Embarrassing History Paper Advice

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

Embarrassing History Paper Advice

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:49 am

When you're putting footnotes in a paper, are you supposed to only cite a source once per every page it's listed on or do you have to cite it for every quote?

For example, say this is all from the same source:

Colette is asexual. He once said "I have no sexual attraction to males or females whatsoever." In 2007, he killed his sensei in a duel and married a Jewish lawyer.

His quote is on page 45 of Scientific American, and the information (that's not public knowledge) about him marrying a Jewish lawyer and killing his sensei are on pages 59 and 60. On this page of my paper would I cite it once as:  Scientific American no. 1 issue 10 1994: pages 45-60 or would I cite it multiple times, once for the quote and once for the unknown information?

Spoiler: show
Bragallot wrote:Just ask Silverdream. He decides what's true and right, and what someone said or meant at some point, even if they didn't. Clearly he is the most suitable person for fixing this mess.
Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Re: Embarrassing History Paper Advice

Postby Colette » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Silverdream wrote:When you're putting footnotes in a paper, are you supposed to only cite a source once per every page it's listed on or do you have to cite it for every quote?

For example, say this is all from the same source:

Colette is asexual. He once said "I have no sexual attraction to males or females whatsoever." In 2007, he killed his sensei in a duel and married a Jewish lawyer.

His quote is on page 45 of Scientific American, and the information (that's not public knowledge) about him marrying a Jewish lawyer and killing his sensei are on pages 59 and 60. On this page of my paper would I cite it once as:  Scientific American no. 1 issue 10 1994: pages 45-60 or would I cite it multiple times, once for the quote and once for the unknown information?

What convention are you using, as I would think that would affect the answer to your question. I would assume MLA, since this is a history paper.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah, MLA.

Bragallot wrote:Just ask Silverdream. He decides what's true and right, and what someone said or meant at some point, even if they didn't. Clearly he is the most suitable person for fixing this mess.
Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby Tzan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm

:yuno: understand?

Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I meant Chicago Style. I have no idea why I wrote MLA last night.

Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby stubby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Repeat references is why Chicago Jesus invented ibid. In this case: Ibid., pp. 59-60.

http://libguides.radford.edu/content.ph ... sid=558025
Natalya wrote:What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how banned you are.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:26 pm

stubby wrote:Repeat references is why Chicago Jesus invented ibid. In this case: Ibid., pp. 59-60.

http://libguides.radford.edu/content.ph ... sid=558025

Thank you so much. I owe you my life for this.

Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby Arkbrik » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Harvard master race (Arkbrik, 2013)

Arkbrik (2013) Re: Embarrassing History Paper Advice. BrikWars Forum. Available online: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11636&p=264899#p264899 [Retrieved 13.12.03].
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Return to Advice