Battle for the Pyramid

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

IX_Legion
Minifig

Battle for the Pyramid

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm

This is going to be my first battle report, so if anyone has anything constructive to add, I will be more than happy to listen. If you're just going to flame, shut up right now. Also, I apoligize in advance--some of my pictures are a little blurry and/or dark. Again, I'm new at this.

Without further ado:

A lone elf scout returns to the castle after his mission far into the desert wasteland that lies to the south of the Empire.

"I need to see the king. It's urgent."

"Your Majesty, I have found a pyramid far in the desert. It is of great magical power."

"Could you lead a force there?"
"I can."
"Very well. Get back to your unit."

"General!"

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Ready the army to move. We march at dawn!"
"At once, your majesty."

Meanwhile...
The League of Evil's Council of Wizards is holding a meeting.

"I have found reports of a powerful magical pyramid deep in the wastes. Imperial troops will be moving there soon. If we act immediately, we can beat them to it."

"Most of my warriors are tied up in skirmishes to the north. I'll send what I can, though."

My skeletons will be with you."

"Very well. We march at dawn."

Later...
The Imperial army moves forward in battle line.

Their center is held by hoplite mercernaries...

Backed by Imperial pikemen. The red-armored Bear Knights provide some flank security.

Imperial Men-at-Arms, acting as light infantry, guard the flanks.

The reserves. From left to right: two knights, the army commander General von Schwerin, King Frederick VI, the commander of the light infantry wings, the elf scout, and the King's wizard.

The League of Evil army, also in battle line.

Skeletons screen the front of the line.

A war elephant dominates the center. It is flanked by Viking mercernaries and the orc troops.

To each flank are the Dragon Wizard's light infantry.

In the center are the Bull infantry, former mercernaries who have served with the Dragon Wizard so long they have become his most trusted troops.

The reserves: two knights and the wizards. Security is provided by the Necromancer's two Scorpion Knights and two peach mercernaries. Their very prescence on the battlefield is an insult to all yellow troops involved in this great battle.

The pyramid which is the objective, and the expanse of desert between the two armies. The sands give -1 movement to all minifigs on foot, and -2 movement to all horses. The elephant is unaffected.

The battle will begin in the next post.
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: Battle for the Pyramid

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Turn 1
The Imperial army advances, held back by the sand and their heavy infantry.

The skeletons advance, while the League's main battle line holds position.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 0
League of Evil: 0

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Turn 2
The Imperial musketeers fire...

...Killing one skeleton.

The skeleton advance continues.

A skeletal crossbowman fires, killing a light infantryman. His blood is immediately soaked into the sand. Surely this is not a good omen...

His comrade fires, but he accidentally shoots one of his own in the back. It does not kill, however.

The rest of the League army advances. The orc berserker, on the right, charges forward.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 1
League: 1
Last edited by IX_Legion on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Turn 3
As the musketeers relaod, the crossbowmen fire. They cause no casualties.

The line advances, the light infantry moving ahead. 5 Skeletons die, causing no casualties among the Imperial troops. The elf and the wizard move to the left flank.

Skeletons retaliate. 4 Imperial casualties and 1 skeleton dies.

The orc berserker beheads a hoplite.

The evil army advances.

These crossbowmen kill a light infantryman. the two on the other flank fail to kill their target.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 7
League: 6

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Turn 4
The hoplite commander steps into the gap left by the fallen soldier. The three attacking skeletons are killed, but the orc berserker survives everything they could throw at him.

He kills a skeleton.

These two attack, for no effect.

The crossbowmen and musketeers combine fire on the elephant, hoping to wound it and cause it to stampede.

Their plan works too well. A combination of good damage rolls and horrible armor rolls kills the elephant. The elephant's rider dies in the fall, though the two orcs it fell on are okay.

With the help of a friendly red-armored swordman, the berserker is killed and the phalanx advances.

A skeletal crossbowman kills a Man-at-Arms. his counterpart on the other flank attacks the elf but fails to kill him.

This Man-at-Arms dies, along with a crossbowman on the opposite flank. Just look at the terror on his face.

The Viking leader claims the last of the light infantry on the left flank. The other Viking's throwing axe is ineffective against its hoplite target. Nearby, an Imperial crossbowman falls to a Dragon crossbowman.

These guys advance. the orcs who were trapped under the elephant rise up, and the Dragon crossbowmen claim yet another Imperial crossbowman. Dang, those guys are good!

The four Bull soldiers move up, one arming himself with a javelin.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 13
League: 12

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Turn 5
The wizard raises his staff. The air around him shimmers...

...And he teleports three men who were on the right flank over to the left.

Reinforced, they go on the offensive, claiming a skeleton and a dragon knight.The musketeers fall back to reload.

The cavalry commits to the right flank. Two skeletons are disrupted, and a Dragon knight is killed.

The phalanx obliques to the left. Their massed spears go to work, killing a Viking and an orc. The Viking leader manages to survive their attacks.

The skeleton crossbowman tries to disengage from close combat with the wizard, but is killed.

The fighting intensifies as the League forces advance. The Viking leader kills a hoplite and the wizard is gutted by a Dragon swordsman. The League crossbowmen drop their crossbows and arm themselves with melee weapons.

The other Vikings move up, and three more are killed by those unrelenting spears. They cause no casualties.

Dragon troops attack the knights, for no effect. An orc attacks the phalanx for no effect except getting himself killed. Crossbowmen fire and hit, but horrible damage rolls do not kill their target.

The Bulls move forward and the League reserves move toward their left flank.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 23
League: 18

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Turn 6
The elf goes on a rampage. He shoots a Dragon with his bow (crit success)...

...Beheads the swordsman who killed the wizard (another crit success)...

...And uses his elven healing powers to revive the wizard. (I rolled for all of that. Honest.)

Two more dragon knights die, and the Viking leader succumbs to the combined fire of the musketeers.

The phalanx advances, attacking the last orc footsoldier. He takes 29 damage from two pikemen and a hoplite. Needless to say, he died.

The lancers switch to swords as the King, the general, and the light infantry commander (whose command is down to one crossbowman) catch up. Two skeletons die.

This Bull readies a spear to throw...

...And kills a hoplite.

A crossbowman kills a mounted knight.

The remaining Imperial knight and the King are attacked by enemy infantry, to no avail.

The reserves continue forward.

Something catches the attention of the wizards on the battlefield...

A spear of energy shoots from the obelisk into the sky. The blood soaked into the sand gathered at the pyramid, charging the magic, awakening what lies within...

The ancient doors grind open...

...and mummies begin to issue forth.

Overwatch of the battlefield.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 31
League: 20 (minus 1)
Mummies: 0

That's it for tonight, folks. Tomorrow I'll fight more of the battle and post it.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:56 am

Really enjoying it so far! My money's on the Empire, that hoplite-pikemen murderball in the middle is unstoppable.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lawmaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:02 am

Very nice battle can't wait to read more.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 am

Zahru II wrote:...that hoplite-pikemen murderball in the middle is unstoppable.
Tis a true story.

Is this a battle solo? Or do you have an opponent? The evil f-orces could definitely use some pointers on how to fight vs a shield/pike wall. :twisted:
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks, hopefully I can finish today.

@Rev, yes I am playing solo. I was worrying about the flanks of the phalanx, since the evil guys had more troops out there than the Empire. For a while it looked like they would get around the sides, and they still might on the right flank, but the flanks turned out to be absolute slaughterhouses for both sides. I am interested to see how the mummies do coming straight into a cavalry battle. :twisted:

In case anyone was wondering, the mummies you see are not all that's coming. They have more.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 am

GO IMPERIALS! Zahru is right, phalanxes are the best.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeah except if they get some area of effect damage going. Still, so far it's an undead-ass kicking, and it's what I like best :twisted:
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

heavyfishcannon
Minifig

Post by heavyfishcannon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Kinda sad the elephant died so early. Awesome battle, wish the demon sand didn't eat the blood, but on the other hand, if you did use blood, the phalanx would have drowned by now!
"there are no bystanders in the battle for survival. anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush"

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 pm

@Heavyfishcannon: yeah, I had great hopes for both the elephant and the javelin-armed rider. Not the least of which was seeing it stampede through its own lines. As for the blood, the phalanx would be knee deep. Looking over at the battlefield, you can see where it passed by the gap in the bodies--they were simply pushed out of the way. As for the blood, I have a confession. A disturbing lack of red pieces means blood effects are quite difficult for me. :( However, this problem will be fixed as soon as I make my next pick-a-brick order!

Anyway, I'm going to post the next six turns or so soon, once I get the pics downladed to photobucket. What I expected to be a one-day battle became two, and now three. It's kinda stuck at the stage where not much else is happening, so these turns may not be as exciting. Sorry.

-Valkyrie (the movie)