, lands on the shore next to The Palm Islands with a Cougar MRAP. Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the Emirate, can be seen in the lower left-hand corner.

The point of this scenario was for my forces to rescue my hero, a Tony Stark-eque character who had invented an economical form of fusion, from the OPEC Oil Lords in the palace seen here. OPEC sent an oil-based Terminator back in time to prevent his escape, and their impending economic obsolecence.

This is where the details get fuzzy. I think the Terminator crashed that convertible full of jewels into my MRAP. The red sports car was sent careening into the market and ran over a neutral npc falconer. Pretty rude.

I'm not at all sure what happened here, but one of the Knights Templar got gibbed.

Somebody blew up the Mosque later in the game. My friends are really politically incorrect and intolerant.

After destroying half the city and lighting the Oil-Terminator on fire, my squad escapes to Al Fahidi Fort to wait for the chopper to pick them up.

Unfortunately, like in all Terminator movies, he wasn't quite dead yet, so the battle ended with a climactic fight suspended mid-air from a Eurocopter AS 332B. In the end, I rolled a critical heroic feat and red-shirted General Grevious (my friend Jesse's hero) to sacrifice himself to save Tony Stark. Yeah that's right, I forced him to do it. That's how I roll.

And finally, the coup-de-grâce for my awesome battle:

A girl playing brikwars! I win the internet!
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I like it.

And I think I have you beat on the whole "girl playing Brikwars" thing: My girlfriend plays Brikwars with me. AND buys me Legos for my birthday.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Atomsk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:15 pm

OneEye589 wrote:And I think I have you beat on the whole "girl playing Brikwars" thing: My girlfriend plays Brikwars with me. AND buys me Legos for my birthday.

Pics or it didn't happen 8)
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby Zahru » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I just love the nice scenery! Great job!
Zahru
Officer

Postby Atomsk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Zahru wrote:I just love the nice scenery! Great job!

Thanks. I'm getting ready for another battle, set in the overgrown ruins of another city. I really like the idea of combining the high-quality dioramas, vehicles, and minifigs older builders make with the action of immature brikwars games. We'll see how it turns out. The key is to not get attached to your creations, since you'll probably destroy them.
Last edited by Atomsk on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:10 pm

OneEye589 wrote:I like it.

And I think I have you beat on the whole "girl playing Brikwars" thing: My girlfriend plays Brikwars with me. AND buys me Legos for my birthday.

Request rank change for OneEye to "MY GIRLFRIEND"

On-topic, excellent job! This is exactly how Brikwars is meant to look.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby pesgores » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Scenario! That's what makes BrikWars heavenly.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Cpl. Halan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 pm

that is an awesome brikwar, I wish the Maurans could kick ass in that city, how I build cities is I use crappy building techniques without any quality control, the result is a bunch of square buildings which are all you need for a city(detailed buildings make it better but it's too much work). my vehicles simply get removed when destroyed.
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:00 pm

IVhorseman wrote:

Hahaha, but my girlfriend is on the forums... It would be weird if I was ranked "MY GIRLFRIEND", but my girlfriend is also on the forums. Should her rank be changed to "MY BOYFRIEND"?

Atomsk wrote:Pics or it didn't happen

ktBombshell is my girlfriend and the first two battles I had were with her. Also, somewhere on the forums is a picture of her with an Optimus Prime mask and lightsabers.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm

OneEye589 wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:

Hahaha, but my girlfriend is on the forums... It would be weird if I was ranked "MY GIRLFRIEND", but my girlfriend is also on the forums. Should her rank be changed to "MY BOYFRIEND"?

Atomsk wrote:Pics or it didn't happen

ktBombshell is my girlfriend and the first two battles I had were with her. Also, somewhere on the forums is a picture of her with an Optimus Prime mask and lightsabers.

Request rank change for OneEye to "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY GIRLFRIEND"
IVhorseman

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Sounds good to me.

Anyway, I actually laughed out loud at the Palm Islands.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:22 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Anyway, I actually laughed out loud at the Palm Islands.

Same here. I loled at the entire recreation of Dubai.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby Pvt Expendable » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:54 pm

where was the big building with the sail thingy?
Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Postby Atomsk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 am

Pvt Expendable wrote:where was the big building with the sail thingy?

You can see my pathetic attempt at the Burj Al Arab in the first two pictures, at the far side of the coast from the fort. It's not really the ideal shape, and I wasn't able to include the suspended tennis court, but i didn't have a lot of room on the beach.
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby Jaye Tea » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm

awesome battle, really great settting.
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!
Jaye Tea
Officer

Return to Reports From the Field