New Development in the San Diego Front!

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

Professor Fairfield
Hero

New Development in the San Diego Front!

Post by Professor Fairfield » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Will this topic be derailed and locked, too? Probably not, because it will more likely die from lack of any follow-up. However, let's assume the best case scenario and get to the news.

Another person has contacted me on College Confidential, and he wants to play Brikwars in San Diego. This guy is more promising; he has wargaming experience, has read the rulebook of Brikwars, and found my topic by deliberately searching for Brikwars players (or aspiring players) in San Diego. Even better, he's an actual adult-fan-of-Legos, and no, I don't mean "finally-able-to-buy-booze" adult, I mean "thirty, married, and-with-his-own-house" adult. He would probably allow IVHorseman and me to keep our collections at his house and build up stuff there, and he also has a lot of his own Legos. At the very least, he could be the start of a true San Diego LUG. (The existing SanLug has no members actually living here.)

Unfortunately, there's also some bad news. I am probably going to be moving away from the San Diego area this Summer. The fact is that, as I've said, the people of UCSD are anal, stuffy, joyless scholars, even by my own standards, and they haven't helped the cause of BW, so I want out of this institution. My hopes, though, are that I will at least be able to start a BW group down here before leaving, as something by which the community will remember me. It seems a good way to go out, seeing as a Legoland is down here, and we're almost certainly bound to find some other recruits if we become well-known.

Stay posted, and hopefully we'll have some developments this Summer.
The difference between Autism and Optimism? Autism is a mental disorder; Optimism is a SEVERE one.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Woah crap, I'd love to brikwar with this guy.

Unfortunately, I think I'll be keeping my collection at my house. I'll be renting my own place in about a year, and I'm paranoid about keeping my stuff at someone else's place. I've figured out how to transport stuff better though, so that's a plus.

Professor Fairfield
Hero

Post by Professor Fairfield » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Indeed it is. You'll have to tell my brother and me how, as well, although if you have enough room for our collections too at that new place you're renting, it would be nice to keep them there.

The main problem for my brother and me is how to transport MOCs without breaking them. Since we probably won't be living at San Diego, it would be a dud if we had to spend most of our time just assembling things, with no time to actually play the game.
The difference between Autism and Optimism? Autism is a mental disorder; Optimism is a SEVERE one.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 am

Well as to transporting your army for the small lego figs id suggest a gun/rifle case lined with egg carton foam. as to vehicles, 1 built sturdy 2 don't have to many breakable parts on the outside 3 seal a standard letter boxs' interior with cellophane tape so you don't lose any small parts. or you can go professional and get customizable army foam trays from your local game store. it all depends on how much your storing and how much time you want to spend setting up taking down.
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas