Newbish n00b questions

A friendly place for friendly people where we all play nice and share.

Moderator: Colette

Forum rules
Play nice with n00bs in the New People threads. Save the abuse, trolling, and pr0n for everywhere else.

Newbish n00b questions

Postby Kirillyos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Greeting fellow Brikwarriors. I'm new on this forum, and I have a couple of questions...

6) What is the most commonly-used version of the rules (2001, 2005, or 2010) around here? If I'm gonna be posting custom stats, I want to make them in a format that's gonna be the most used/appreciated by the Brikwars community.

7) How compatible are the different version with each other? I noticed some major differences with things like big MOC weapons and troop types, but I was wondering how much of the old-version material works with the new rules.
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)
TROLOLO
Kirillyos
Officer

Re: Newbish n00b questions

Postby Zupponn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Kirillyos wrote:Greeting fellow Brikwarriors. I'm new on this forum, and I have a couple of questions...

And hopefully I can provide some answers.
Kirillyos wrote:6) What is the most commonly-used version of the rules (2001, 2005, or 2010) around here? If I'm gonna be posting custom stats, I want to make them in a format that's gonna be the most used/appreciated by the Brikwars community.

I don't think that anyone really uses the 2001 rules anymore, except for references when coming up with custom stats or homebrew rules. The 2005 rules are currently the 'current' ones, but most people on here are using what we have of the 2010 rules so far. Be warned though, 2010 rules can change at a moment's notice. So, if you're going to come up with custom stats, my suggestion would be to take a look at both the 2005 and 2010 rules. Use what you can from 2010 and fill in what's missing from 2005 (both rulesets are very similar). Also, if you don't like what you came up with, saying "fuck it" and trying out your own stuff is always a highly appreciated and respected option.
Kirillyos wrote:7) How compatible are the different version with each other? I noticed some major differences with things like big MOC weapons and troop types, but I was wondering how much of the old-version material works with the new rules.

The 2001 rules are pretty much from Mike's time of penisy and dickplopery. Ignore them when possible, as they are too complicated for any brikwarrior to truly understand. It is something that can be used for referencing though, and there are some cool things in there, so it might be worth skimming once or twice for ideas and inspiration. The 2005 and 2010 rules are very similar and most of the basics have remained the same between both iterations. The biggest things Mike has been working on in the new rules have been both the simplification of them where he can and the addition of things that could possibly make the game more fun and chaotic. In truth, many people on the forums ignore them or have only ever gotten through about half of the rules before getting bored, so most of us use at least some sort of house rules when conducting a battle. In short, we all basically do whatever the hell we want, because having fun is all that matters.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Kirillyos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Thank you - that was a well-structured response that answered my question.

I noticed in looking at the different versions that v2010 was basically v2005.5 and v2001 was kinda like GURPS with LEGO.

One more nebish question: does anyone use Tek Levels anymore, or is it just a stylistic thing now?
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)
TROLOLO
Kirillyos
Officer

Postby Apollyon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Kirillyos wrote:One more nebish question: does anyone use Tek Levels anymore, or is it just a stylistic thing now?

Tek levels are useful for describing how advanced a faction is but i don't think anyone here uses them in such a way that they have influence on the game mechanics and stats.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby pkbrennan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Tek Levels seem to be used more as a shorthand for what you are likely to come up against in a battle. Many of us use descriptive text to describe things in a more flavourful way, and just use "Tek Level" as a rule of thumb or ready reckoner.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."
pkbrennan
Cannon Fodder

Postby Kirillyos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks guys.
TROLOLO
Kirillyos
Officer

Return to New People Start Here