Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: Battle for the Pyramid

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Turn 7
A Dragon knight goes down...

...Followed by the Bull leader.

(Sadly, this picture was eaten by a picture-gremlin)
The crossbowman tries to kill the Bull spearman but fails, so the wizard and elf combine fire on him. Why is the Empire so determined to clear their left flank?

Ah. The phalanx wheels to face the remaining League f-orces, as well as the approaching mummies.

The king beheads one attacker despite his pitiful parry attempt, and his horse disrupts another. The knight and the general both miss the dragon footsoldier they aimed at, while the light infantry commander (whose from now on will be "the Baron," because I can't remember what his name was supposed to be) dispatches the final skeleton. The riderless horse bolts.

A Dragon footsoldier throws his sword at the king, who parries easily. He then runs to grab a better weapon.

The Dragon axeman tries to withdraw, hoping his opponents' bad rolls would hold. They didn't.

The mounted Dragon knights slaughters the Baron, new name and all.

The skeletal Knight misses the Imperial knight.

A Hoplite is shot by a crossbow bolt.

The evil reserves continue forward. The necromancer, his skeletons now destroyed, tries a new spell to win the mummies over to his side.

It works on two of them, who kill a former comrade. A wave of magic ripples outward from the pyramid. That trick won't work again.

The two traitorous mummies are killed. Both rolled a 1 on a 1d10 armor roll. :evil:

More mummies pour from the pyramid...

...As flying mummies appear on the cliffs above!

They fly over the battlefield...

...And land amongst the battling troops, killing an Imperial musketeer and a Dragon crossbowman.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 37
League: 23 (minus 1)
Mummies: 3
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Turn 8
The musketeer and crossbowman fire on a mummy.

The unstoppable damage roll (three dice because one made a critical on skill)...

...And the armor roll that stopped it. That's Brikwars--anything's possible.

Attacks on the other mummy by the Bear knight and the elf both roll 1 for damage.

Realizing he can't get to the mummy by normal movement, the other Bear knight grabs a Hoplite spear and charges. The results are obvious.

The Imperial wizard zaps the necromancer, but fails to kill.

The phalanx continues to advance. the pikeman on the right misses his attack on a Dragon infantryman.

The cavalry battle continues. The only casualty is an Imperial knight, felled by the skeleton's counterattack.

The orc mage tries to light a mummy on fire, but ends up burning himself.

These three are embroiled im melee, no casualties.

A Dragon infantryman attacks a mummy and is killed by the counterattack.

Two Bull soldiers follow, but fail to kill.

The king kills the Dragon footsoldier who had been annoying him, and begins to fight the skeleton knight.

These guys keep hacking at each other. Nothing interesting, really.

As the Dragon wizard continues forward, the necromancer tries to put the Orc mage out. Reversing destruction just isn't his thing, though, so he sets himself on fire as well. Didn't their mothers ever tell them not to play with fire?

Mummies continue to fight back, one Scorpion knight is killed.

More mummies pour out of the pyramid. The wizards continue to burn.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 39
League: 24 (minus 1)
Mummies: 5

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Turn 9
The mummy furthest to the Imperial rear is killed by the Bear knight before the elf can strike. Enraged that he has been robbed of his kill, the elf sprints towards the enemy. Others follow.

What's he planning? Tune in next turn to find out!

As the phalanx advances the cavalry continues to fight. The general finally brings down the munted Dragon knight.

Perhaps with more sense than their human masters, the abandoned horses flee the carnage around them.

Another flying mummy goes down.

A lightning bolt from the Dragon wizard drops the Hoplite leader and a pikemand.

The orc wizard, alone, on fire, and caught in a hopeless situation, teleports out (I rolled for both him and necromancer to see if either would desert).

Mummies advance. Their priest raises his staff...

A wall detaches from the side of the pyramid and a sarcophogus slides out. What could be inside it? Jewels and treasure, hopefully...

Kill Count:
Imperials: 41
League: 27 (minus 1)

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Turn 10
The phalanx continues forward, tightening formation as it goes.

"Surprise!!!"

One peach is beheaded.

The elf attacks the enemy crossbowman, while the other peach is finished off by an Imperial crossbow bolt.

The king kills the last skeleton (and except for the horse it really is the last one, I promise) and moves forward, attempting a feat.
King: "Your army is defeated. Nothing more can be gained by killing one another. Let's ally against the mummies, then we will let your troops live once this is over."
Dragon Mage: "Okay, but any alliance is over after this battle."
ALLIANCE FORMED!

The general attacks a mummy. Shown are the damage roll (1d6+2) and the armor roll.

League troops move toward the mummies.

The last flying mummy is killed.

The necromancer tries to put himself out, but fails.

Mummies move out.

The sarcophogus creaks open...

...And out steps the mummy king.

Kill Count:
Imperials: 45
League: 28 (minus 1)

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Turn 11
A Bear knight claims an abandoned horse for his own and moves toward the fray.

As the Imperial troops mve up, the elf takes a shot at a mummy. He does not kill, however.

Imperial cavalry attacks, but no kills--those armor rolls are just too good.

The Bulls claim a mummy (perhaps I spoke too soon...).

The necromancer finally goes out. His armor is down to only 3 due to fire grinding (I'm using 2010 fire rules). He does not look happy!

The mummies continue their assault. One is killed by a Bull counterattack.

The mummy king advances. Oh my, are his hands on fire?

Kill Count:
Imperial: 46
League: 31(minus 1)

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Turn 12
Imperial troops advance. The Bear knight with the Hoplite spear is teleported into the phalanx.

