Job hunting advice

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

Job hunting advice

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:44 pm

So, I've been trying to get a job for the past couple weeks, and have mentioned so in various "I'd love to post my full army but I'm broke" posts. I've been filling out applications at every store within about 10-15 miles of my house, and so far I've only gotten a handful of interviews and no offers. My marketable skills are somewhat lacking, as I'm only partly through my degree and can't get jobs in the field. Does anyone have some advice about something else I can do or try?
"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Job hunting advice

Postby Silverdream » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Sell blood or bone marrow.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby Brikguy0410 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I heard drug dealing makes tons of cash
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Kommander Ken » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 pm

When you said everything within 10-15 miles, are you including fast-food or any chain restaurants? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be hiring, unless they only hire during certain times of the year.
Frostborne Cometh : Chapter One / Chapter Two / The Tribe
Kommander Ken
Minifig

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Kommander Ken wrote:When you said everything within 10-15 miles, are you including fast-food or any chain restaurants? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be hiring, unless they only hire during certain times of the year.

Those are really the only places that I can apply for, since I don't yet have the education for much else. And they are hiring, the issue is that they just don't want to hire me.
"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Kommander Ken wrote:When you said everything within 10-15 miles, are you including fast-food or any chain restaurants? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be hiring, unless they only hire during certain times of the year.

Those are really the only places that I can apply for, since I don't yet have the education for much else. And they are hiring, the issue is that they just don't want to hire me.

Shit, you can't get a fast food job? First you fail college, now this? You might just be stupid, and if you're stupid enough, you might be able to get welfare for mental retardation. There's hope for you yet!
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:00 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:

Shit, you can't get a fast food job? First you fail college, now this? You might just be stupid, and if you're stupid enough, you might be able to get welfare for mental retardation. There's hope for you yet!

I'm actually doing pretty well in college now. And I've only been rejected in interviews twice, and one of those times was because I made a (in hindsight) avoidable mistake, and in the other one, I don't know what the issue was. I generally do ok with interviews, it's getting to that point that's tricky.
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Silverdream » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:Shit, you can't get a fast food job? First you fail college, now this? You might just be stupid, and if you're stupid enough, you might be able to get welfare for mental retardation. There's hope for you yet!

You are such a giant piece of shit. Go fuck off.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Maximus, I'm Dying

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:I'm actually doing pretty well in college now. And I've only been rejected in interviews twice, and one of those times was because I made a (in hindsight) avoidable mistake, and in the other one, I don't know what the issue was. I generally do ok with interviews, it's getting to that point that's tricky.

Snide asshole comments from earlier aside, what did you screw up in the interviews? Unless it was a really big deal (forgetting to fill out a job application) I can't imagine you not being able to get work in a fast food chain. In that vein, you should probably look for work as a garbage man. It's actually very well paying work, I think some trash men make around $30 an hour.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:I'm actually doing pretty well in college now. And I've only been rejected in interviews twice, and one of those times was because I made a (in hindsight) avoidable mistake, and in the other one, I don't know what the issue was. I generally do ok with interviews, it's getting to that point that's tricky.

Snide asshole comments from earlier aside, what did you screw up in the interviews? Unless it was a really big deal (forgetting to fill out a job application) I can't imagine you not being able to get work in a fast food chain. In that vein, you should probably look for work as a garbage man. It's actually very well paying work, I think some trash men make around $30 an hour.

I'll look into the garbage thing, though I have a feeling that it might not work out given my schedule and transportation logistics. The interview I botched was at chick-fil-a, when they asked me what I did on the weekends. What they were apparently looking for was something along the lines of "I go to church", however I didn't mention that, as I'd felt the fact the I was A) applying to chick-fil-a and B) in the bible belt, leave my religious beliefs rather obvious.

As it turns out, that was not the right move.
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

That's a tricky situation. You can't really lie about it either.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Brikguy0410 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Zupponn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 am

Try a warehousing job. They require some physical labor, but usually pay fairly well.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

Zupponn wrote:Try a warehousing job. They require some physical labor, but usually pay fairly well.

I could handle that, most of my first job involved hauling heavy crap from place to place. Not sure if there any distribution centers or whatnot in my area though, when I worked in walmart they mentioned the supply trucks had a to come a long way to get there.
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Itxi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:43 am

When I was unemployed for two years I took up volunteering. They're much more open to new people and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a job since it gives you something to talk about on CVs and in interviews.
Itxi
Hero

Next

Return to Advice