BrikWars interest in Philadelphia, PA? (Serious potential)

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

redcapscorner
Champion
Champion

BrikWars interest in Philadelphia, PA? (Serious potential)

Post by redcapscorner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Hello! I own a hobby game shop in Philadelphia, PA called Redcap's Corner. I'm strongly considering running BrikWars events here at the shop, where we can seat over 80 people and can dedicate resources to having terrain available if there's enough interest in the game. I'm also planning to carry LEGO and COBI minifigure lines, as well as accessories from companies like BrickArms, in the store to support the game. Would this be of interest to anybody? It has taken a phenomenal amount of research thus far to figure out how I can actually get these products (since we're a game shop, not a toy shop, and don't have the space or resources to carry full LEGO lines), but I'm freshly returned from Toy Fair with the information I believe I need, and the next step is to see if there's any interest.

Do you play BrikWars? Do you want to begin playing BrikWars? Do you live in or near Philadelphia and see yourself coming out for tournaments and/or open play? Please let me know! I'm unbelievably excited about these prospects, but I need to know there are other people out there who will help make this a reality!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Hey Redcap, welcome to the forum.

I am a brikwars player from Princeton, NJ and (as I mentioned in the other thread) make frequent trips to Philadelphia on the weekends. If you end up carrying BA or BF products, you'll likely see some business from me, but not anything overly reliable. Graduate students lack disposable income.

I have two forces at the moment (medieval and sci fi) and would support tournament/open play. That is, as long as both are light-hearted, sans rule-mongering, etc. I have little desire to play against opponents (and the regular gaming community is full of them, as you know) who are anal-retentive Spikes and cannot see the irony of playing with plastic.

PM me if you'd like to start chatting at length about possibilities.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Redcap, I believe you have what we need, as I believe you have seen from the Ragnoblok thread. Sounds like it's worth a trip- do you have many regular players?
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm in, I live in MD so this is close enough to bully my parents into taking me to
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

OREMAWESOME1234
Cannon Fodder

Post by OREMAWESOME1234 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Cpl. Halan wrote:I'm in
same here.

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:11 pm

I would be interested kinda Im in new york and I am 15 so I may be able to occasionally make a trip with bus or parents.

I think that either way it would be a good idea to try people love legos and even if they didn't know about it people soon would.

redcapscorner
Champion
Champion

Post by redcapscorner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:10 pm

As long as your parents are cool with it, the China Town bus is pretty inexpensive ($20 round trip or so) and you can take the subway basically right to the store from where it drops you off in Philly (another $4 round trip).

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:52 pm

So Redcaps,

How are you looking to garner local interest? Are you going to stage some demo games for your established clientele? Do you have plans for any other sorts of advertising?

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 pm

redcapscorner wrote:As long as your parents are cool with it, the China Town bus is pretty inexpensive ($20 round trip or so) and you can take the subway basically right to the store from where it drops you off in Philly (another $4 round trip).
Not NYC although I was born in brooklyn no Im in central NY

redcapscorner
Champion
Champion

Post by redcapscorner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am

Rev. Sylvanus: I am indeed planning on beginning by hyping up our current customer base and roping them in with demos. I also plan to contact the PennLUG dudes for ideas and support, and hopefully they'll be able to generate more hype in the brick world. We will of course be utilizing social networking sites for advertising to the masses, as well, and if things continue to look promising, we'll likely spring for an ad or two on brick-related web resources.

NapalmKing: That's my mistake! I hope you can still make it down when we begin doing this, though. I'll keep this board updated!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 am

Sounds like a good plan, redcap.

If you need a hand with demos, send the word.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am

Philly sounds great for me, I live near Toronto (Ontario, Canada), so that's a much easier trip for me than St. Louis.

Light Brigade
BrikWars Legend

Post by Light Brigade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm

I live outside of Philadelphia. I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks, but I haven't gotten an army together yet. I've also gotten a friend into it, and once I place some orders from bricklink, I'll definitely try to check out your store.

redcapscorner
Champion
Champion

Post by redcapscorner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Awesome! For the record, we don't actually carry any LEGO product yet (except for a few of the board games, which are currently overpriced because we got gouged by a game distributor, who presumably got gouged by LEGO for one reason or another), though I'm in the process of applying to several toy distributors to make sure that we'll be carrying LEGO (mostly just minifigures and the board game line) as soon as possible. We do, on the other hand, already carry a ton of gaming supplies for other great games!

Also, I'm in the same boat as you! I don't have an army together yet either, but it's in the works! I've been hoping to get the product in at the store to finish off my army.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:46 am

Depending on my funds this summer I might be able to take a trip up there, but don't count on me; I've never been to Pennsylvania before.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."