My drum player is annoying often

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

My drum player is annoying often

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:47 pm

I am in a band as you probably know, and the band's bassist/guitarist/drummer (in a live performance, he would play drums) is getting really annoying.

As you can tell, he has a lot of skills. He knows how to play guitar, drums and bass and usually gets condescending whenever recording music, usually at the expense of everyone else. Today, I got to my breaking point. We were recording a song he "wrote" (it's more or less a 100% clone of La Grange by ZZ Top) and while we were recording he kept telling me I needed to do it on the off-beat. I told him he should re-arrange it to be on the on-beat simply because if it's easier it's better for a live performance. He wouldn't have it and whenever he talked to me the rest of the day, he did it in an extremely condescending tone. I will admit he was right when he told me I needed to play in time, but this is just ridiculous.

Also, he owns a Crate amp. I don't know what model it is specifically, but it has terribly feedback and hisses all the time, not to mention it is incredibly synthetic sounding and it is way too fucking loud. He also owns a Berhinger pedal, which is also terrible. How do I secretly pawn these items and make it look like it isn't my fault?
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Re: My drum player is annoying often

Postby Silverdream » Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 pm

6. Dress up like a girl.
7. Seduce drummer, become boyfriend and girlfriend.
8. After several months, pretend to get pregnant. Make him sell his stuff so you can afford to visit another state for an abortion, or to find adoptive parents.
9. Pull off wig, make him look like idiot.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Zupponn » Mon May 12, 2014 1:28 am

You should listen to Silva. He has experience with this kind of stuff.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Nimja » Tue May 13, 2014 11:51 am

Take him to one side, and explain to him that he is pissing off the band, and despite his skills, no single person in the band is important-anyone is replaceable.Explain to him what it is that is pissing you off, and explain that If he does not stop being condescending and uncomfortable to be around, the band could let him go.The trick Is not to do this violently. do it calmly.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby The Shadowscythe » Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Penetrate him.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby IVhorseman » Tue May 13, 2014 1:07 pm

If the equipment sucks, bring your own. If you don't have enough equipment to spare then be glad he's got anything at all.

Multi-instrumentalists are pretty much your grade A example of a douchebag (see also: Trent Reznor), and unless their name is Dave (Grohl, Bowie) they're going to be a colossal dick about it no matter what. Telling someone like this that something would be "easier" for any reason whatsoever, to them, is equivalent to admitting that you suck to hard to match his glorious vision. I for one think simple music is the best so long as you're playing your heart out, but this guy sounds like the pretentious type that only listens to songs with 45:678 time signatures or some shit.

Wait hold up, the problem with the amp is that it's too loud? I thought you liked metal? Crank it to 11 and stop being a bitch.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Silent-sigfig » Tue May 13, 2014 1:53 pm

IVhorseman wrote: I thought you liked metal?

Well there's your first problem.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby loafofcheese » Tue May 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Solution, while it might be a bit silly; buy a TR-808, I mean, you don't get the same quality of an actual kit, but a drum machine can be programmed to just about anything.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Dimmy

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:45 pm

IVhorseman wrote:If the equipment sucks, bring your own. If you don't have enough equipment to spare then be glad he's got anything at all.

This is true.
IVhorseman wrote:Multi-instrumentalists are pretty much your grade A example of a douchebag (see also: Trent Reznor), and unless their name is Dave (Grohl, Bowie) they're going to be a colossal dick about it no matter what. Telling someone like this that something would be "easier" for any reason whatsoever, to them, is equivalent to admitting that you suck to hard to match his glorious vision. I for one think simple music is the best so long as you're playing your heart out, but this guy sounds like the pretentious type that only listens to songs with 45:678 time signatures or some shit.

But his name IS DAVE!!!

IVhorseman wrote:Wait hold up, the problem with the amp is that it's too loud? I thought you liked metal? Crank it to 11 and stop being a bitch.

Yeah, but his amp's low is everyone else's high. Also, when he plays on the amp it makes the snares rattle, which is really annoying after a few minutes.
loafofcheese wrote:Solution, while it might be a bit silly; buy a TR-808, I mean, you don't get the same quality of an actual kit, but a drum machine can be programmed to just about anything.

The band has no money, and we also want a real drummer.
Nimja wrote:Take him to one side, and explain to him that he is pissing off the band, and despite his skills, no single person in the band is important-anyone is replaceable.Explain to him what it is that is pissing you off, and explain that If he does not stop being condescending and uncomfortable to be around, the band could let him go.The trick Is not to do this violently. do it calmly.

Wow- Nimja gives the best advise in the thread. Good job, I guess this calls for a band intervention this Friday.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 am

samuelzz10 wrote:Wow- Nimja gives the best advise in the threadanswer I wanted to hear and have someone reinforce my previously held beliefs. Good job, I guess this calls for a band intervention this Friday.

:ftfy:

Anyways, his name is Dave so science demands that he's right. No exceptions.
IVhorseman

Postby Tzan » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 am

IVhorseman wrote:Anyways, his name is Dave so science demands that he's right. No exceptions.

That's actually true.
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

It sounds like he's just better than you. You should pull him aside and explain that he should be looking for other musicians who match his skill level, and ask if he knows any shittier drummers who are closer to yours.

If all else fails, ask if he'll consider Reznoring out and just overdubbing all his own parts in protools.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Zupponn » Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Or he could do like Dethklok and have him record everything, sort of like Skwisgaar does for Toki and Murderface.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:24 pm

stubby wrote:If all else fails, ask if he'll consider Reznoring out and just overdubbing all his own parts in protools.

Whenever he gets tired of me "being shitty" he just goes home and records it all himself, so this is already a reality on the songs he writes.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:27 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:Wow- Nimja gives the best advise in the threadanswer I wanted to hear and have someone reinforce my previously held beliefs. Good job, I guess this calls for a band intervention this Friday.

:ftfy:

Anyways, his name is Dave so science demands that he's right. No exceptions.

I wont act like there isn't any truth in that, but I am looking for legitimate answers too. Him doing everything isn't OK, it's the difference between actually being in a band and being Devon Townsend.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Next

Return to Advice