What level of maths should I do?

Jesus Christ, guys. No one cares about your fucking problems.
This forum is also known as Thunderdumb Lite or Applied Thunderdumb.

Moderator: dilanski

What level of maths should I do?

Postby loafofcheese » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:15 am

I'm currently in the process of deciding my year 11/12 subjects for the end of my secondary schooling, and I have a good idea of what I want to do, I would like some further advice though. I want to do the highest level of maths that doesn't extend outside of normal school hours, but my teachers and parents say I should do an extension course, which should I do?
My current selection:
Advanced English (The highest level of 2 unit English)
Physics (I'm in the top 5% of science students in my year)
Chemistry
Italian continuers (there are two levels of Italian, Italian beginners for people starting Italian in year 11, and continuers for people who started in year 9)
Modern History (I got 1st in my year for history)
Mathematics (the highest level of 2 unit maths)
Each of these subjects are two units, but an extension course runs before and after school and counts as an extra unit on top of the existing two. I.E. Extension maths requires mathematics and counts as 3 units.

So, which should I do? Any changes that could be made?
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
User avatar
loafofcheese
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:44 am
Location: Maitland, NSW

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby ikensall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:04 am

Your courses are a bit foreign to me (both literally and metaphorically), I don't know what hours you are in school for (you could get home at 4:30pm or 7pm), and on top of that I am in the same position in you, and have yet to experience year 11/12 (or A-levels, as we call them). However, they've been throwing A-level advice at us -sometimes literally- at my school for some years now, so here's what I would say:

6. If you're going to take extra lessons then you need to make sure that you will still have time to meet commitments; outside of school and more-so in your other subjects (where the demands will be greater than before).

7. Make sure that it is definitely worth your while doing extra maths for what you want to go on to do, because otherwise it might not be worth doing it (to the possible detriment of other subjects).

8. When you reach a decision you need to be sure that it is one that you have come to/ agree with, because it will be relevant for a long time and so if you fuck it up you can be sure that you fucked yourself over, rather being bitter because you think someone else fucked you over.

9. As a result of point 8, point 6 and point 7 are now somewhat irrelevant.
User avatar
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am
Location: England

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Colette » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm

I got excited when I saw the topic but then I realized your education system uses foreign math levels. I'm sorry I can't help, aside from "take the highest level you can, all else in the world be damned".
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Apollyon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 pm

If you want to study science or something science related later on i recommend to learn as much math as you can in school. You don't want to learn everything you could already have learned in school while you are bogged down with you chosen subject already.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
User avatar
Apollyon
constantly striving to using proper grammar
 
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:14 am
Location: I am in Berlin bitch!

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby loafofcheese » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:15 am

Groovy, I'll stick with my current idea.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
User avatar
loafofcheese
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:44 am
Location: Maitland, NSW

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:52 pm

6. Study what you know unis will like
7. Get into a good unis.
8. Piss about for 4 years.
9. Graduate uni into a bad job market.
10. ???
11. Die old and alone.
Image
"cut the man some slack when ur that dapper u never know when suprise dicks will show up gotta be ready 34/7" -Nimja
User avatar
Insert_blank
Senior East Asian Correspondent
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: China

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Step 1)Take the same math class 3 years in a row
Step 2)Fail it every time
Step 3)Become me
Step 4)Shitpost on internet forums
Image
"cut the man some slack when ur that dapper u never know when suprise dicks will show up gotta be ready 34/7" -Vami_IV
User avatar
Overwatch_Elite
piss
piss
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:31 pm
Location: piss

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Zupponn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 am

Overwatch_Elite wrote:Step 1)Take the same math class 3 years in a row
Step 2)Fail it every time
Step 3)Become me
Step 4)Shitpost on internet forums

Step 6 - Enter Brikwars
Step 7 - Learn2List
Step 8 - Win
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
make the gun larger to fit the barrel
make the gun larger to fit the barrel
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby TheSovietNinjaWaffle » Wed May 27, 2015 12:03 am

Well, this is a year-old post, but I'll go ahead and point out that you spelled "math" wrong.
Oh wait? That's a British thing?
Image
User avatar
TheSovietNinjaWaffle
Champion
Champion
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:14 pm
Location: Sadisom, Amabala

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Quadruple.Digits » Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 am

TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:Well, this is a year-old post, but I'll go ahead and point out that you spelled "math" wrong.
Oh wait? That's a British thing?

Nah. 'Straya, mate. That's how we say it down under.
Quantumsurfer wrote:We are brikwarsian moral failures.
User avatar
Quadruple.Digits
Officer
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby TheSovietNinjaWaffle » Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 am

Quadruple.Digits wrote:
TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:Well, this is a year-old post, but I'll go ahead and point out that you spelled "math" wrong.
Oh wait? That's a British thing?

Nah. 'Straya, mate. That's how we say it down under.

Oops, sorry. Don't know much about British/Australian English.
Image
User avatar
TheSovietNinjaWaffle
Champion
Champion
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 9:14 pm
Location: Sadisom, Amabala

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby Quadruple.Digits » Wed May 27, 2015 12:38 am

TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:
Quadruple.Digits wrote:
TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:Well, this is a year-old post, but I'll go ahead and point out that you spelled "math" wrong.
Oh wait? That's a British thing?

Nah. 'Straya, mate. That's how we say it down under.

Oops, sorry. Don't know much about British/Australian English.

Well I'm going to hold it against you anyway in a completely unreasonable and uptight manner. How dare you, who do you think you are, racist prick, etc etc etc.
Quantumsurfer wrote:We are brikwarsian moral failures.
User avatar
Quadruple.Digits
Officer
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby M220 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:15 am

Quadruple.Digits wrote:
TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:
Quadruple.Digits wrote:
TheSovietNinjaWaffle wrote:Well, this is a year-old post, but I'll go ahead and point out that you spelled "math" wrong.
Oh wait? That's a British thing?

Nah. 'Straya, mate. That's how we say it down under.

Oops, sorry. Don't know much about British/Australian English.

Well I'm going to hold it against you anyway in a completely unreasonable and uptight manner. How dare you, who do you think you are, racist prick, etc etc etc.


Please, this is 'Straya. Half the people around the world (Like in the US of A) don't know where it is, let alone be bothered knowing the way we spell.
Mnds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
User avatar
M220
Minifig
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What level of maths should I do?

Postby stubby » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 am

Quadruple.Digits wrote:Well I'm going to hold it against you anyway in a completely unreasonable and uptight manner. How dare you, who do you think you are, racist prick, etc etc etc.

:tiger:  :guinness:

M220 wrote:Please, this is 'Straya. Half the people around the world (Like in the US of A) don't know where it is, let alone be bothered knowing the way we spell.

:wtc:  :sbr:
Natalya wrote:What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how banned you are.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm


Return to Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Apollyon and 1 guest