The king kills a mummy. Other attacks are made, but all fail.

League forces attack. One mummy falls to a Bull. Off camera, the necromancer teleports his skeletal horse to himself and rides it toward the battle.

The mummy lights the Dragon wizard's horse on fire.

Other mummies attack. A bull is killed by poison bites and stings from snakes and a scorpion that were summoned by the preist. The general is felled by his attackers, seriously wounded but not yet dead. He's a hard man to kill.

Overwatch.

Kill Count:
Imperial: 46
League: 31 (minus 1)
Mummies: 7

The battle is almost over. The rest should be up by tomorrow.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:51 pm

things are getting intense! don't forget the back-stabbing bonus!

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Turn 13
The Bear knight attempts a charge, but a critical fail causes him to lose his lance. :spoil: He will play no more role in the battle. Other than moral support, I guess.

Attacks from the elf, crossbowman, musketeer, and king. No kills. The phalanx advances, desperate to get in on the action.

The Imperial wizard uses his magic to grant the phalanx double movement for next turn. Maybe they can finally get back in on the fight.

The Dragon wizard bails as his horse thrashes and burns to death.

General offensive by the League f-orces. The necromancer brings down one mummy.

The jackl-mummy and Bull soldier remain locked in melee. The priest brings the summoned vermin over to kill the [irony] Scorpion [/irony] knight. Bet you forgot about those, huh? Well, so did he, and look what it got him. The king uses a counterattack to behead hit mummy assailant.

This horse is flung across the battlefield by the mummy king's magik.

A clear challenge.

Kill Count:
Imperials: 46
League: 32 (minus 1)
Mummies: 8

-Valkyrie (the movie)

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Turn 14: THE FINAL TURN
Troops clear a path for the phalanx, the Bull soldier falling as he tries to disengage from the Anubian mummy. Still probably better than being stabbed in your front by your enemy and in the back by your "friends," I guess.

Aided by the Ipmerial wizard's action from the previous turn, the phalanx charges, killing the jackal mummy. It's down to the priest and the mummy king now.

A massive combined fire cuts the priest out of the equation. The snakes and scorpion he summoned die as well, but they are currently under the phalanx, and I'm not going to dig them out.

The din of battle grows quiet as the two kings face off. The other troops will not interfere.

The mummy king attacks swiftly (so swiftly all I caught was a blur), lighting Frederick on fire!

The kin of the Empire, despite being on fire, retaliates with a cut that wounds his adversary.

The mummy's magikal powers send the king flying across the battlefield.

He approaches his prone enemy. Is this the end?

No! King Frederick rolls over, impaling the mummy king.

Its creator now dead (again), the magic fire dies out, leaving the king a little singed but alive.

(Final) Kill Count:
Imperial: 48 and a half
League: 32 and a half (minus 1)
Mummies: 9

-Valkyrie (the movie)

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Called it! Any plans on making an epilogue?

Great battle.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Epilouge
King: "You have fought valiantly today. We will allow you to leave unharmed as I promised."
Dragon Mage: "Your troops fought bravely as well. I concede the victory to you."

DM: "Now."

The two remaining League wizards combine their powers...

...And the obelisk explodes!

DM: "If I can't have that power, no one can!"
Crossbowman: "Hey guys! Wait up! I don't have a horse! Wait for me!"

Imperial mage: "It's no use, your majesty. The power here is chaotic, ancient. Even with the obelisk intact to focus it, we couldn't have harnessed this power. I doubt anyone could. I reccomend we get out of here before the desert throws any more surprises our way. There's more under these sands than you or I can see."

King Frederick VI looked out over the slain. Though the pyramid's power had eluded them, the dead were not lost in vain. The League of Evil had moved into the open, and it had been resoundly beaten. It would take time for the Imperial levies to replace their heavy losses, but tit would take the League even longer to completely rebuild their army. The Empire had room to breathe.
While the King did not know what the future held for himself or his kingdom, he knew one thing for certain.
The Empire was going to war.

THE END

Overwatch of the dead. Notice the path the phalanx plowed through the bodies.

The Victors!

Well folks, the battle's over. I learned a few things.
6 ) I really need to name my characters. It would be much easier if they had names.
7 ) The phalanx was awesome, but near the end everone kept moving away from it. It needs to be deployed where the flanks are protected and the enemy can't evade it.
8 ) I need to try out the tenative 2010 magik rules. Magik in this battle was a mixture of improvised heroic feats and random dice rolling. It worked, but it could have been better.
9 ) BLOOD!!!
10 ) About midway through the battle, I realized that in some cases four members of the phalanx attacked one target, when the rules limit melee attackers to three. I offer my condolences to the families of any Viking or orc warroirs who died because this rule was not observed. Don't expect the Empire to send you any money though--you shouldn't have resisted in the first place. :twisted:

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed. I hope to post more battles in this setting sometime in the future.
Last edited by IX_Legion on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

RunsWithLegos
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by RunsWithLegos » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

magnificent battle mate!

IX_Legion
Minifig

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Zahru II wrote:Called it! Any plans on making an epilogue?

Great battle.
Thanks!

I believe I was typing the Epilogue as you posted this. My hope that no one would look at this thread until I was done apparently was in vain. Oh well.

-Valkyrie (the movie)

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 pm

'The League Of Evil', now that's an awesome-sounding name, I might have to revise my opinion 8)

Also, :sparta:
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Bragallot wrote:'The League Of Evil', now that's an awesome-sounding name, I might have to revise my opinion 8)

Also, :sparta:
The only better name would be "The League Of Super Evil"!