August GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Battle

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

August GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Battle

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sat May 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I will be staying in North York for a couple of weeks at the beginning of August this year. I know Natalya will also be there and Aoffan is in the area. Would a get-together be in order?

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:03 pm

It sounds like a great idea to me, and I know where we could have it, too. I could ask my local gaming store to reserve some room for us to set up, because all their Warhammer tables are against the wall until someone wants to use one. EDIT: This could also be a good chance to get the store and the people who go there interested in Brikwars.

I should mention that it's in Markham, which is a little north of Toronto. It's not by any means far, but it's not located right in Toronto.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sat May 14, 2011 4:19 pm

A gaming store or neutral location would be good rather than someone's house. I am slightly limited in what i can bring due to flights and luggage. Infantry are not a problem but vehicles may be in short supply. My two Super Sandwich Guy ground vehicles, Space Commie tank and support, that's about it.

A unified ruleset/weapon list beforehand would be good too.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Holding it at someone's house is out of the question, since I'm not sure my mother would exactly approve of me asking to go to the house of a stranger I met on the internet for a day. :wink:

I'm sure Natalya or I (or anyone else that comes) could prepare you some vehicles beforehand, although I don't know how limited she'll be. In any case, I live about 15 minutes from the store, so I could bring my entire collection if I wanted.

I'm open to any rules suggestions, and there's plenty of time for making stats for everything. We should also decide on a game time (I would prefer an objective game).
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sat May 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah, the FBI wouldn't be happy about that either. I'm sure with some minor dissassembly I could bring most vehicles that I needed to. I am currently reworking my forces to maximize infantry but I will probably build a couple more vehicles before then.

Out of curiosity, what is your baseplate/terrain situation?

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Oh yeah, baseplates. At the moment I have:

3 white 16x16's
1 tan 32x32
1 green 32x32
1 light bley ?x? (it's the really big ones you can buy in stores)
2 green 16x16's with pit stop-ish patterns
1 green 16x24

I might get a couple 16x32's if I get the Pet Shop, but that's only a possibility. I think it goes without saying that we're probably going to have a plain table with moveable terrain baseplates, unless we manage to get enough baseplates from anyone that comes.

As for the actual terrain, I'd be more than happy to supply it all, especially since I now have a Lego store with PAB nearby.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat May 14, 2011 5:07 pm

The Markham place looks good to me. I will probably bring about the same amount of guys as were in the Peach Massacre of G.R. 2010 Round 2.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sat May 14, 2011 5:56 pm

the grey baseplates are 48x48, I believe. And if you guys do do this, YOU MUST TAKE PICS! it's been a long time since I've seen anything Sandwich Guy-related on this forum, it will be a welcome change :D

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sat May 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Okay, for a second I thought you were just being really racist to me, but then I remembered the Super Jews...

Markham sounds good to me too. I stay in North York so it's not too far. That sounds like a solid amount of baseplates too.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Well now that we have a likely location and approximate army size, we've got some more business to sort out.

1. What type of game (plain carnage or objective)?
2. What kind of setting and terrain?
3. Which ruleset are we using?
4. Are we using CP or just roughly balancing everything?

Aside from all the game stuff, we should set up a time & date. I'll have to see which weeks I'm heading up to my cottage, so I'm not sure exactly when I'm available yet. I think the store has open gaming on Sundays (I'll double-check when I pitch the idea), so we should aim for a Sunday. This would allow for minimum hassle and maximum potential recruits.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 am

aoffan23 wrote:Well now that we have a likely location and approximate army size, we've got some more business to sort out.

1. What type of game (plain carnage or objective)?
2. What kind of setting and terrain?
3. Which ruleset are we using?
4. Are we using CP or just roughly balancing everything?

Aside from all the game stuff, we should set up a time & date. I'll have to see which weeks I'm heading up to my cottage, so I'm not sure exactly when I'm available yet. I think the store has open gaming on Sundays (I'll double-check when I pitch the idea), so we should aim for a Sunday. This would allow for minimum hassle and maximum potential recruits.
I think objectives should be dependent on terrain. If w have a really nicely detailed map, then objectives. But if it's sparse then carnage.
I use 2005 rules with custom weapons mainly but I'm pretty open as i haven't written up rules for my current weapon set of late. I think some sort of CP system might be in order, agreed upon in advance. There is a lot of discrepancy between infantry even. My Super Jews have body armour and advanced SMGs while my Al-Kind-of just have partisans and militia with assault rifles and bolt actions. I like the idea of the Sunday too.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sun May 15, 2011 2:15 am

Also: Neat! I can see the Foo Fighters while I'm there!

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 am

CP balancing may be hard. My experience with RoC and Tuefish was that just showing up and playing with what you brought was usually a good plan. I also like Sundays.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Sun May 15, 2011 2:14 pm

If we make a unified weapons list then it may give us a better idea of what we're up against.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Mon May 16, 2011 11:49 am

I'm all for that. I need to re-do my Assyrian weapon stats now that Rayhawk got the new rules out.
  ▲
▲ ▲