Building and writing block

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

Re: Building and writing block

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 am

Yes, agreed. There is always more to learn about anything and the day we no longer have any room to grow is the day we should die.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby mgb519 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Well. I'll say that when writing, don't look at things as whether you fail or succeed, but rather as a sliding scale to move along per piece. What I take from calling myself a good writer is that I write without fear of writing shit. This is not because everything I write is perfect: I have NEVER written something which I didn't improve based on people's input. NEVER.
When I didn't mention getting input, it was because I had the impression that you were having trouble getting other people to give you input. It was my suggestion as an alternative. But Stubby is right, and you should stop looking around for people to give you input. You don't have to always listen to them: you may have differing opinions on how a piece needs to be. But you should always seriously weigh in and consider their advice in terms of whether you feel that it will improve your piece, and whether the original or the changed version is better in you opinion.
When Keldoclock tells me something, I don't generally read it as "you wrote bad," but as "here's how you might write it better."
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Also agreed. Constructive criticism is wonderful and, as a creator, you should learn to recognize it. Also, for the record, my comments weren't directed at mgb. Why, just the other day, I saw him in the chat asking all of us for advice on his cyberpunk story. They were of a more general nature.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby mgb519 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Well that would be my ego kicking in just now. Whenever I feel like I write or say something where I made a mistake of some kind, I feel obligated to point it out so that I can acknowledge that I'm aware of it already. I'm only human, after all, as shown by both my mistakes and my internal need to keep them identified as mistakes that I have already learned from rather than part of my being. And of course, that's a contradiction in itself, since I haven't learned to not do that.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Perfectly natural. In a funny twist, I often overthink the things I write, during and after the fact. So I was just covering my bases. I actually hadn't gotten the impression that you were being defensive.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:35 pm

just start a huge project, something like the planet express building but minifig scale. at least don't sell all your lego like everyone else that goes into a dark age. If your friends make fun of one of you hobbies, they aren't real friends. For writing, look up prompts and base your stuff off of that, until you can think of your own topics.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Silverdream » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Your friends are going to be immature, but don't get rid of them right away.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Silverdream wrote:Your friends are going to be immature, but don't get rid of them right away.

A lenient stance. Christ, he's probably right. Sigh, yes, be the bigger person and don't cut ties with someone for a momentary lapse in decency. We're all guilty of it at some point or another.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Colette » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:For writing, look up prompts and base your stuff off of that, until you can think of your own topics.

OK, here's a prompt for alpha: Write about your faction's first encounter with the rest of the brikverse, then after it is somewhat complete post it here for us to read.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Tzan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Colette wrote:OK, here's a prompt for alpha: Write about your faction's first encounter with the rest of the brikverse, then after it is somewhat complete post it here for us to read.

"It was a dark and stormy night..."
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Zupponn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 am

One bright day
in the middle of the night,
two dead boys stood up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
drew their swords and shot each other.
The deaf policemen heard the noise
and shot the two dead boys.
If you don't believe that my tale is true,
ask the blind man.
She saw it too.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby mgb519 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:44 am

I swear, I remember this poem, but I don't. My first thought is Larry Levine. Wrong?
Tzan wrote:

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 am

mgb519 wrote:I swear, I remember this poem, but I don't. My first thought is Larry Levine. Wrong?

Wrong, it's an old unattributed poem. A longer version goes like this:

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps,
I stand before you and sit behind you
to tell you something I know nothing about!
Admission is free, you must pay at the door;
So pull up a chair and sit on the floor.
The show is over, but before you go,
let me tell you a story I don't really know :

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Insert_blank » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm totally down to help critique anyone's work. I majored in Literature with a minor in Creative Writing in university so I imagine I can help. You can just pm me whatever and I'll look at it when I get the chance.

I think someone already said it but it's really helpful to have a friend or two read your work. Especially if they like to write too. You can make an editing circle which helped me a lot when I was younger. Of course this is coming from the guy who's had an idea for a book for 5 years, written the first chapter 3 times and is still unable to make it work.

EDIT: If you still have a block what I usually do is find a good TV show or book and read it then think about what you liked about it. That's usually enough to get me back into the mindset.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby Bragallot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Just write, you can always change it and improve it later.

If you don't have inspiration, do things that interest you and that you enjoy. Inspiration can come from a lot of different things, but being idle isn't one of them.

Generally getting feedback is a good thing, too.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Previous

Return to Advice