April 22 Brikwar @ Jersey: For the Horde!

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Re: April 22 Brikwar @ Jersey: For the Horde!

Post by Natalya » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Okay that's what I was guessing.

As for armour, I feel like the 2005 rules use of Structure Levels was an excellent way of working against having weak guns not have a good chance at being effective against stronger units, but combined fire let the weak units have a fighting chance. With this new armour thing, that problem is eliminated but it now brings into question the essential fairness of an inherently unfair force deployment.

For example, if I use my Spider Tank and say it is armoured, then if my opppnent has only a small squad of police officers with handguns, my tank can just roll into town and level the place without any fear of being harmed. Obviously that is how it would happen IRL unless the officers got the hatch open, but I worry about anoraks making some really crappy units be armoured even though they totally suck. But I guess it is hard to write a rule to protect against rules lawyers.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Nah, your Spider Tank would be easy, it has plenty of exposed joints that aren't armored. They'd just combine fire on the knees and take it out that way instead, or combined shove from one side to flip it over onto its back.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:16 am

I suppose they could flip it on its back for massive damage, but that seems unrealistic because of how wide its stance is and they would almost certainly be pushing against its legs since its default standing height keeps it well over the head of a minifig. As for joints, the legs have 6 points of articulation each, but three of those are completely encased by the armour, one isn't essential to proper locomotion, and the other two have armour blocking line of sight unless you are in a very dangerous spot. And even then if it is SL4 then that means the joint armour for the ones that are not completely buried by armour plating still get a 2d10 armour roll.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:23 am

Armored vehicles getting exposed armor at 2 levels lower is a pretty fair tradeoff.

And I have no problem with shitty units having armor - they're slow as fuck and become even shittier. No problem with that.

REAL-WORLD EXAMPLE: I played a 3 on 3 match (one hero each) against a friend of mine in which we each had one hero. On my team, I had two armored guys who ended up being waaaaay too slow to do anything - I had to use a heroic feat to give a guy an attack after standing back up and I'm pretty sure that was my only kill. My guys got slaughtered.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 am

I like the new "armored" rule. It means that the guy is nigh impossible to kill, and the damage of ten pistols do not combine. But! The more pistol shots, the more the change a six comes out on the skill roll, the bullet finds a gap in the armor and the armored fella can die. Alternatively, just squish him with something bigger than a size 1 weapon.
Holy shit...armored cavarly are a REAL threat now...
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 am

Killer Karetsu wrote:I like the new "armored" rule. It means that the guy is nigh impossible to kill, and the damage of ten pistols do not combine. But! The more pistol shots, the more the change a six comes out on the skill roll, the bullet finds a gap in the armor and the armored fella can die.
Alternatively (I suppose) just find a real gap in the armor and shoot for that. I.e. swing or shoot at the minifig's legs at a -2 since they aren't covered by armor pieces. Or shoot for the minifig's face at -2 assuming that they are wearing a hat or open-faced helmet.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders