MiniBattles

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

MiniBattles

Postby Gladius » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:28 am

Hey All,

I've had 3 recent brikwars battles with my brother, all in the same vein. I make a scenario-based battlefield on just ONE of those large 48x48 light grey/bley baseplates, and then two armies of 8-12 people, and twice one side has had a catapult/wagon. It can get a bit cramped but guarantees constant action.

Then I work out a points-based system like the one Mike featured about the NELUG Colonialists battle. I've tried to make sure that, even if all of your troops are eliminated, there is a chance you can win if you have fulfilled enough other goals.

The most recent was a battle between my knights and his undead. I was holed up in a castle, with a civilian lying in bed (my 'king'). He had a catapult, and got to go first because he was the attacking side. My brother got 1 point for each of my units he killed, 2 units for capturing a treasure chest in my castle, and 3 points for killing my 'king.'

I got 1 point for each of his regular units killed, 2 points for capturing the catapult, and 3 points for killing his leader, the necromancer, who had the ability to turn my dead units into more skeletons. In the end, I killed all but two of his skeletons, one still manning the catapult, so I didn't get those points, and he won the game.

So Anyway... I just want to know your thoughts on these small-scale battles, and if you have any scenario ideas, please tell! I'm planning a battle in the desert with two wagons and an oasis. I'll get pictures of the battlefield(s) up soon.
TROLOLO
Gladius
Champion
Champion

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:20 pm

points systems are neat sometimes!

as for other scenarios, objective-based battles can be incredibly fun. rather than having to kill eachother being the only way to win, but you could also make it a competition of capturing certain objects like briefcases or flags, or you could make a crystal or computer or something that one team must defend and the other destroy. also, jailbreaks!
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby piltogg » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:24 pm

ha that just gave me an Idea what iv you played o capture the flag game for brikwars (yes I know its been done already) but there is a "jail" were minnifigs go when they die.. but they can get jailbreaked just like in real
capture the flag. this way a small game can go on untill all players on one side die. Way more destruction than actual cap the flag games...
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby kidko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Interesting. I'd award more points for the objectives (if that's what you're focused on) as opposed to the minifig kills.

And briefcases? That brings up an interesting idea... anybody watch the last season of 24 and their "snukes"? They're nukes in a suitcase... maybe there could be two teams: one trying to recover the snukes, and another trying to blow them up. Getting one back in one piece would be worth more points, since it's harder, and the team with the most points wins (h'dur).
kidko
Officer

Postby blackwing77 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I shall try to make a level on one of those big grey base plates
TROLOLO
blackwing77
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm

kidko wrote:"snukes"

oh god. i want to tell you what a snuke actually is, but... it'd ruin the fun
IVhorseman

Postby Foggy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:27 pm

I like this.
1 point per kill.
2 points for capturing something of value.
3 points for killing the primary enemy character.

Simple, yet effective.
It could easily be the bane of Necro players everywhere, though.
Kill, point, rez, repeat.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee
TROLOLO
Foggy
Officer

Postby Tzan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
kidko wrote:"snukes"

oh god. i want to tell you what a snuke actually is, but... it'd ruin the fun

Yeah I read that earlier and decided to pass on making a comment :)
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby piltogg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Foggy wrote:I like this.
1 point per kill.
2 points for capturing something of value.
3 points for killing the primary enemy character.

Simple, yet effective.
It could easily be the bane of Necro players everywhere, though.
Kill, point, rez, repeat.

what do necro-players play anyway?? (i am dumm)
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby brik war hero » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:08 pm

ah yes i also agree with piltogg.. he has a good system of battling in the wars of brikk.
TROLOLO
brik war hero
God of BrikWars

Postby Almighty Benny » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:49 pm

piltogg wrote:ha that just gave me an Idea what iv you played o capture the flag game for brikwars (yes I know its been done already) but there is a "jail" were minnifigs go when they die.. but they can get jailbreaked just like in real
capture the flag. this way a small game can go on untill all players on one side die. Way more destruction than actual cap the flag games...

You can play that way if you want, but my armies don't take prisoners.

This is really only a very small variation on an ordinary capture the flag game with respawns, the only difference is that less minifigs die. :(

I kind of agree with Kidko that if you're going to play with a point system, the point distribution should fall more heavily on the hardest objective.

I'm thinking:
5 points for complete elimination of the enemy army
3 points for each capture of the enemy flag/briefcase
1 point for minor goals (eg. killing the enemy hero in a game with respawns)

Of course, if you played a game with respawns you couldn't completely eliminate the enemy army. In that case you could just say that Hillary Clinton shows up to congratulate the first team to earn 15 points and her snuke goes off, ending the game.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor
Galidor

Postby tahthing » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 pm

I've tried some defend the vip games but with small scale games its al too easy to use artillary to blow the defenders to bits.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby silvadream » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm

hahahahahahahahahaha snukes
silvadream
Cannon Fodder

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:49 am

Silvadream?! I thought you forgot about this board!

Great...
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Jaye Tea » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 pm

ha silva nice title
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!
Jaye Tea
Officer

Next

Return to Battle Organization