What is your favorite battle size?

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Favorite battle size?

Tiny (no more than 3v3)
1%
Small (platoon vs platoon, maybe a small vehicle)
12%
Medium (more than 15 troops, some vehicles)
38%
Big (more than 40 troops, big battlefield)
29%
EPIC (no less than 100 units on each side, gigantic battlefield, lots of vehicles)
20%

Total votes: 131

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun May 17, 2009 1:59 pm

tahthing wrote:I just solo play-tested my idea. It ended with one team's mechanic escaping in a VTOL he repaired. The layout was two small tables with lego pieces on them.
Hey that gives me a funny idea. Has anyone ever tried just dumping a bunch of bricks out on the table, giving all their minifigs Mechanik abilities, setting them on either side of the pile, and making them build their war machines on the fly?

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Sun May 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Rayhawk wrote:
tahthing wrote:I just solo play-tested my idea. It ended with one team's mechanic escaping in a VTOL he repaired. The layout was two small tables with lego pieces on them.
Hey that gives me a funny idea. Has anyone ever tried just dumping a bunch of bricks out on the table, giving all their minifigs Mechanik abilities, setting them on either side of the pile, and making them build their war machines on the fly?
the pieces wherent really compatible with makeing viacles more of just for cover.
though i might try that idea, each team starts with one viacle with extra wheels and controls on the back so they can build stuff easyly.
i think i tryed this before but as a build off style before the game where each person gets a box from which to build from.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Tuefish
Dimmy

Post by Tuefish » Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 am

I voted small, because the only thing better than watching a minifig get ripped apart into it's component pieces, is knowing that that minifig had a family back home and a mortgage, and hopes and dreams which will never be realized now.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Rayhawk wrote:
You'd probably have to include lots of propulsion devices and guns instead of just random bricks, unless you want to build walls.

But it would be cool to try out.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Tue May 19, 2009 5:05 pm

yer and people with orginised collections would have to reorganise.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu May 21, 2009 5:33 am

Rayhawk wrote:
I tried this once and it sounded fun at first. But it takes at least 15 turns per player before the fun starts and every player actually has something to battle with. The battle did got fun and exiting after some time. There where mayor fights over important parts like helicopter rotors and mecha legs. You should also dump some minifig parts in there so if you have scavenged a pair of legs, a torso and a head you've got youerself an extra minifig.

PS: we didn't use Mechanix we used regular figs.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:
I tried this once and it sounded fun at first. But it takes at least 15 turns per player before the fun starts and every player actually has something to battle with. The battle did got fun and exiting after some time. There where mayor fights over important parts like helicopter rotors and mecha legs. You should also dump some minifig parts in there so if you have scavenged a pair of legs, a torso and a head you've got youerself an extra minifig.

PS: we didn't use Mechanix we used regular figs.
that sounds like an epic idea. the only question is if with my friend andy will it sound like an epic success or an epic fail?
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Filefolders
Warrior King

Post by Filefolders » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 pm

I was between small and medium. I have around thirteen soldiers in my armies, but they are all mechanized. I went with small, since that's what my forces are like, and, thus, where my experience lies.
I am a fanatical purist. Keep your evil decals and Brick Arms away from me.

Like KoTOR II but think is seems rushed? The fine folks at Team Gizka are out to fix it!

dcl32
Minifig
Location: In Afghanistan providing supressive fire with an M60

Post by dcl32 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm

wait a platoon can have from around 15-45 men so it wouldn't be considered small maybe squad on squad would though

Ranger S2H
Minifig
Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Post by Ranger S2H » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:00 am

I like about 20-ish troopers, with only a few vehichles for support.
with a smaller battle you can get more detail and have your troops do more things that would be ignord in epic scale.
for example you wouldnt want to work with wounded figs in epic scale, where theyre dead or alive, and infantry is mostly just vehicle fodder, while in small scale you can have him drag himself to cover and make a heroic last stand.

Im currently working on a brikwars variation that emphasises on individual troopers working together.

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 pm

RJ wrote:
Ranger S2H wrote:Im currently working on a brikwars variation that emphasises on individual troopers working together.
BrikWars Manual (somewhere) wrote: The figs are too stupid to do anything but pose and kill each other
I don't see the connection
That leaves us one choice: Techpriest Enginseer.

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Really, it wouldn't be too hard. Just get one of the Agents head with a red hood and cape, grey legs and one of many torsos that has electric tools, then an agent arm socket with rod hole and an exo Robot arm. Then give him a cool axe.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 pm

I used a black hood, I have a red cape but not a red hood. I also used a cyborg head. It has some breathing stuff or something like that. Some space marines wear that thing.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

the battle should be fairly large, but army size should be kept small, otherwise people will care less about troups and it will just be rolling dice with little to no thinking involved. (this means you need lots of players.)

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 am

I have another friend who has a lot of legos. But Whassup435, me and my friend never get together and play brikwars because
1) My friend knows nothing about brikwars.
2) We can't teach him because we never get together. But I often play with Whassup435.
3) He only has medieval legos. And Yoda.

Forum battles are a good idea, but it is more fun when you get together and play brikwars with a lot of people.